Destroyed bridges?

Trackpin

Hi,

Reaching out to mission designers...

Have seen dropped bridges in some scenarios, but cannot find the damaged pier or roadway parts in the Map Editor to make my own look as nice.

Is this a damage modelling product, so each bridge has to be actually blown as the scenario loads? Or is there a hidden library of damaged objects in SB?

Just leaving out a span works, but does not look as good. 

Advice appreciated!

Trackpin

Grenny,

Thanks. That worked a treat and completely destroyed both spans the stone two lane, class 3 bridge.

46 minutes ago, Grenny said:

place an IED on a bride. set to detonate if gametime is bigger then 00:00 seconds

Particularly if you just can't "hold your peace".:) Very Tarantino!

If you only wanted to drop a single span, so it could be bridged with a Biber for example, is the trick where exactly to position the IED or should I use some other munition?

Would multiple claymores do the trick? How many?

Trackpin

Claymores will never do it.

Artillery / air-strike might do it, but the accompanying sound effects aren't appropriate.

An IED can but you need to "test and adjust" to get the placement right (enjoy the multiple iterations). :)

You can also use the IED option to damage building and other pieces of infrastructure and provide a degree of immersion. Just ensure the setup areas are some distance from the IEDs or you'll damage more than the building.

19 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Claymores will never do it.

Artillery / air-strike might do it, but the accompanying sound effects aren't appropriate.

An IED can but you need to "test and adjust" to get the placement right (enjoy the multiple iterations). :)

You can also use the IED option to damage building and other pieces of infrastructure and provide a degree of immersion. Just ensure the setup areas are some distance from the IEDs or you'll damage more than the building.

Hi Mark,

Yup, Yup, Yup and Yup!

Have spent last couple of hours doing each of the above in that very order. :)

Airstrikes bracketed bridge, so FAC laser designation is probably not in SB. Yet.

Have done some dissimilar double bridging too. The Biber trackway is significantly wider than the MT-55 scissor bridge.

Still find the AI path-finding wants to jink to the right before the vehicle has cleared the treadway, ie as soon as it is back over the edge of the remaining span.

The need to manually drive the lead vehicle of each platoon across the mobile bridge rather dampens the tempo and makes a simultaneous move hard to co-ordinate in solo play.

Makes me appreciate the work that goes into the scenarios SB users kindly share!

Thanks for the comments. Claymores...what was I thinking!?

Trackpin

Mark,

Thanks for the tip.

Will try it out, but I was under the impression that Assault automatically actioned a change to Line formation. Bearing in mind published tips for preventing AI from mindlessly driving full tilt into the nearest body of deep water, in what order should I set this up from a Halted, March order, Column formation (wide)?    Is it:  Assault; Slow; Column, Wide; or Assault; Column, Wide; Slow? O.o

Is the crux of your advice that "Assault" somehow over-rides the "keep-right" or "keep-left" on-road driving code?  If so, halleluja!

I would far rather the default road "path" AI was "Drive Straight Up The Bloody Middle, Mate, There's a War On"; and just slow and swerve around obstructions/oncoming traffic (me Tank, you Trabant; make my day!).  How often has anyone in SB met a friendly column coming down the opposite side of an MSR in the FEBA anyway? >:(

Will experiment further..

Trackpin

I personally would use the following conditions when ordering an assault across a bridge, in the following order:

Formation: Column

Width: Close

Speed: Slow/Fast (Depending on if taking fire or not)

This will get your formation across the bridge in a quick manner, allowing them to transition back to a more appropriate formation on the other side. Spreading out your units (Normal or Wide) makes good tactical sense, but it will take the formation longer to cross the bridge. This means that you either have to place the next way-point further from the bridge, or accept the fact that some units may become separated from the formation. Once all vehicles have crossed, assume a normal or wide distance between vehicles as necessary according to the terrain, and the enemy situation. 

17 minutes ago, Trackpin said:

Mark,

Thanks for the tip.

Will try it out, but I was under the impression that Assault automatically actioned a change to Line formation. Bearing in mind published tips for preventing AI from mindlessly driving full tilt into the nearest body of deep water, in what order should I set this up from a Halted, March order, Column formation (wide)?    Is it:  Assault; Slow; Column, Wide; or Assault; Column, Wide; Slow? O.o

Is the crux of your advice that "Assault" somehow over-rides the "keep-right" or "keep-left" on-road driving code?  If so, halleluja!

I would far rather the default road "path" AI was "Drive Straight Up The Bloody Middle, Mate, There's a War On"; and just slow and swerve around obstructions/oncoming traffic (me Tank, you Trabant; make my day!).  How often has anyone in SB met a friendly column coming down the opposite side of an MSR in the FEBA anyway? >:(

Will experiment further..

Trackpin

Well when you select Assault you can also adjust the other information.

It defaults to Line since most times you Assault that's the formation that you want.

When you select "Assault" you can then choose "column" and it will adopt the Assault methodology while staying in column. you can do the same thing with spacing.

So if you aren't under fire, I'd suggest Assault, Column, Wide so if the lead vehicle does have an issue, No 2 and 3 have space/time to react. I'd also select a mid range speed for the 200m or so as again you avoid a traffic jam if someone stops.

Unsure if it overcomes the the keep left/right issue but it does make them focus on advancing along the route you select.

Breach also makes them focus but the tank's turret will "traverse off" to minimise the affect of mine blast - and you may not want that when crossing the bridge.

In terms of sequence, I'd suggest:

Halted

March

waypoint

Assault, column, wide

waypoint

March

Picking the "right side of the road" can be important in peace ops (where you work with the civilians - not drive over them.

Its also good to select "left side of the road" when you want to play with Americans' minds and make them remember that in many countries people drive on a different side of the road. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

8 hours ago, MAJ_Fubar said:

You do realize that all of this stuff is in the wiki?

FUBAR,

Thank for your glib, but inaccurate, observation.

All of the points discussed above are not in the linked "Bridges" wiki page;

1) My original post asked about inserting the visually accurate "damaged" bridge sections in the Map Editor. SBWiki states "Scenario designers wishing for a "damaged" bridge with a gap spannable by AVLBs should manually create the desired gap in the map editor."  This would suggest that the broken span and pier objects were available within the Map Editor and I asked here if this was the case or if the broken parts were the product of damage modelling. Grenny and Gibsonm helpfully confirmed that the latter was correct, hence damage to bridges can only be seen in the Test phase of the Mission Editor.

2) The subsequent discussion about path-finding while crossing AVLB laid bridges (we did not expand this to contested/uncontested situations) is catagorically not in SBwiki, as "Crossing Damaged Bridges. WIP"  is the existing entry. Therefore the advice to use Assault or Breach crossing AVLB bridges is new information, for which I am grateful.

3) Some experimentation is taking place to ascertain if it is possible, by careful placement, for IEDs to remove a single span in the middle of a long bridge, leaving the correct damaged parts. Certainly the first or last spans can be dropped by placing the IED at the appropriate end of the bridge.

4) As the position of the piers cannot be seen in the map view, tweaking the IED position is an iterive process, and would have to be done for each bridge. but no-one here says designing detailed scenarios is a quick business. What I figure out, I will share. Others can decide if it is worth adding to the SBwiki.

It was the existance of a single dropped span on the long road bridge SW of Aladari (4050,1650) in ArchAngle7's epic "Sovereign Shield 4.3" that got me looking at damaged bridges at all. Thank you for updating it, Sir.

Any tips on achieving identical legacy damage to a bridge (so not using airstrikes!) most welcome.

Trackpin

The end on the water will be above the surface, but the bridge itself bridge arcs up and then back down to the end, which looks a bit odd. Also, some bridges (concrete 2 lane for example) have broken concrete and rebar sticking out of the free end and don't look bad like that, but the stone bridges just cleanly end if they're not blown up by explosives.

As far as the pathing goes, you need to put the bridges on the lane that vehicles want to drive on, which varies from bridge to bridge. So, for the stone bridge where vehicles drive so far over that they partially clip into the wall on the side, you'll want to place the bridge accordingly.