Multiplayer netiquette

ShotMagnet

Some advice for getting the most out of your MP experiences:

Show up on time, you keep everyone waiting when you don't;

Show up early to identify and/or correct connectivity issues, as again you keep everyone waiting if you try to join a game and find that you can't, while in the process forcing everyone to burn time that they could have spent playing, and remembering also that some of us are on the clock;

Be sure you have installed all necessary patches, upgrades, etc, beforehand, as there's nothing that drags down everyone faster than trying to help someone for maybe a half-hour, only to find out that the someone doesn't have/didn't install/wasn't aware of the latest update(s);

In the planning phase, when you've got your orders and set up your units, click on the button that says 'Ready', as again you keep everyone waiting when you don't.

We all know that computers are like cats, and ultimately can't be brought to heel, but there are certain basic steps one can take before the start of a game to help move things along. Your team-mates will appreciate a little forethought on your part, and you'll get a better gaming experience in the process.

Sean, any chance of making this a sticky?

Shot

• 3 years later...

New to organized MP, done plenty of platoon size co-op with friends, but how does the planning stage work? I take it theres a High Command person in charge, BN commander, or maybe a CO? They tell platoons what to do, where to go, or just give a general mission order and let the platoon leader give orders to the platoon? Do we usually split up via tank, or platoon...etc etc...

Could you elaborate on the planning stage command and control, so I don't look like a fool and HOLD PEOPLE UP? ;)

thx

There's pretty much no chance you'll hold anyone up :D

Once everyone is loaded in to the briefing and map, the Red or Blue CO will draw and brief everyone on their plan via the map graphics and TeamSpeak. If there are enough people, their might be positions like Company Commanders who will get their orders, then develop and brief their own plan to their players. It's all pretty straightforward.

New to organized MP, done plenty of platoon size co-op with friends, but how does the planning stage work? I take it theres a High Command person in charge, BN commander, or maybe a CO? They tell platoons what to do, where to go, or just give a general mission order and let the platoon leader give orders to the platoon? Do we usually split up via tank, or platoon...etc etc...

Could you elaborate on the planning stage command and control, so I don't look like a fool and HOLD PEOPLE UP? ;)

thx

Well I hate to say it but "it depends".

If you are turning up for say TGIF, the commander sees the map at the same time you do and has to come up with a plan on the spot.

If you are in say something like the current "Red Tide '85" campaign the side commander gets the map roughly 24 hours earlier and at least for blue (me) does a sketch and gets it out to his subordinate company commanders for comment / situational awareness. Then on the day we still have a blank map but we have a concept so the explaining takes less time.

If you are say playing against the AI, you can use the "save plan" feature to develop a plan (including unit locations, etc.) and then issue that to subordinates by "loading the plan" prior to mission start.

• Sean unpinned this topic