SB Pro PE 4.0 Hardware Discussion

Parachuteprone

• Members
On 29.3.2017 at 3:28 PM, daskal said:

wow - are we expecting a new update? Is there an info thread on it somewhere? Couldn't find one.

To answer your question: Yes, we are.

• We announced even back in August '16 that we'd release an update later that would bring the new terrain engine. Back then we assumed that it would take us half a year. As it turns out, "one year" would have been the more accurate prediction, but these things are inherently difficult to estimate, so I'm rather unapologetic about that.
  • We announced with version 4.010 that we'd release an update in the first quarter 2017; looks like we'll be running a week late, but again, it's probably better to give you something that is reasonably well tested rather than blindly adhering to an arbitrary date.
  • As per my statements above, this one won't include the new terrain engine. Rather, we saw it as our mission to improve general performance over the 4.0 results, and while the final numbers aren't in yet, overall I think it's safe to say that you will notice cases where the frames will be up substantially; however, these improvements aren't across the board, but if they are mostly in situations where the frames are really bad in 4.010 and before it's probably better than having higher frames where they used to be good already. :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a i7-4790K 4.00GHz GTX 980, 12 RAM, I recently upgraded to a GTX 1080, 32 RAM.  Maybe a slight improvement in FPS for SB.  Every other program I have was A quantum leap in FPS, with Much Higher resolution than before.  All I want for 2017 is for My investment in My PC to pay some dividends In SB, even a few FPS better would Make Me do the happy dance.

• 2 weeks later...

My results to date attached.

Caveat: have done some additional screen shots as it wasn't specified if some of the views were zoomed in or not.

Can provide screen shots if people want to know which is which.

Will run again on both machines when 4.xxx comes out.

Steel Beast performance.xlsx

Edited by Gibsonm

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:50 PM, Brun said:

I have a i7-4790K 4.00GHz GTX 980, 12 RAM, I recently upgraded to a GTX 1080, 32 RAM.  Maybe a slight improvement in FPS for SB.  Every other program I have was A quantum leap in FPS, with Much Higher resolution than before.  All I want for 2017 is for My investment in My PC to pay some dividends In SB, even a few FPS better would Make Me do the happy dance.

Big improvement in FPS.  Happy dance will commence.

So I've tested the existing machine with 4.019 and surprisingly, for the comments about 4.019, took some FPS "hits" (4.010 = 34.8, 4.019 = 30.7). :(

These tend to be in the M60 component - Tests 1 - 5:

0:26 / 0:31: TI view of forest unmagnified

0:29 / 0:36: TI view of forest magnified

3:12 / 3:16: View though daysight in rain

3:19 / 3:25: TI view of forest unmagnified

3:21 / 3:30: TI view of forest magnified

3:56 / 4:34: View from Commander driving towards town.

About to test new machine and will post completed spreadsheet.

Steel Beast performance.xlsx

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

As it turns out, the benchmark doesn't create a scene that shows the particular improvements in 4.019 when you have lots of walls, fences, hedges, and other linear obstructions. Those seemed to drag down the frame rate in previous 4.0 versions particularly badly - no longer.