Just sharing how I recolored Steel Beasts Legacy by editing the Europe.act file with a palette editing tool

frankiekam

Hi Steel Beasts enthusiasts and gamers

Just to share that I've managed to recolor Steel Beasts Legacy by editing the Europe.act file. I used the free tools Cyotek Color Palette Editor and Paint.NET to achieve this.

4-Color-SB1-redo.jpg 

The images above are from actual in-game screenshots. What have I achieved from this? Well depending on my mood, or just for the fun of it all, I can change the Europe.act file to a different theme to play SteelBeasts Legacy in a different colour palette. So in effect, I can make a 'new' game, every time and anytime I want it. There is nothing wrong with the original out-off-the-box colours of Steel Beasts Legacy. If anything, I believe that the development team had chosen the most realistic colors available to compliment the gameplay and sounds. The artist is me wanted to see if I could introduce other colors, and I am glad that I achieved it. And in the process, I had lots of FUN doing it. Here are three more in-game screenshots of my handiwork:

rich_colors_sb1.jpg

If you eyes hurt after viewing this highly-saturated-colors image, you know who to blame. :-)

Saving_Private_Ryan_colors.JPG

The Leopard and terrain in the colors of Saving Private Ryan using the Bleached Bypass Effect.

Half_Saturated_Colors.jpg

M1A1 in the half-saturated colors terrain version of Steel Beasts Legacy. This is the "Moving Ambush" scenario - my favourite scenario.

If any rare breed of Steel Beasts enthusiats is still running Steel Beasts Legacy on VirtualBox, I have attached the Adobe Color Table (*.act) files in this post. You are most welcome to try them out. If no one else is plays Steel Beasts Legacy (once in while for nostalgic reasons) these days, I am okay with that. I too own a copy of Steel Beasts Pro PE 4.010 and it is an excellent simulation. One that is getting better and better over time. I can't wait for the dynamic terrain version.

Of course Steel Beasts Pro PE 4.010 is lightyears ahead of Steel Beasts Legacy in all aspects. That said, I still find the gameplay of Steel Beasts Legacy very absorbing. This is testament to the brilliance of the development team of the early years of Steel Beasts. The icing on the cake for me is to be able to change the colours of the game. My long term goal is to one day experiment with changing the colors of Steel Beasts Pro PE, just for the sheer fun and challenge of doing it. Perhaps one day I could change the stock-out-of-the-box colors of SB Pro PE from this:

sbprope4010-original.jpg

to a slightly more saturated-colors version like this:

sbprope4010-suturated.jpg

The former being more realistic and functional, whilst the latter is just me being artistic for art's sake. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. ;-)

Regards

Frankie Kam 

Europe_Bleached_Bypass.act

Europe_eyes_hurt.act

Europe_original.act

Europe_Half_Saturated.act

Edited by frankiekam

• 3 weeks later...

Just be aware that in networks sessions the "server" can take screenshots.

So if you choose to colour enemy vehicles "Hi Viz" pink to make them easier to target, the person running the session will be able to check.

This sort of conduct in multi player is very much frowned upon (i.e. classified as cheating).

Edited by Gibsonm

Hi Gibsonm. Thanks for the advice and warning. I'm only using Reshade for single player and not for multiplayer. Sad to hear that cheating happens in games like chess and even SteelBeasts. Sucks the fun out of the game, especially when others are playing honestly and fairly. I haven't come across any feature or setting in Reshade that will selectively color the enemy's tank hot pink or some other stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb unnatural colour, whilst leaving the other vehicles and environment untouched. Reshade paints the entire screen with the same brush. E.g. if I choose Sepia, the entire output becomes Sepia-fied. Come to think of it, hypothetically speaking, if I had a virtual death wish and used a mod to color my vehicle "Manfred von Richthofen Red Baron" red, that wouldn't be considered cheating - would it? Is committing virtual suicide cheating? 

Edited by frankiekam