ETA on terrain patch?

Nercon

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let’s see if it will ever happen. Been told for so long that one reason after another that it is constantly getting postponed. The graphics engine is so old and outdated. Sorry to sound pessimistic but the please look back at what improvements ther has been over the last many years. I’m impressed with the patience people have in this forum to keep saying ‘it’s ok’. 

• Members

A lot of the changes that we had to work on were really hard to do. That invoked a lot of uncertainty about projected release dates. But I am now confident that we have a near release-ready product by now. I admit that I had my doubts around end of 2017/mid 2018 whether things would work out, but the latest version that we have demonstrates much improved frame rates (that is, better than in 4.0). This required a myriad of optimizations - including a complete replacement of all vegetation artwork to allow for the instancing of trees, and ground clutter. And the biggest effect was to be seen only relatively late in the process (like, a week ago). It's one thing to know that such a change is coming, and another to experience the effect first hand.

4.1 will bring much improved AI in select demonstration cases, for both vehicles and infantry, especially when navigating obstacles such as "parked cars" on the road side, "blocked" bridges by one immobilized vehicle, dealing with water, and wadi edges, infantry formations moving in urban terrain. Again, these improvements required massive changes to much of the underlying legacy code. Which, in turn, created a few hundred bug reports that had to be identified, reported, supplemented with a test case, then solved (and be tested again and again in daily automated test procedures).

Finally, 4.1 will also come with an entirely new model of high explosive and fragmentation effects. We couldn't finish that work, but we have reached an intermediary stage that will already bring a lot of pretty cool improvements. But replacing the legacy code was, again, a tough nut to crack for the same reasons as outlined in the "AI" section above.

The changes in the file structure for the map files caused a massive cascade of other changes since we wanted to retain user flexibility and some degree of convenience for multiplayer sessions; like the ability to pull a missing map from a server simply by copying a unique identifier code and pasting it into a dialog in SB Pro (and then to be able to define more than one server from which to query your files ... so every community can set up their own server, if so desired, for their own set of map files). Again, all that needs to be tested.

You all cannot thank the beta testers enough. They really had it rough. More than any of you, we want this to be over!

So you can believe me, we will not delay the release a minute longer than absolutely necessary. We're mere humans here at eSim Games. I cannot divine the future. I understand that you as customers want to know what's ahead, and I admit that we made a serious mistake in April 2016 when I released videos of the new engine in the mistaken belief that we would be ready a few months later when the beta testers told me that we were not. In April 2019 I'm telling you that we will be ready in a few months with more confidence because I've learned to listen more closely to the beta testers, and the beta testers have learned to voice their objections more bluntly.

@Ssnake

Nils: give me a beep if I can help with anything.

I am so looking forward to the finished product. 

For me this is software is already excellent and without any real peer in its niche.

Does that mean its without faults, quirks and things that need and could do with improvement? Obviously and clearly not. 

But I can still do most of what I want in making a scenario - and the future seems bright.

Edited by Nike-Ajax

On 4/22/2019 at 8:58 AM, Ssnake said:

You all cannot thank the beta testers enough. They really had it rough. More than any of you, we want this to be over!

Until the next update rolls around....

In April 2019 I'm telling you that we will be ready in a few months with more confidence because I've learned to listen more closely to the beta testers.

Excellent!

and the beta testers have learned to voice their objections more bluntly.

LoL.

:D

Bluntly.

That word is charged with meaning.

:D

On 4/24/2019 at 11:53 PM, Ssnake said:

Correct, version 4.0 and 4.1 are still pretty close to each other as far as the render engine are concerned. But even at eSim Games, the days of DirectX 9 are numbered.

I know it not a pressing issue as you're 1 or 2, old school computer players out there holding out from buying a new rig or upgrade from their old commodore 64, tandy machines. 

8 hours ago, Wolfseven said:

I know it not a pressing issue as you're 1 or 2, old school computer players out there holding out from buying a new rig or upgrade from their old commodore 64, tandy machines. 

Well it is also important for the military users.

If I need to swap out X hundred boxes it does become a point of interest.

Edited by Gibsonm