Any good captions for this one

Marko

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

You would be that to if you get the order "excel in this or die".... 

I meant that as a joke, but I think sadly enough its not... 

I often wonder what is real and what is propaganda when it comes to North Korea.

No doubt Kim is a looney tune despot.

But if its as bad as were told i just don't understand why the people would not rise up against such oppression.

I realise everything is state controlled and there intelligence service is brutal but other communist regimes fell that used the same level of oppression.

6 hours ago, Marko said:

I often wonder what is real and what is propaganda when it comes to North Korea.

But if its as bad as were told i just don't understand why the people would not rise up against such oppression.

I realise everything is state controlled and there intelligence service is brutal but other communist regimes fell that used the same level of oppression.

Well the NKs have one thing the Soviet union didn't have. 

A foreign Sponsor.

The Bank of China to bail them out

Even though the NKs'll never admit that.

One of the main reasons NK is still pestering the world is NK is a convenient buffer between China and the US presence in SK.

According to US doctrine China is the new Soviet Union and MUST be challenged.

Even though as far as I know China has never been overtly militarily provocative towards the US.

6 hours ago, Marko said:

There is something you should notice that's different with North Korea than say, the USSR or other terror regimes. It's actually quite normal for North Koreans to cross the border into China to get provisions or transact business, and then cross back into North Korea again. If they wanted to escape many of these people would not be returning. You didn't really see that with the Iron Curtain. There are reasons for that, i.e., the simplistic narrative that all North Koreans are waiting to be free is somewhat incorrect. The regime's hold over the population must have some basis more than just terror. Maybe Stockholm Syndrome? Maybe to a degree, maybe more:

North Korea has deleted any references to Communism or this sort of thing from its constitution, and it does not behave like so-called communist states did in the past. Moreover, observers of North Korean propaganda have noted that there are rather overt comparisons to WW2 fascism and racial propaganda circulated in NK, which the leadership would have learned from the Japanese experience; the theory goes that North Korea purchases loyalty from its citizens in various ways rather than just merely oppress them (the giving of gifts and rewards for loyalty, productivity), so it's not entirely coercion but there are reward incentives offered as well. Moreover, the North Korean regime has instilled a sense of racial superiority in its people, that there is something unique about them in the racial purity in the Korean-ness that the outside world simply lacks, again, which sounds a lot like what was coming out of the fascist states in WW2. This is likely how at least, even if the people weren't altogether happy about the situation in North Korea, there is a sense that they are all locked into it together against the vile West, which is responsible ultimately for their condition. That's why there are all kinds of museums and things like this in NK and selective history canards which tells the people and tourists into NK who really was responsible for the Korean War, and the North Koreans are now suffering still as a result. But the Koreans are a strong people, and will stand up to their oppressors.

So that is apparently  instilled in NKs to an extent, it's just a matter to what degree each man woman and child believes it. And that's really true for us all, not to draw a crude comparison, but none of us really believe every ideal and state myth taught to us in school by our own public education  system and civics lessons, we all instinctively know when something was being over-sold to us, but yet we don't necessarily revolt, either.