Can't use ATGM sight / fire unless set tactics first?

paradoxbox

Can someone confirm or deny whether this is the case? I recently tried some practice with ATGMs and noticed that if I manually moved infantry in the F7 view, I can't switch to the launcher sight unless I first go to the map and set the tactics of the unit to something other than the default "none". Every time the solders are moved manually the tactics reset to "none" so it makes firing an ATGM really inconvenient when you are in a serious pinch.

I had a situation where several tanks were coming across a bridge and I wanted to create a blockade by killing the lead tank, but because of this behavior I lost the opportunity to kill the first tank on the bridge.

Any other ways to do this properly, or advice?

Press "E" botton once you have manually moved the team. Give them a hold tactic will also help keeping them in the exact place.

Also you need to consider the times for setting the launcher up when planning an ambush..

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately in the particular situation I was in, pressing E resulted in the troops trying to walk off somewhere else, while the tanks were rolling on in front of me about 800m away. There was decent cover but according to the E key it wasn't good enough. The situation also developed too quickly to have time to create a route and try to fiddle with the menu.

Is there a way to set the tactics of the current unit without using the map screen?

Appreciate the replies but it still feels like a clunky solution when we really should be able to bring up the weapon pronto whenever the troops are stopped. I would not be fiddling with my map or radio to change my squad's tactics in the field if I had a target appear out of a forest 1000m in front of me.

1 minute ago, paradoxbox said:

we really should be able to bring up the weapon pronto whenever the troops are stopped.

Well that's probably part of the issue.

"Pronto" for an ATGM team is a lot longer than "pronto" for a pistol or an assault rifle.

Setup times are in the high seconds to minutes, not instantly.

Also ATGMs are normally sight in prepared positions with Engagement Areas etc., not fleeting snap targets - after all given the time of flight the target might disappear again before the missile travels the 1,000m is if its a small gap in the trees.

11 minutes ago, paradoxbox said:

Appreciate the replies but it still feels like a clunky solution when we really should be able to bring up the weapon pronto whenever the troops are stopped. I would not be fiddling with my map or radio to change my squad's tactics in the field if I had a target appear out of a forest 1000m in front of me.

If a target apears 1000m in front, and you are not already set up in a prepared ATGM position...you're up shit creek with no paddles IRL, and so it should be in game. 

I do support the idea to have the ATGM team set up their weapon in situ at the press of a hotkey. But that process take roughly 20-40 seconds for light atgms...so IMHO it will not help with your initial problem

Edited by Grenny

I agree with you both that the position may not be perfect, and I well understand that the deployment time for the weapon may take a while, but be that as it may, even if the deployment takes 45 seconds, that is 45 seconds I have to do something else other than babysit the AI troops in front of a bridge or at the edge of a mountain draw.

Sometimes the scenario designer or the AI just happens to get the ai troops into a certain circumstance where this kind of thing happens. The position may not be perfect but if the targets are there, I want to be able to shoot them. In the recent scenario I ran, I was able to kill 3 or 4 tanks with 2 or 3 individual soldiers who just happened to be in the right forest near a bridge which the enemy had decided to use as a main advance route. The ATGM delay threw a wrench in my plans but I was still able to take care of the tanks behind the first one and created a major logjam. Time is of the essence.

If you change the 'defend' tactic's building behaviour to 'stay outside', putting them into a battle position (default binding E) will make them stop and setup the launcher, without walking away to go inside a building: (top edge of map screen/options/default behaviour in buildings/defend/stay outside). Theres your 1 click command for setting up a launcher. You should get familiar with the default behaviours for routes and tactics.http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Moving_Units_On_Routes

You can also edit route waypoint tactics : (top edge of map screen/options/default route waypoint tactics/engage [etc])

Also; that WIKI page needs some updating, its pretty important info for people trying to learn the game.

Cheers

Edited by Bond_Villian