• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 25/09/2017 at 6:28 AM, delta6 said:

Not 1 post on this subject since 09/04/17...I am impressed...

Huh?

9th of April?

Last post was in September.

Oh, wait, your one of those "Americans"

I don't get why you people write dates the wrong way round.

Que Strange....

:P

3 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

Nice. But it looks like the height map have some cleaning up to do (thinking off the small bridge at the strv122 3 o clock who has a hill in it etc). However I like the stuff like bus stops, road end poles and all that, get a Swedish feeling over it :)

/KT

Sure as long as all that street furniture doesn't impact frame rates.

Otherwise you'll end up with Combat Mission sized maps because all that "clutter" makes big maps unusable.

On 04/10/2017 at 7:08 PM, Gibsonm said:

Sure as long as all that street furniture doesn't impact frame rates.

Otherwise you'll end up with Combat Mission sized maps because all that "clutter" makes big maps unusable.

I'm not a programmer, but could you have a system whereby all the detailed stuff only actually exists in World if a unit is within a certain distance of it?

Also, could you exclude very small or thin objects like fences, lamp posts, electricity poles etc. from line of sight calculations for non infantry units?

Edited by ChrisWerb

• Members

Of course all kinds of tricks can be used to reduce the size of the problem, we're doing it all the time. But even then the fact remains that SB Pro version 4.0 does a lot more things per simulation/render cycle than version 3.0 (e.g. vehicle suspension), and with version 4.0 the line of sight calculations have increased by up to a factor of 512 (actually it's much less, but increasing the ground resolution by that factor also means that up to as many more LOS calculations could be needed). To put it in context, LOS calculations have the potential to be the biggest frame rate killer of all factors, in any simulation involving line of sight tests. So even if certain elements are only used within a "bubble" around certain actors, with many, dispersed actors the savings aren's as great, and you can't just randomly generate stuff if you need correlation - e.g. two players in a network session observing the same spot must have the same 3D representation of that spot's surroundings.

I guess what I want to say is that CPU cycles per frame are a finite resource, even if the limit is growing with new processor generations. So, whenever you add something there's a price to pay, and the question always is whether that price doesn't exceed the value of that new feature.

Fully understand the constraints but inevitably it points towards an upgrade in the graphics engine and use lawyer directx or Vulcan as well as offloading parts to a different cpu using one of the new frameworks that makes it somewhat easier to handle multi threading. 

Sorry to to say this but it sounds like the current engine is in its last leg as there isn’t much coming in terms of increase in CPU speed/cycles and cpu manufacturers has taken the consequence moving towards more cores.

have you considered crowd funding for a new initiative and to increase the market segment through means of such as graded realism in order to get more people interested? It could be a win/win if executed well.... just a thought.

i have considered myself to do a partially open sourced based simulator supporting modding and as such open up for a whole new range of options, greater variety and as such a broader market while still enabling hard core vehicle simulations.

• Members

When you increase LOS calculations by a factor of 512, no amount of multithreading will be able to offset that. That's not to say that multithreading isn't a worthwhile goal to pursue but it's always easier to throw buzzwords into a discussion than actually implementing the change. As far as crowd funding is concerned, all I can say is that I will not participate in any public debate of our business strategy. I'm here to explain our position to visitors that have no degree in computer science (why certain things are easy to do, but mostly why other things are hard, and that there's no free lunch in high performance computing).

I'm not necessarily soliciting for advice, no matter how well-intentioned it may be.

The reason is that it creates an imbalance in the discussion where I cannot adequately respond without revealing our business strategy. And constantly pointing out that I cannot answer X, "because classified" will at the end of the day undermine my credibility as the ambassador of eSim Games. I can but ask you to accept that there are limits to what I'm willing to discuss.

• 2 weeks later...

So where are we considering this patch now? Is it delayed indefinitely due to military contracts or we civilians still have the chance to see it?

Is it in beta test? If yes can we get some sneak peeks like we did for previous patch? 

Some news would be most welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...