Crusty

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Again: We can't include that terrain in SB Pro PE.

The new terrain engine will make old terrain data look a bit better than the current one, but we have no permission to use (nor the money to buy) high-res LIDAR scans.

The big question is who was commanding the marder.

And playing chicken with the dismounts lifes. 

I would have dismounted my milaan team to hunt the target in the tree line and withdrew my Ride four against one is not good odds. LoL

Nice video though.

Edited by Marko

48 minutes ago, Marko said:

The big question is who was commanding the marder.

And playing chicken with the dismounts lifes. 

I would have dismounted my milaan team to hunt the target in the tree line and withdrew my Ride four against one is not good odds. LoL

Nice video though.

No way. Esim should finalize the Marder model. What he should have done is launching the MILAN from the TC hatch!!

7 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The new terrain engine will make old terrain data look a bit better than the current one, but we have no permission to use (nor the money to buy) high-res LIDAR scans.

Likely useless for military customers, but could in theory 'fantasy' terrain be user generated in this resolution?

Enjoining the mouse mat, thanks! 

15 hours ago, Grenny said:

Are there nations with open source LIDAR data? 

There is this:

http://www.ga.gov.au/metadata-gateway/metadata/record/gcat_89644

But I believe that "bare earth" means just that (i.e. no vegetation, no water, no made made features, just the underlying topography).

Edited by Gibsonm

4 minutes ago, Rotareneg said:

First return products on the other hand will show everything, meaning grass, bushes, etc.

Understood, but that version is FOUO (For Official Use Only) so certainly not in the public domain.

Edited by Gibsonm

I was just speaking generally. Besides the getting a point cloud, there are three more refined products:

Bare earth:

ErELQsM.png

First return:

6jfGo3L.png

And intensity:

2tmN1cG.png

And to compare those 1 meter examples to what SB currently supports, here's a 12.5 meter version:

7vQOjoZ.png

• Members
42 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

But I believe that "bare earth" means just that (i.e. no vegetation, no water, no made made features, just the underlying topography).

Yes. This is what one would really want when creating terrain databases. First return data are terrible to work with in our field (tactical/vehicle simulation), so the raw LIDAR scan is usually not good enough.

Dune field visuals remind me of the Novalogic Games "voxel" technology of 20 years ago. In its day a great leap forward over contemporary polygon-based terrain graphics. For now, it would be great to lose the rectilinear high colour contrast (almost Minecraft..) look of the near field terrain textures in 4.019. The mid to distant field pallete of subdued colours looks more realistic, certainly for temperate latitudes.

Ground detail, especially roads, also seems to pop in and out a lot more in 4.019 when in observer mode on UAVs/Helos. Anyone else noticed this?

There was a Norwegian co, Blom ASA,  doing a lot of Lidar surveys in Scandinavia a couple of years ago. Eventually all this data will percolate down to the public domain, once the cost has been amortised by various agencies.

Trackpin

17 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Does not seem so...