Wednesday 14th of June  "Kanium Wednesday Ad-Hoc Session 1" by ?

When: Wednesday 14th of June at 19:00 CEST (UTC Offset: UTC +2)

Where: Kanium TS ( teamspeak3.i3d.net:10077 )

World Clock: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Ad-Hoc+Gaming+session&iso=20170614T19&p1=69&ah=2

We will meet in Kanium TS at the designated time and take it from there

Setup guide for Kanium TS:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16welDGmJbTUN8zMI7w1a2CJwFqmCMfF0dKDmVFS-ik4/edit

IP Adress for Network session is in Kanium TS, under Steel Beasts 

Due to popular demand, we will be starting to host Ad-hoc multiplayer games on wednesdays. Its NOT an attempt to compete with the excellent multiplayer games that the canadians and Gibson mounts, and which I and we will recommend for all to try. Or any of the other good games, which I and we fully support.

Its merely a question of timing: For those in the european timezones then its hard to get up at 2 o´clock in the morning. Also for those only doing the Kanium games on sundays, then wednesday seems to be a good day to do a multiplayer game in between.

Therefore this is an initial probe to find out how and when players want to play it.

We will have access to a dedicated server and can play any game in any way that the players want.

Mu suggestion is that those interested start by answering the following questions.

1) Are you interested, and if so what would you like to play?

2) Frequency: every week or every other week?

3) Time of day: 19:00 GMT +1 ?

4) any other preferences or good ideas ?

Games will be open to anyone regardless of nationality, affiliation and level of skill.

Only requirement is that you can speak and understand a comprehensible english, and can get along with others to the degree that you can interact with them.

Edited by Nike-Ajax

I am interested, not that I can attend every wednesday. It would be good if wednesday complemented sundays, so wednesdays are more for basic drills, so easier missions focusing more on tactics and drills for example? 

19.00 GMT is fine by me.

/KT

47 minutes ago, Kingtiger said:

I am interested, not that I can attend every wednesday. It would be good if wednesday complemented sundays, so wednesdays are more for basic drills, so easier missions focusing more on tactics and drills for example? 

19.00 GMT is fine by me.

/KT

Sounds good for me and nothing is required. We will let it roll and see how it goes.

For now I will just wait a few days and see what will be shaken loose and what input others come with.

I won't be able to attend, due to the time, but here are a few ideas, both for scenarios, and for general session advice. Take them or leave them, as necessary: B|

1. Decide what the focus of your sessions is. Obviously, this may change and evolve over time depending on your numbers, and what your player-base enjoys, but heading in with an idea is a good start. Do you want your sessions to be a casual game among a group of friends, training on the basics, complex multi-echelon operations, or something in between? 

2. Try to have a "theme" for each session to match your focus. For example, if you are training on the basics of being a Tank Commander, your "theme" for the evening might be on establishing sectors of fire. This will help the mission designer tailor the experience based on what YOU want. 

3. EXCALIBUR by @Eisenschwein (found with the base game under Scenarios/Contest/Contest 1) is quite a fun scenario, and can accommodate up to eight players if you are multi-crewing each tank. It is fairly forgiving, has a few "big fight" moments, and does a good job of exposing you to the various battlefield effects found in Steel Beasts. Honestly, if a potential Steel Beasts player wanted a demonstration of what Steel Beasts has to offer, I would have them watch me play this scenario. :D

4. Tanks! Again by @MDF is good if you have a lower turnout (2-4 players) and want to focus on the basics of commanding a single tank. This scenario is pretty unforgiving of mistakes, and really forces you to get better. Cover, concealment, rapid target acquisition and destruction, reload planning, and the "art of knowing when to turn off your engine" are all vital to survival. As an added bonus, you can add in a UAV and practice your skills at target-handover. 

5. If you are going for a more "casual session," check out @Apocalypse 31's Cordon and Raid. I don't want to spoil any surprises, but be prepared to find out just how dangerous dismounts can be. ;) 

6. @Zipuli's Tank Platoon in Attack is good for up to eight players if you are multi-crewing, and is also good for improving/refining your skills as a Platoon Leader. The enemy in these missions are very intelligently placed and scripted, so you will have to work hard for a victory.

7. For something more complex, try some of @Panzer_Leader's scenarios. I have personally played Company Team Flank Attack at Hamelin (and made a YouTube video of it :)) and M1A1 Platoon Attack on Reinforced Motorized Rifle Company, and both were outstanding. M1A1 is probably better for starting with, but be prepared for long-range direct fire engagements, and clearance of an Objective with Infantry. As with Ziupli's scenarios, you will need a very good plan to win here. 

8. Finally, have fun! If you aren't enjoying yourself while playing Steel Beasts (in a recreational setting, of course) then you are doing something horribly wrong! 

Edited by Mirzayev

Alrright ...

To sum up a little:

There is an interest in this. And this will roll concurrently with the other events.

It will be at 19:00 GMT+1, possibly 20:00 GMT+1 in the future - depending on what the participants think.

For now I think we will choose a scenrio on the day depending on the wishes. But in general we will aim at back to basics, small team scenarios and basic SOP´s. So smaller scenarios with the option to grow. And with people of all levels of competence. And aim for a good atmosphere and dialogue during, after and between games. 

I think we will start in the modern era, but with an option to do older scenarios.

I think we will meet briefly on the Kanium TS tomorrow, just to bounce off each other with ideas - maybe we will play if I get the Server up and running. Otherwise I will gather ideas for next wednesday.  

This will be exactly as large and good as the participants make it.

Thanks for the support and ideas so far - please keep it up.

And also a thanks to Mirzayev  - as usual good and usefull input !

Edited by Nike-Ajax

Iam all for it! :)

- Time seem´s fine, maybe a bit more towards 20:00GMT so you can have dinner before or after mission if that´s the case.

- It would be cool to alternate between weeks and focus on a particular subject once every other week to polish chops. (inf, recces etc.)

- Anything is fine with me, I just want to learn as much as I can.

I already have a mission to attend this wensday with another group (will ask them to move day to tuesday´s or thrusday´s) so I will see you all next week!

7 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

Iam all for it! :)

- Time seem´s fine, maybe a bit more towards 20:00GMT so you can have dinner before or after mission if that´s the case.

- It would be cool to alternate between weeks and focus on a particular subject once every other week to polish chops. (inf, recces etc.)

- Anything is fine with me, I just want to learn as much as I can.

I already have a mission to attend this wensday with another group (will ask them to move day to tuesday´s or thrusday´s) so I will see you all next week!

Bring ´em

Also what is a "polish chops"

Edited by Nike-Ajax

7 hours ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Bring ´em

I´ll talk to them tomorrow, there english is a bit on the poor side although two of them have played in MP here.  I could always be there CO if needed, will see...

Edited by Red2112

13 minutes ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Also what is a "polish chops"

"To polish" Make something shiny, to stand out, to be better at....xD

"Chops" Chop Suey, to chop a tree down, to show your stuff...:D

In plain English, to be more proficinet in different roles.

Edited by Red2112

33 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

"To polish" Make something shiny, to stand out, to be better at....xD

"Chops" Chop Suey, to chop a tree down, to show your stuff...:D

In plain English, to be more proficinet in different roles.

If you bring two, then we will make you the PL for a spanish speaking platoon. No pressure - we will take it nice and easy, its a learning session. Less goal oriented and more experience and dialogue oriented.

Edited by Nike-Ajax

52 minutes ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Kanium Wednesday Ad-Hoc Session

Wednesday 14th of June  "Ad-hoc mission" by ?

When: Sunday 11th of June 1800 UTC

Where: Kanium TS ( teamspeak3.i3d.net:10077 )

World Clock: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Ad-Hoc+Gaming+session&iso=20170614T19&p1=69&ah=2

We will meet in TS and take it from there

I think you got the time/day wrong Nike...When: Sunday 11th of June 1800 UTC.

I´ll speak with them tomorrow, but I think the timeline wont fit, one of them due to work hours.  We usualy meet/mission at 22:30hrs on wensdays.  Will see what they say.

PD.: Sorry I meant PL and not CO! But I doubt the timeline will fit them as stated above.

Oh, one other thing: make sure the host has successfully set up port forwarding. If you don't, clients will not be able to join the host's session.  You will also want to test this out prior to execution to make sure that everything is correct.

8 hours ago, Major duck said:

You can always bring them on a Sunday if that fits better 2-4 Spanish speaking guys that's a platoon or section

MD

Thank you Major Duck!

I tried that already and Iam afraid it dosent fit there life, work/family.  No worries, one try´s to think on other´s but sometimes it dosen´t work.  Thanks again MD!

I´ll be there tonight, it will be like "double on the cheese please" :D  A session at 19:00 and another at 22:30hrs.

See ya all tonight!

--

Edited by Red2112

Cool mission and learned some new stuff which is always good!   Overall we did well! :)

Enjoyed it and glad to have a Wensday night mission on a regular basis.  Hope that more players show up next Wensday and find that it´s a good alternative for those who can´t make it on Sunday´s.  Great initiative on behalf of Kanium VU.  Thank you Nike-Ajax and the rest of players!  Look forward for more!

Can´t think of what to suggest right now, all I can think of is...Where´s the target? :D

SS_19_59_02.jpg