Iraq vs. IS

Captain_Colossus

my focus lately is creating a scenario with mixed vehicle and infantry interaction less so high intensity combat between mechanized forces; using current events in iraq as the backdrop, this was mainly to experiment with the more complex infantry behavior that has developed, which has also led me to experiment with some mature themes, and which may encroach on certain sensitivities for obvious reasons, for instance, rescuing hostages before time expires, or in a another version of the scenario playing the role of enemy terrorists for interesting tactical decisions (which wasn't the original intent until i was scripting behavior in the scenario editor); i may not offer this for upload if the community or esim finds this objectionable, but some screenshots below of a map and scenario in progress:

SS_14_16_01.png

SS_14_32_28.png

SS_14_32_35.png

SS_22_06_22.png

SS_22_31_59.png

SS_22_48_40.png

SS_22_54_08.png

SS_23_06_19.png

SS_23_29_37.png

SS_23_40_31.png

SS_23_41_00.png

SS_23_50_48.png

Thx for checking.

1st screenshot is close to objectionable for me personally.

But then again, if you warn ppl in the description of the scenario, it's up to each to decide to play or not.

Other screenshots look top ! ;-)

Best, K 

I say what I said when we had the morality discussion about

ukraine in 2014. 

We are adults and can seperate game from reality, we are already playing a brutal game where virtual people dies to the left and right if you.

do the scenario the way you like it and if someone gets offended that is their problem, and you should not limit yourself after others.

/KT

4 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

ukraine in 2014. 

We are adults and can seperate game from reality, we are already playing a brutal game where virtual people dies to the left and right if you.

do the scenario the way you like it and if someone gets offended that is their problem, and you should not limit yourself after others.

/KT

Spot on.

4 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

ukraine in 2014. 

/KT

Fully agree. Sure, some of the subject matter may be disturbing, but I wouldn't consider it distasteful. Maybe put a disclaimer in the download description, but don't censor your work. 

Re:Morality

War is horrible, and horrible things happen in times of war. The effects of a sabot dart hitting a vehicle and turning the crew into pink mist is just as bad as (if not worse than) a 7.62 round to the skull at close range. 

With that being said, asymmetric and insurgent scenarios always appeal to me - maybe because of my personal experiences - but I generally find them difficult to pull-off in Steel Beasts - its more suited for general/combined arms maneuver. Good luck pulling it off, and I'll definitely try the scenario when its released. 

Also - @Splash We need modern Iraq Army skins!

2 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Also - @Splash We need modern Iraq Army skins!

We need a modern Iraq Army model.  Unless one were willing to sub another nation to get a closer approximation of weapon and gear.

For now, I've just been using a chocolate-chip pattern. Seen a lot of photos with them wearing this camo. Just about everything else about it is wrong, though. If there were at least an uncovered kevlar helmet option ....

iraq.jpg

i don't want to spoil all the surpries; the btrs at this point represent security vehicles for shiite militias, (which will also include mraps), and of course the hmmwvs are in there; a few t-55s provide infantry support. the taliban figure will be removed, for now it's just a place holder while i am testing.

• 2 months later...

hopefully esim will give the ai the essential ability to call mortars at some point- quite simply the terrorists and insurgents won't have them. at any rate, this is going to take a few more weeks, i'm still populating the map with nice things, and i've also changing some of the building textures so that they look more uniform and aren't several shades of tan/brown/white. for instance, the eu warehouse simply didn't look right below in the environment, so i took some textures from other buildings and re-skinned it. there are before and after shots below. the large mosque is also a work in progress.

SS_12_34_48.png

SS_14_27_02.png

SS_14_12_29.png

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2017 at 5:57 PM, Captain_Colossus said:

my focus lately is creating a scenario with mixed vehicle and infantry interaction less so high intensity combat between mechanized forces; using current events in iraq as the backdrop, this was mainly to experiment with the more complex infantry behavior that has developed, which has also led me to experiment with some mature themes, and which may encroach on certain sensitivities for obvious reasons, for instance, rescuing hostages before time expires, or in a another version of the scenario playing the role of enemy terrorists for interesting tactical decisions (which wasn't the original intent until i was scripting behavior in the scenario editor); i may not offer this for upload if the community or esim finds this objectionable, but some screenshots below of a map and scenario in progress:

Interesting but personally i think steel beasts isn't ideal for these sort of scenarios. In this kind of conflicts Aerial power, and Light infantry forces are more dominant than Armored forces. 

I think such a scenario would either work better in ARMA ( from point of playable infantry with Combined arms support) or DCS  ( Fixed or Rotary winged pilot suporting Ground forces) , because Steel beasts doesnt let you play 1st person as a infantryman controlling every movie, Gunshot etc, not directly pilot a Helicopter from the Cockpit. Worst of all. Fixed wing support In SB is almost non existent save for off map invisible plane coming in for a pass dropping  a few unguided bombs.

Edited by Kev2go

it will still be vehicle centric from the player's point of view;

while there will be several units under control, i intend to limit the amount of playable units, one or two per mission max (with perhaps limitations on external views); this gives a different feel for a mission when players are limited to a single vehicle more or less, you lose the vehicle, the mission is over. i want to curb the tendency for players to take artificial risks, and also i think even in my own experiments, i tended to appreciate playing with less chances to mess up, hot seating from unit to unit as tempting as it is also reduces immersion, it comes at a cost. less units under direct, playable influence gives all the more a critical sense of survival.