Cannot start 4.010 on Windows 10 (1607)

Lansfa

I just installed SBProPE 4.010 on a new Windows 10 (1607) laptop. Codemeter runtime 6.30d was installed after the installation of 4.010. Then when I clicked the EXE file, nothing happened. And the event log shows an error as follows:

Faulting application name: SBProPE64cm.exe, version: 4.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x582c61fd
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x578997b5
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006ea1e
Faulting process id: 0x2530
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2773d133ffe8c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\eSim Games\SB Pro PE\Release\SBProPE64cm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: a2400d70-4f04-4ca9-9694-455a552aa924
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I have tried all methods mentioned in the pinned thread "SB 4.0: cant start the program [solved]", and it still doesn't run. Any idea about what I could do to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Laptop Specs:

MSI GS63VR

Windows 10 (1607; OS build 14393.693)

Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz

Nvidia GTX 1060 6 GB VRAM

16 GB RAM

Edited by Lansfa

Since this is dealing with your ucrtbase.dll, I would check that it is not corrupted, just to be safe.

Open your command prompt as an administrator (be sure to right click the icon and select run as administrator), and then type in the following:

sfc /scannow - This will scan all your system files, and replace them with a fresh copy of any are found to be missing or corrupted.

If there are no errors from this command, try ensuring it is registered in your system using the following:

regsvr32 /u ucrtbase.dll

Thanks for the hints. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.

The scan did not find any integrity violations. Then I tried the regsvr32 command as you suggested, but an error message showed up:

The module "ucrtbase.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllUnregisterServer was not found.

I have no clue what this means.

Edited by Lansfa

9 minutes ago, Sean said:

That is a microsoft c++ runtime issue, I believe.  Are you sure you are up to date on windows updates?

Yes, I believe so. Windows 10 is up to date, and I also downloaded VC++ 2013 and 2015 Redistributable (x64) on the Microsoft website then uninstalled/reinstalled them. The issue still persists.

• 3 weeks later...

I just figured out what happened with my laptop. It turns out the problem is Microsoft OneDrive on Windows 10. Once activated, by default Auto Save is set to the folder Documents under the OneDrive folders rather than the usual user folder in C:\Users\[user name]\Documents. This means any game or software that wants to create a folder under Documents will automatically save the folder under OneDrive. Somehow this created a problem as SB Pro PE failed to create the folder "eSim Games" under either "Documents" folder. In fact I couldn't find this folder anywhere on my laptop.

So the solution is to open Settings of OneDrive and find the tab "Auto Save", then set "Documents" under "Documents and Pictures" to "This PC Only". By doing so, the default Documents folder will be changed back to C:\Users\[user name]\Documents. This solve the problem and SB Pro PE 4.010 runs without any issue.

Edited by Lansfa

Effing Microsoft! Recently (and all of a sudden for no apparent reason), every time I opened a file explorer window, a dialogue would pop up asking me to sign in to OneDrive. I don't use it, nor do I want to, but Windows didn't bother to ask or even give me the option to tell it. I tried disabling it in the registry to no avail. I ended up having to uninstall it altogether.