Improved Fire Mod uploaded

ChanceBS

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recommend applying the xplode1.dds file- this is the file which ties in the coax/autocannon/ICM hits, and they don't in my view improve on the original. A lot of things are recycled in SB Pro, which is something to consider when spending the time modding as a change in one area may adversely effect others.

I like the improved fire though- thanks. Waiting to see what you guys do with the smoke.

Looks great, here is a great pic as reference for muzzle flash:

I was about to say, "That looks pretty darn good!" then realized it wasn't the game!

I remember muzzle flashes being somewhat bigger. It looks like the camera caught that pic before the flash reached full size. I'd estimate the size of the muzzle flash as a ball about 20-30 feet in diameter seen from the rear, but I've seen pics that show it as being elongated in the direction of fire.

For those who haven't experienced the real thing, the muzzle flash is quick, like a flash bulb. The sound is very much like a shotgun, but louder. If you're anywhere near the tank you feel the heat from the muzzle flash. The color is what you see in that picture: yellow/white. You don't notice the color difference at the edges of the muzzle flash because it's so quick. The edges aren't perfectly smooth.

When HEAT hits a tank, you just see a flash. But in infrared it looks like a fountain. We didn't have thermal sights in the M60A1 days.

Larry

I like the improved fire though- thanks. Waiting to see what you guys do with the smoke.

Smoke is a bit harder to mod, the main reason is that most of the smoke is looped animation of between 6 and 12( i think) frames we have tried a few, but nothing that improves on the stoke smoke enough to release, but be patient its on its way and I'm sure you will like it. S!

The xPlode.dds effects,

HE, KE, COAX, 50 CAL, ICM, ARTY on initial impact. A quick flash. resized for each weapon.

However xPlode.dds also effect the muzzle flash of every weapon in the SIM, right down to small arms fire. Thats alot.

Believe me, to find a graphic to "kinda" fit all the many uses of xplode.dds was not easy. After a few threats from the girlfriend, to step away from the computer, I settled on the xplode.dds uploaded.

The most prominant use of the xplode.dds is during the tank muzzle flash. The compromise getting the tank muzzle flash to "kinda" fit with the other uses, was to settle with a approx. 28' x 30' foot flash.(Based on the Pic below). This will have to work for now. But I think your missing out on the full effect of the mod not installing the uploaded xPlode.dds IMHO.

This Mod is BETA as we want to improve upon it.

flash2-1.jpg

It looks great!

I agree the fireball from the main gun should be whiter (see attached thumbnail) but it's a huge improvement over the default.

I'm not sure how realistic the hit explosions are (we used to put drums of gasoline in targets to get that effect for firepower demonstrations) but there's no doubt when you get a hit. Pretty spectacular!

A real plus on the immersion scale :)

Thanks!

HT

merk.jpg.fd3e6c51ae4e7a3cab4a317c7d8f32f

merk.jpg.fd3e6c51ae4e7a3cab4a317c7d8f32f