Soviet Army Air Assault Company TO&E

Mirzayev

I am interested in the Soviet Union's Air Assault capabilities during the Afghan War. I have found some good information at the Battalion Level for the TO&E from FM 100-2-3, and some information on specific weapon systems at the company level from here: http://coldwargamer.blogspot.in/2012/12/orbat-soviet-air-assault-capability.html?m=1

I am curious about approximately the number of Troops in an Infantry Air Assault Company. I am guessing about 70 or so, but I wanted to see if I could get confirmation. 

Also, was the equipment used in Afghanistan different from the standard Cold War loadout? I am guessing that air-lifting BMDs was not that common.

On 27.1.2017 at 4:59 AM, Mirzayev said:

I am interested in the Soviet Union's Air Assault capabilities during the Afghan War. I have found some good information at the Battalion Level for the TO&E from FM 100-2-3, and some information on specific weapon systems at the company level from here: http://coldwargamer.blogspot.in/2012/12/orbat-soviet-air-assault-capability.html?m=1

I am curious about approximately the number of Troops in an Infantry Air Assault Company. I am guessing about 70 or so, but I wanted to see if I could get confirmation. 

Also, was the equipment used in Afghanistan different from the standard Cold War loadout? I am guessing that air-lifting BMDs was not that common.

Normally per TOE, there were  110men in air assault company- 7 officers, 3 warrant officers, 16 NCOs, 84 privates.

-Company HQ- 8 men, 1 BMD-1PK,

-3x air assault platoons, each consisting of 3 7-man squads and a platoon leader. 3 BMD-1Ps  per platoon.

-Machine gun platoon -PLt leader and 2 8-man MG squads riding 2 BTRDs. 3 PKS/PKMS crews per squad.

-Mortar platoon.  Platoon HQ element(Plt leader, 2 BTRD drivers) and 4 4-man mortar crews. 2 BTRDs and 81mm mortars.

Note that number of personnel exceeds  official BMD capacity and 2 BTRDs  of mortar platoon virtually have no place for mortar ammo.

Speaking of A-stan, 56th Independent  Air-Assault Brigade was created specially for this theater of operations and had its own TOE. All BMDs were replaced with  BMP-2s and BTR-70s, 1 of battalions had a tank platoon, mortar platoons had 2B14 mortars and GAZ-66 trucks.

Edited by Jartsev