How to change armor crewmen

Splash

This is a tutorial on how to change your AFV crewman model.

I wanted my Israeli tankers to look less ... well ... Russian. 

52BRyIq.jpg

... And more like this guy.

SwNvQ9j.jpg 

So here's how I changed that.

This requires only basic familiarity with the mission editor, and although I'm using Israel as an
example, the process works the same with any nationality in SB.

With your AFV forces already on the map and 'IL' selected as the Camouflage scheme for that side, RIGHT-
click on one of the AFV units. Then under Options in the context menu, select "Set look of crew."

4b3go9T.png

In the dialog box that appears, scroll through the list and choose how you want your crew to look. I'm
using the AFV Crewman (US) because it looks more like the crew in the 1973 photo above. But perhaps your
force is made up of African rebels, and you don't want the armor crews in neat, black, Russian tanker
outfits and helmets. You could pick one or more of the many "rebel" models for the crews. This is a great
feature in version 4.x, and the possibilities are numerous.

Select the model name -- AFV Crewman (US) in this case -- and click the ">" button.

DWI3j1I.png

This moves your selected model into the right-hand window. Now click on "Apply to all units of this
type
."

4Fs1Mop.png

If you were to click "OK"instead, you would be changing only the crew of the currently selected unit. In
my African rebel example above, this would let you repeat the process for each platoon (or even each
tank) on the map, selecting a different-looking crew for each, if you wanted. 

Once the "apply" button is pressed, the dialog box will disappear, and your Israeli crew will now look
like this in the 3-D world:

kRivFP9.jpg

Additionally, I have modded my Israeli crews to look more the part by color-matching the UStanker.dds
with the infantry skin and placing them in the desert/il folder in mods/textures/camo.  

MW82NHX.jpg

• Members

Note that you can't randomize among the vehicle crews like you might otherwise be able in other places. Which is OK for highly standardized crew appearances. But if you were to pick one of those rebels (which we made to look particularly ... colorful and outrageous), it would be the same rebel in all the tanks unless you selected a different rebel manually (and I'm not even sure if it's possible to split all platoons, set individual crews for each tank, then merge the whole back and retain the individuality). Anyway, the same rebel guy on every tank is more of an immersion breaker than swapping uniformed crews for other uniformed crews. OTOH, we'd expect the rebels to have only a handful of T-55s anyway, so maybe it's not so bad in practice...

Servus,

I think our rebel solution was the result of to many beers, but worked very well. The "problem" is you have to replace the rebel guy skin in the original esimgames folder.

I think it was in one of the last Kanium sunday games (from Ronin, Un in africa). I was observing my area and spotted rebels in oliv camo tank overalls with a german green beret and was wondering why a couple of seconds.:)

Anyway, Splash feel free to upload more of your crew skins, I like them and can not have enough.

cheers

D u k e

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Note that you can't randomize among the vehicle crews like you might otherwise be able in other places. Which is OK for highly standardized crew appearances. But if you were to pick one of those rebels (which we made to look particularly ... colorful and outrageous), it would be the same rebel in all the tanks unless you selected a different rebel manually (and I'm not even sure if it's possible to split all platoons, set individual crews for each tank, then merge the whole back and retain the individuality). Anyway, the same rebel guy on every tank is more of an immersion breaker than swapping uniformed crews for other uniformed crews. OTOH, we'd expect the rebels to have only a handful of T-55s anyway, so maybe it's not so bad in practice...

Splitting a platoon, choosing a different crew for each, then reconsolidating the unit does not negate your crew selections in individual vehicles. True, you cannot at this point use multiple models orskins in a single tank, so your advice about the 'outrageous' choices is well-taken. Still, you never see more than two crew at a time in a given tank -- and just the commander from and external/enemy viewpoint. So It's a very versatile and useful feature and I thank eSim for including it.

7 hours ago, D u k e said:

Servus,

I think our rebel solution was the result of to many beers, but worked very well. The "problem" is you have to replace the rebel guy skin in the original esimgames folder.

I think it was in one of the last Kanium sunday games (from Ronin, Un in africa). I was observing my area and spotted rebels in oliv camo tank overalls with a german green beret and was wondering why a couple of seconds.:)

Anyway, Splash feel free to upload more of your crew skins, I like them and can not have enough.

cheers

D u k e

It actually was seeing that mod in a PzBt911 video that led me initially to look into this feature. Since then, someone requested a skin mod and, well, here we are.

I could ask eSim for one thing more regarding crew and infantry model choices ... but I won't here at risk of derailing the thread.

And yes, I do have a few more AFV Crewman skins planned. Thanks.

Soon available, in addition to the Israeli skin above, two more that require nothing more than to drop them into the mod folders:

CGr2kSK.png

A British crewman in Desert DPM. The vest has been painted to "suggest" the presence of Osprey-type body armor. A truer representation would require modding the normal map, which I prefer not to do for now.

And one I've been using myself since 4.0 came out ... US Army in Iraq War DCUs.

jEtQQew.png

Stay tuned for more.

On 04/03/2017 at 2:04 PM, Splash said:

~snip~

Additionally, I have modded my Israeli crews to look more the part by color-matching the UStanker.dds
with the infantry skin and placing them in the desert/il folder in mods/textures/camo.  

Be aware we did spend a fair amount of time researching the colours for the original files.

33 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

Be aware we did spend a fair amount of time researching the colours for the original files.

I appreciate that. I just wanted my Israeli tank crews to be wearing CVC helmets and the same color olive uniforms as the infantry.

Attached are the stock textures. Are you suggesting the Israeli AFV crews should look more like the guy on the left?

SS_15_53_23.jpg

On 3/4/2017 at 9:33 AM, Ssnake said:

Note that you can't randomize among the vehicle crews like you might otherwise be able in other places. Which is OK for highly standardized crew appearances. But if you were to pick one of those rebels (which we made to look particularly ... colorful and outrageous), i

Greevil would have loved this option back in the day!

Edited by daskal

2 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Great looking textures, as usual Splash. 

Looking forward to your multicam crewman uniform. 

Check the PM I sent you March 2. 

7 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

Oh my sweet lord! I love this! Can I put in a request for a Swedish crewmember in M/90 camo on the "US Tanker"? :)

I could do that. :D

SS_10_24_19.jpg

On 3/10/2017 at 11:52 PM, Panzer_Leader said:

Nice work Splash!  I think you can legitimately say "Everyone look this way and say "Vegemite and cheese!" as some people apparently like that combination in their sandwiches... :)

Vegemite & American Cheese, best combo on earth.

• 1 month later...