AH-1Q Cobra instead of the AH-1F?

Viper1970

Hello to all,

I'm a new to SBPro PE 4 and I must say this sim really rocks!!! Had played SBGold and M1TP2 before, but it's really hard to get those sims running today. So it was really time for a modern tank sim in my combat sims collection.

I'm a sim junkie and play also Falcon BMS 4.33.3, EECH AllMods 1.16.1, Dangerous Waters Reinforced Alert 1.41 and ARMA 3 with available realism and real vehicle mods.

A realistic tank sim of today was missing until now! I'm awaiting my version of SBPro PE 4.0 classic this week (codemeter version). Couldn't wait to see it in action. For now I have only watched many videos at youtube.

Only thing which makes me wonder is, why have they chosen the AH-1Q version for the Cobra!?! The one that was in service in the 1980's in Europe was the AH-1F with the flat canopy glass. Have seen them a lot at airshows here in Germany. O.k not a big deal, but SBPro is very realistic and there is a timeline for all models, so I just wondered why the Cobra is a version which never played a real role in active service. They were all soon upgraded to the AH-1S version and those were upgraded to the last and final version of the U.S.Army, the AH-1F which was the most used one during the 1980's.

Firstly Welcome!

I'm unsure why you are waiting for the dongle?

Pretty sure they provide a short term (1 month?) complimentary time based license to get you up and running straight away while you await the package getting through the mail, customs, etc.

No idea about the Cobra question.

1 hour ago, Viper1970 said:

O.k not a big deal, but SBPro is very realistic and there is a timeline for all models, so I just wondered why the Cobra is a version which never played a real role in active service.

More than likely the modeled bird is based off of what the model maker had available for reference.  In this case it looks a lot like the AH-1Q on static display in downtown Killeen, Texas...

It was a welcome addition.

Really does add something to a mission if you can deploy weapons systems and platforms that were actually used in the period the mission took place

Hopefully a BO-105.Gazelle and a lynxs in the next major update.

Hopefully we will, one day, get the version with the slab sided cockpit glass and the three-barreled chain gun under the nose.  D Trp. 2/9 Cav got them in 1980.  They brought them out to show them to us when we were in the field one day and then brought them to the range to show us what the 20mm could do to targets.  I liked it.  The only other time I saw a Cobra up close, relatively speaking, was in April '83.  One cobra a day would fly the entire DDR/Czech border that was alongside the US forces AOR and they had it fly over the border camp one day just to give us an up-close look.

I'm also looking forward to the day the UH-1 becomes available.  And the Kiowa.  That would make an air cav troop look right.

Yes,

an OH-58D Kiowa and an AH-64D Longbow Apache for more modern times would be nice. To complete the air cavalry a Bo-105 PAH-1 and a Mi-28 Havoc would be perfect. But its a tanksim in the first lane.

@ Gibsonm

The dongle arives this weekend, and I haven't so much time to play, cause I'm building a fighter and attack helo universal homecockpit at the moment ( or since the last two years :D ). It's much work cause I rebuild many original HOTAS from different helicopters and jet-fighters. The whole pit is functional and has working instruments and MFD's. So there isn't much time for playing! But if it's finished I will only play!