Training

Fred Williams

I'd suggest you select "a" vehicle (the choice is yours) and become profficient in it - i.e. do all the Tutorials.

Lots of skills learnt on say a M1 are transferrable to CR2, Leo, etc. (e.g. vehicle craft, navigation, etc.).

Then once you are happy with "a" vehicle in a family (say a tank) select another on the list and you may well find that 80% of it is similar and there will be just some differences (usually in the fire control system area).

If you half complete the tutorials on "a" tank and then jump to say "a" IFV you'll find it harder and take longer.

No doubt lots of people will now tell you their preference for the "a" vehicle, but at the end of the day its up to you. Perhaps being from Canada you'll be a Leo (1 or 2) fan, but you could just as easily pick the M1 series (or CR2 or T-72, or ...)

You can of course just "jump in" but make it clear to the others that you are brand new and they'll probably pair you with a mentor or avoid giving you a critical role.

Its highly unlikely you'll be lumbered with a vital job if brand new, unless of course you don't tell anyone that you are brand new. :)

Of course much of this is already included in the previously referenced "Starter Pack". :)

Edited by Gibsonm

2 hours ago, Fred Williams said:

As a newcomer would it be best to go through all the different Tutorials first before playing ? There are a lot of them and i wondered if you need to as far as playing solo. 

Gibsonm's guidance is spot on. Pick a vehicle and stick with it until you are very comfortable on that platform  before moving on. The easiest is probably the Leopard 2A5, but I would pick the vehicle that you are most passionate about. Even though the Leopard 2A5 is usually recommended as the best "starter" tank, I trained on the M1A1. 

Once you have completed ALL the Tutorials for the vehicle, I highly recommend for you to hit the Tank Range hard. Practice until you can get at least a score of 90 every single time. Once you are good with that, download Tacbat's Gun Runner series, change the default tank to whatever you are training on using the mission editor, and run through those scenarios until you have about 80% accuracy and 10 seconds average time to kill. 

From there, try your hand at instant action, and practice berm drills (or jockeying if you prefer) and gunnery against targets that shoot back. Also, practice calling in IDF; it is a vital skill for any single player scenario.

Once you have made it to this point, download the Camp Hornfelt scenarios, change the tanks as necessary in the editor, and run through all of those. 

All the info for these scenarios should be found in the Starter Guide on the Wiki (thanks, Gibsonm!) If you are able to complete all of these scenarios, you will be FAR better off than the majority of newcomers going into their first multi-player game.

Calling in carefully selected IDF on a suspected or known enemy advance route, watching columns of smoke start to appear behind a treeline and reading the report after the battle to see what my DPICM connected with is one of the most pleasing things for me in single player.

4 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

Calling in carefully selected IDF on a suspected or known enemy advance route, watching columns of smoke start to appear behind a treeline and reading the report after the battle to see what my DPICM connected with is one of the most pleasing things for me in single player.

You should try a multiplayer game at some point. A good FSO is always a welcome addition to any roster. :)