Scenarios, maps, skins, and 4.0

Deputy276

Having a problem using all three of these items in 4.0. Was wondering if none of the previous creations are compatible? For instance, I downloaded M1A1 Desert Storm Skin 1.0, installed it in the correct location, but all I see is woodland camo on the M1A1. I downloaded Desert Patrol 1 scenario and it wouldn't allow access in the mission Editor for me to look at anything. Are there a bunch of compatibility problems with the new version and previously created files? 

• Administrators

The answer will always be "it depends".  Did the model change since the skin was done?  If so, it could look bad...  When you say you installed things in the "correct" location, where is that exactly?  Did you restart steel beasts after copying the files into the mod folder?

If you want to open up the scenario in the mission editor, you'll need the terrain and height map called out in the scenario.  Typically there should be a error message saying something along those lines.  What was the error message?  The scenario designer can also password the scenario if they choose. 

Well I got the skin working. I was hoping it would replace ALL the skins in the game for M1A1, but it only replaces what's in a scenario. I'm in the process of making my own "first" scenario. Can't seem to get my pacifist tankers to engage in battle. They drive up to each other and then seem to want to have a pizza party. Nobody shoots, even though they are set to fire at will. Maybe they are waiting for the guy named Will?  

You really need to start giving better descriptions of what you are doing if you want people to help you... 

Regarding the skins. the skin you drop in the mod folder replaces the M1A1 skin for that country choosen in the mission editor. so you can have 1 M1A1 skin for USA, 1 for Australia and 1 for russia if you so like. You also need to add the skin to both Woodland and Autumn to cover "normal" terrain and desert and winter if you have a desert/winter skin.

A skin is never tied to a scenario.

/KT 

1 hour ago, Kingtiger said:

You really need to start giving better descriptions of what you are doing if you want people to help you... 

Regarding the skins. the skin you drop in the mod folder replaces the M1A1 skin for that country choosen in the mission editor. so you can have 1 M1A1 skin for USA, 1 for Australia and 1 for russia if you so like. You also need to add the skin to both Woodland and Autumn to cover "normal" terrain and desert and winter if you have a desert/winter skin.

A skin is never tied to a scenario.

/KT 

I was under the (mistaken) impression that the mods folder covered ALL areas of the game. I now know it doesn't. I installed the desert skin, but if I go into the training area, the woodland skin shows. 

28 minutes ago, Deputy276 said:

I was under the (mistaken) impression that the mods folder covered ALL areas of the game. I now know it doesn't. I installed the desert skin, but if I go into the training area, the woodland skin shows. 

So does the scenario use a map with a desert theme?

If the map is using a woodland theme then the woodland camo applies.

There is an order in which SB checks for vehicle textures to the best of my knowledge:-

nb: when I say theme I mean other than woodland (ie desert, winter, autumn).

[Mods](theme)-(nation)

(theme)-(nation)

[Mods](woodland)-(nation)

(woodland)-(nation)

[Mods](theme)

(theme)

[Mods](woodland)

(woodland)

So for example if the scenario is on a map with a desert theme with a US side SB will look in:-

Mods Desert/us

Desert/us

Mods Woodland/us

Woodland/us

Mods Desert

Desert

Mods Woodland

Woodland

it will use the first texture it finds.

4 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

There is an order in which SB checks for vehicle textures to the best of my knowledge:-

Ah, but it doesn't work the way you've explained.

It's more like

[Mods](theme)(nation)
(theme)(nation)
(theme)
(woodland)(nation)
(woodland)

If there is no skin in the correct mods folder, the game will not look in any other mods folders. the path does not lead back to the mods directory after it goes to the main game directory.

So your example on a desert theme with a US 1990 side would be:
Mods Desert/us
Desert/us
Desert
Woodland/us
Woodland

Boom.

If you don't have a skin in the mods/theme/nation folder, the game goes to the main installation directory and does not come back to mods. It won't look in your mods/woodland folder for a desert theme.

The takeaway here is that if you're in Deputy's situation and want to use the same M1 skin all the time regardless of season/theme, you need to drop a copy of it in multiple mods folders.

1 hour ago, Splash said:

Ah, but it doesn't work the way you've explained.

It's more like

[Mods](theme)(nation)
(theme)(nation)
(theme)
(woodland)(nation)
(woodland)

If there is no skin in the correct mods folder, the game will not look in any other mods folders. the path does not lead back to the mods directory after it goes to the main game directory.

So your example on a desert theme with a US 1990 side would be:
Mods Desert/us
Desert/us
Desert
Woodland/us
Woodland

Boom.

If you don't have a skin in the mods/theme/nation folder, the game goes to the main installation directory and does not come back to mods. It won't look in your mods/woodland folder for a desert theme.

The takeaway here is that if you're in Deputy's situation and want to use the same M1 skin all the time regardless of season/theme, you need to drop a copy of it in multiple mods folders.

EXCELLENT!!! Thanks a ton for that info! I will do exactly that :)

7 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

well I was talking about your pacifist tankers initially, it sounds very odd but without any better (detailed) info nobody can guess the issue.

/KT 

If you want, I can send you the scenario to look at, as far as pacifist tankers. It is still in "early development" stage, so it hasn't been totally fleshed out. I am sure I am doing something wrong and just don't know exactly what it is.   

20 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

well I was talking about your pacifist tankers initially, it sounds very odd but without any better (detailed) info nobody can guess the issue.

/KT 

If you want, I can send you the scenario to look at, as far as pacifist tankers. It is still in "early development" stage, so it hasn't been totally fleshed out. I am sure I am doing something wrong and just don't know exactly what it is.   

Ha! Figured out how to attach it on the forum :) Thanks guys!

test.sce

Edited by Deputy276

The issue is that all the tanks are on the same side, they're all blue force.  You need to switch to the Red force (upper right corner of the screen, arrow next to "Blue") and add tanks there and give them routes to attack the blue force.  The T-tanks you have think the M-1s are on their side because they are.

22 hours ago, TSe419E said:

The issue is that all the tanks are on the same side, they're all blue force.  You need to switch to the Red force (upper right corner of the screen, arrow next to "Blue") and add tanks there and give them routes to attack the blue force.  The T-tanks you have think the M-1s are on their side because they are.

DOH! I knew it was something basic that I wasn't doing. Okay, let me pack up the leftover pizzas and end that party. Thanks guys!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...