Red2112

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Trackpin said:

Very enjoyable game, with a very different pace to SB. No option for any kind of MP play at the moment, but it would be interesting to split the various tasks eg: Nav/Helm, Command/Sonar, Weapons/Decoys. Something along the lines of driver, TC and gunner in SB. Some would be happy with head to head attack-sub duels too.

Take a look at Dangerous Waters when you are ready for a more advanced sub sim.  It has the features you desire;  MP, individual crew stations and a bunch of other things you didn't know that you wanted yet.  688i Hunter-Killer is worthy of a look too.  In my opinion, it's the superior sub vs sub MP platform.

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Original torpedos were, but it turned out that the repeated stress of kicking the hull up with the initial shockwave, then have it crash down, then to kick it up once more with the gas bubble, and finally have it crash down even deeper into the water cavity created by the gas bubble is so much more devastating than to simply blow a hole into the side, even if it is below the waterline. Compartmentalization make warships pretty resistant against such damages (see the recent collision results of US warships, also the USS Cole incident).

Cracking the entire ship in half, however, is a damage it can't survive. The longer and bigger ships are, the more vulnerable they are to these bending stress events, but a big ship must be long in order to be seaworthy and sumewhat fuel efficient. So, there's no easy design concept against this kind of attack. Of course, it's still best not to get hit in the first place.

hmmm interesting

8 hours ago, Grenny said:

+ the collapse of the cavity will create a water jet, that tries to go up with roughly the speed of sound....and the ship is in the way

ill have to look into this more,very interesting.i wonder if there is some way to replicate that effect above water.Say with a TOW,maybe a FAE?

20 minutes ago, mpow66m said:

ill have to look into this more,very interesting.i wonder if there is some way to replicate that effect above water.Say with a TOW,maybe a FAE?

I doubt it, since air is compressible, while water isn't.

You might get a rush of air but the effect would be a strong wind, rather than a water jet.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I doubt it, since air is compressible, while water isn't.

That's often said, and while it's true as a first order approximation in everyday problems, when it comes to explosives and shockwaves it turns out that you have to calculate with the compressibility of water to get accurate results. It still is "pretty stiff" for a fluid, but compressed it can be - if the forces are sufficiently large.

• 1 month later...