how to dig a hull down position?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Grenny said:

...and no, currently it is not possible to "dig" a battle position during game-time, only in the mission editor, or placing/moving them during the planning phase

which is sad but would be a cool feature which would make the AEV usable :)

3 minutes ago, DK-DDAM said:

gibson doesnt have to take 6 hours to dig.. script wise enable the engineer to dig the positions with the AEV.. with a 2 minute timer for example.

The problem is that digging a battle position in two minutes is entirely unrealistic, and could easily become 'gamey.' 2 AEVs could dig ten hull-down positions in ten minutes, which is absolutely insane. 

26 minutes ago, DK-DDAM said:

true... true... how long would u say it would take with a dozer?... and 2 min was not ment as the time it should take...

It depends on the type of dozer and the type of battle position being built. 

For example, it takes a single dozer with a large blade about 1.5 hours to dig the equivalent of a one-tier non-camouflage position. Using a smaller dozer? Expect that time to increase to around 2.5 hours. Want a two-tier battle position with camouflage? Expect your engineers to be digging for around 4-5 hours on that single battle position.

Most multiplayer games that I have participated in last around 1.5 to 2 hours, for comparison. 

Edited by Mirzayev

5 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

It depends on the type of dozer and the type of battle position being built. 

For example, it takes a single dozer with a large blade about 1.5 hours to dig the equivalent of a one-tier non-camouflage position. Using a smaller dozer? Expect that time to increase to around 2.5 hours. Want a two-tier battle position with camouflage? Expect your engineers to be digging for around 4-5 hours on that single battle position.

Most multiplayer games that I have participated in last around 1.5 to 2 hours, for comparison. 

Problem is, that depends very much on the terrain you're doing that in. (Would give esim much of a headacke also)

In the north german sandbox (Bergen, Munster), you can do a single-tier scrapeout in 5 minutes...2-3 pushes with the dozer blade, then rolling over it to solidify the ground. job jobbed.

Trying that in southern germany, gets you within the 1.5 hours ballpark.

Also: while a dugout in the south would provide decent cover, the lose sand in Munster, is onyl good enough to detonate ATGM early ;-)

but the reason why i said this about having a timer for building those is so they actually have a function in SB other than being a movable object.. cause if we gotta talk realism then we also gotta make it take longer time to increase the timer for barbed wire to be placed cause that takes long time aswell..know its a simulator

Edited by DK-DDAM

37 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I'm not going to have a programmer look up the times in the source code, sorry. But you can try it out, take the time, and let us know. Maybe it's listed in the SB Wiki.

Send me the Sb version that can dig entrenchment in runtime and I will happily test the times for you :)

The idea is to reflect the amount of Engineer effort, you have available.

So if your role is considered important enough you would be allocated some Engineers to build these for you and then they'd move on to their next job.

Company Commanders don't get a sizeable piece of Engineer plant permanently allocated to them.

Then you need to site them as part of your plan. Ideally in a given fighting position each vehicle gets a primary, secondary and alternate position and each of these are sited to be mutually supporting, etc. So after a few hours/days of planning the Engineers build them (time taken as mentioned above depends of the type of soil, do they need reveting (lining), etc.).

To think that in a scenario, after the fighting has started, that you can just decide to put them in at some new location, in a few minutes is highly unlikely.

On 6/6/2017 at 9:07 AM, Ssnake said:

We use the figures given to us by our customers. They pay for it - they get to choose how much time it should take.

Ssnake, I will give you 50 big ones, that's US, to build 2-level fighting positions, with grenade sumps and piss tubes :).

• 2 months later...

so how is this different from battle position? From reading the manual, a battle position is one where minimum hull is visible to LOS, thus affording protection to the crew in the hull.

If someone would be courteous enough to produce a youtube for this I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by wildbillkelsoe

Well a "battle position" is a location where you fight from - ideally hull down to the threat (hence the "minimum hull is visible to LOS " part).

Battle positions can be natural (a suitable fold in the ground or a reverse slope) or man made (the ones that most of this thread is devoted to).