German term for the "passage of lines" operation

pamak

Hello everybody,

I am trying to find the German term for the "passage of lines" type of operations.

I often find this term in English manuals (forward or rearward passage of lines) which signifies the type of operation during which  a unit passes through the area of a friendly unit in order to  continue an attack (as in the case of the forward passage of lines) or to withdraw towards the rear (as in the case of the rearward passage of lines). However, I cannot find this type of operation in the few German WWII manuals I have. I also tried to find the German term in the TM 30-506 (German-English Dictionary)  but I could not find it.  I am somewhat surprised that the German manuals I have (including Truppenführung) do not include the " passage of lines" operation together with the the classic ones of march, attack, defense, delay, withdraw, etc. On the other hand, it does not make sense to assume that  the Germans ignored and did not teach the principles of the "passage of lines" this operation. So, there must be somewhere a German term equivalent to the "passage of lines." Can anybody help?

Thank you

Hi pamak,

"passage lane" has different meaning in German: "Ausweichweg" a route for picking-up friendly troups, "Annäherungsweg" a route for changing troups or with regard of an attack, "Lückenweg" with regard a gap between minefield.

"passage of lines" means "phase lines", in German: "Durchlauflinien". It's a coordination line according time and location during march, attack, delay etc.

Edited by Abraxas

Thank you Abraxas for the reply.

I am not sure if any of the above is equivalent to the "passage of lines" operation as it is defined in the Anglo-Saxon manuals. For example, I do not think that any of the terms you mention can be used to describe the operation of passing a whole tank division passing through a friendly infantry division in order to continue an attack  An English manual or war diary or operations order will describe such an operation by saying that the tank division executes a passage of lines. In other words, the term  "passage of lines"  is quite broad and describes an operation which can include many of the elements you mention, such as, coordination lines or gaps between minefields and so on. 

Now I've understood! In your Anglo-Saxon manuals the passage of lines means: attacking/passage across own position/lines (for example infantry) and continue attack for example with armoured units. In German: "Angriff über eigene Stellungen/Kräfte". Hence, it's absolutely necessary to co-ordinate this by "Annäherungswegen" and lines to open fire or stop it. 

• Members

Passage of lines = "Ablösung durch Angriff", the way I understand it. Unless we were talking about a rearward passage of line, which is "Aufnahme" (shifting the perspective from the passing unit to the one that mans the front line).