• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

So, we are in mid 2018, any news about this, or it is a complete drop out? :(

What are the chances to get this in this year( if you are even plan to work on it again) or schedule is full until 2019? I guess finding it on page 4 is not a good sign.

Edited by BigBadVuk

1 minute ago, BigBadVuk said:

So, we are in mid 2018, any news about this, or it is a complete drop out? :(

What are the chances to get this in this year( if you are even plan to work on it again) or schedule is full until 2019? I guess finding it on page 4 is not a good sign.

+1 was wondering the same lately as it's gone very quiet for a long period of time. 

• Members

We're definitely working on it. The question is, what kind of an information policy works best. We try to be as open and up-front as we can about things, but there are limits as to how much actually makes sense to disclose. Sure, I guess we could set up a developers blog where you get a daily or weekly summary of activities, but I don't think that this is a useful investment of precious time, nor will it necessarily inform you better about the situation. The daily ups and downs are statistical noise, but often enough people misread them as trends and then you're forced to combat the spreading of rumors and disinformation.

To name an example, someone here in the forum once asked in October, maybe even in this thread, about "Steel Beasts 5.0".

I never mentioned it, for the simple reason that it doesn't exist, not even as a concept. To this day I still have to answer emails inquiring about its release date, and what the features will be. This simply absorbs so much time, I'm not keen on having more of that. That's why I usually keep my mouth shut. There are occasions - like when Rock Paper Shotgun asked about a statement (in the cotext of asking a lot of other developers at the same time), so I gave them my assessment of the situation which wasn't fundamentally different from what I wrote here in the forum, plus a handful of nice-looking screenshots.

Today, I saw for the first time an earthmover digging an emplacement at runtime.

In about 17 hours we'll be demonstrating it live at the annual Steel Beasts Conference for our uniformed customers. Then ITEC week is on, and we'll be back home for the weekend to do the laundry and catching up on emails, and resuming the blood work of bug killing.

I've mentioned it before on a couple of occasions, but I guess it deserves repetition. Release dates for the Personal Edition depend on a work schedule that we set well in advance. Releasing a PE version is "a work package" just like "creating a playable T-72" is "a work package". It means to committ more than 50% of the entire team's work capacity for more than four months towards that single goal. If, for whatever reason, this window of opportunity is missed, you can't just extend that deadline. Other jobs are waiting, and with them come contractual obligations. Only once that we have fulfilled our obligations can we think of setting up another period devoted to a PE release.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:30 AM, Apocalypse 31 said:

Sounds about right for anything related to Eagle Dynamics!

NO actually. dont recall any content being promised in 2 weeks by ED and being overdue by 3 years.

ED doesnt give exact dates either, only "end of the month (or season) deadlines" if content is deemed far along to be sent to Pre purchase status and generally it is has been thus far to such rough deadlines. 

Edited by Kev2go

20 hours ago, Ssnake said:

We're definitely working on it. The question is, what kind of an information policy works best.

A simple we are working on it, without any deadlines or promises works very fine. Anything above that an you will make some mistake in judgment when is the deadline and will you be able to pull it or not. 

We waited this long, we can wait more, and if in the meanwhile you drop some 4.xx or 5.x patch even better.

20 hours ago, Kev2go said:

NO actually. dont recall any content being promised in 2 weeks by ED and being overdue by 3 years.

If you would think twice you would remember the famous Nevada terrain which should be released short after the A-10C standalone...

2 hours ago, BigBadVuk said:

AWe waited this long, we can wait more, and if in the meanwhile you drop some 4.xx or 5.x patch even better.

Did you not read this ....

23 hours ago, Ssnake said:

To name an example, someone here in the forum once asked in October, maybe even in this thread, about "Steel Beasts 5.0".

I never mentioned it, for the simple reason that it doesn't exist, not even as a concept. To this day I still have to answer emails inquiring about its release date, and what the features will be. This simply absorbs so much time, I'm not keen on having more of that. That's why I usually keep my mouth shut. There are occasions - like when Rock Paper Shotgun asked about a statement (in the cotext of asking a lot of other developers at the same time), so I gave them my assessment of the situation which wasn't fundamentally different from what I wrote here in the forum, plus a handful of nice-looking screenshots.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:08 PM, FSKRipper said:

If you would think twice you would remember the famous Nevada terrain which should be released short after the A-10C standalone...

IF you would think twice remember that They never said 2 weeks.... And they "delayed" it for good reason. To Upgrade the Game engine  which would have been far more overdue if they opted to do it later( which was paid off TBH despite the long development time. look at 1.5/2.0 and the recent 2.5  Merge release). and started Nevada map from scratch in a  much more Hi res Model and much more representative of Vegas

Something you seem to forget. quite a selective memory. But then again this is why ED has stopped promsing anything and not sharing as much with regards to development process,  people like you who complain any time a perceived deadline is missed ( again there wasnt a specfic release date noted anyhow)

Edited by Kev2go

On 5/13/2018 at 3:59 PM, Ssnake said:

We're definitely working on it. The question is, what kind of an information policy works best. We try to be as open and up-front as we can about things, but there are limits as to how much actually makes sense to disclose. Sure, I guess we could set up a developers blog where you get a daily or weekly summary of activities, but I don't think that this is a useful investment of precious time, nor will it necessarily inform you better about the situation. The daily ups and downs are statistical noise, but often enough people misread them as trends and then you're forced to combat the spreading of rumors and disinformation.

Today, I saw for the first time an earthmover digging an emplacement at runtime.

In about 17 hours we'll be demonstrating it live at the annual Steel Beasts Conference for our uniformed customers. Then ITEC week is on, and we'll be back home for the weekend to do the laundry and catching up on emails, and resuming the blood work of bug killing.

I've mentioned it before on a couple of occasions, but I guess it deserves repetition. Release dates for the Personal Edition depend on a work schedule that we set well in advance. Releasing a PE version is "a work package" just like "creating a playable T-72" is "a work package". It means to committ more than 50% of the entire team's work capacity for more than four months towards that single goal. If, for whatever reason, this window of opportunity is missed, you can't just extend that deadline. Other jobs are waiting, and with them come contractual obligations. Only once that we have fulfilled our obligations can we think of setting up another period devoted to a PE release.

Its alright I understand not giving deadlines.  Sadly like the aforementioned ED example some people  will mercilessly complain any time a "perceived" deadline is missed, Hold that grudge against a "perceived broken promise"  even If there was a good explanation for why new content isnt released yet. SUch people will continue to bring up  as Ad hominum  argument for forum discussions for other content that is announced for development.

ON the other hand some community memberss will complain if there is no transparency or News  of progress re Development Cycle. So really you cant win :/ 

Guess you have to go for something in between. Personally i appreciate you taking the time to explain things and reassuring us things are being worked on. 

Edited by Kev2go

For those who are impatient, if you need to hurry on something, then might I ask that you hurry up and wait.

Plans do not usually go as planned.

Personally, I am amazed at how quickly and efficiently the eSims team is at maintaining and updating their amazingly wonderful product that is known as Steel Beasts, all while still taking the time to hear and respond to the requests of those of us in the Personal Edition bracket of customers.

As much as Nils and his team does for the Personal Edition owners, I feel the last thing we should do is complain or try to rush things, and instead be grateful not only for all that has been done, but also the fact that we are even allowed to have access to a Personal Edition version of the software.

Thus, I ask that we do our best to support the eSims team in their amazing efforts and try our best to be patient, understanding, and courteous.

• Members

I appreciate the understanding, but at the end of the day you're customers and therefore have a right to voice your own priorities. That doesn't mean that we're legally or morally bound by your suggestions, but we'd be ignoring them at our own risk. All else being equal, I'd rather know exactly what you want rather than believing that everything's peachy when the silence I meet is nothing but suppressed rage.

;)

As always, thank you for your time Sir Nils. Also, my apologies; I did not mean to imply that we should be ignored nor silent, but more along the thought patterns that if we were to first be more appreciative then we might be more civil and open-minded as well.

• Members

That's how I understood you. :)

But then again, text in a forum is a flat medium that carries no emotional undertones (one of the reasons, I think, why the interwebs are regularly a place that brings out the worst in human behavior - no fear of retribution, being regularly confronted with cognitive dissonance, and plain misreading others' messages).

On 5/18/2018 at 1:28 PM, Gibsonm said:

He said every time someone mentions "5" it creates a mess for him to clean up.

And then you go and mention 5 straight away, twice now.

That is crazy.. who cares is it 4.5 5.0 or 10.0.. It is just new content and it is not so frequent at all so .. Who cares how it is called, as long as something new happens this year at least...