Gary Grigsby´s Games - are they worth it ... ?

Nike-Ajax

12 hours ago, Nike-Ajax said:

I played Steel panthers for years ... until they no longer could be mounted under my OS. But 40 dollas is just too much for a game that is more than 20 years old and shows it, for me at least.

IIRC, there are free versions of both WinSPMBT and WinSPWW2. They just won't have the full scenario collections and lack higher-res options.

15 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

IIRC, there are free versions of both WinSPMBT and WinSPWW2. They just won't have the full scenario collections and lack higher-res options.

Only hi-res are out, in terms of content they are the same and certainly above and beyond what they were originally. Pretty not bad for something that is free.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:06 AM, Nike-Ajax said:

Just bought it - had to be done

This is probably a bit premature of a question, but what are your initial impressions?

I might pick it up; the last time I took a chance during a sale was with Command Modern Air/Naval Operations, and I am glad that I did!

On ‎24‎-‎06‎-‎2017 at 7:33 PM, Mirzayev said:

This is probably a bit premature of a question, but what are your initial impressions?

I might pick it up; the last time I took a chance during a sale was with Command Modern Air/Naval Operations, and I am glad that I did!

Initial response:

buy it if you like supreme ruler ultimate, hearts of iron 3 with Black Ice mid. Or hex based strategic games.

And buy it now where it is reasonably priced.

It's complex ... And then some ...

graphics are simple but you don't need anything more in what is an ultimate electronic version if a hex game. So I would say that's its beautiful for what its for.

Did I memtion it's complex ... ? The basic manual is 330 pages...

I think the normal price is borderline ok. The present price to me is well worth it...

Just DO it...!

Edited by Nike-Ajax

Glad to see you back Nike, was worried there...

Although not War in the East (WitE), I wish I had bought the hardcopy with manual beacuse it look´s just great!

Basicaly all the Slitherine products on sale at Steam...

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Slitherine Ltd.

Let´s not forget that you can also play by e-mail "PBEM" (server based).

Cheers!

Edited by Red2112

So, I played my first scenario as the Soviets. I somehow managed to secure a Major Victory by the end of it. Here are a few things I learned:

1. As the Soviets, you can pretty much always count on your losses being exponentially higher than the Germans. 

2. Managing the Maximum TOE percentage can be a game changer. Set units that are in inactive areas to a low TOE, and set units that you want to use to make a breakthrough or assault with the maximum TOE possible. Your logistics will redistribute equipment and personnel appropriately.

3. Keep HQs in range of your combat units. Not only does this provide them with supply, but your HQ will allocate their support units to your combat units when they are attacking. It probably isn't going to make a huge difference, but it might make the difference between the enemy holding in place, or retreating. 

4. Create Corps of units to bolster their combat power, and to make them easier to manage. As an added bonus, Corps can have support units directly attached to them. With their higher HQ also pushing support units to them during combat, you can really make these units powerful.

5. It is very easy to get lost in the data or scale of this game. Focus on the big picture, and go from there. 

On 24/6/2017 at 7:33 PM, Mirzayev said:

Every time there has been a sale, I have been tempted to buy CMANO, although I have the Harpoon collection.  The main reason not to has always been beacuse the lack of a multiplayer option.  On this sale I decide to skip the MP option issue and went ahead with buying "Command: Nothren Inferno" which is dowloading now.  Also beacuse a recent nVidia update has knocked out my "Janes Fleet Command" game, it didnt start-up but fixed it by installing newest nGlide 1.5 exe. but now the sound is gone too, so, so much for me playing FC for a while...

For €10 I think Command NI is well worth the try.

I have War in the West which is a bit different (2 phases Air/land), so I can´t pitch in here...

--

Edited by Red2112

2 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Every time there has been a sale, I have been tempted to buy CMANO, although I have the Harpoon collection.  The main reason not to has always been beacuse the lack of a multiplayer option.  On this sale I decide to skip the MP option issue and went ahead with buying "Command: Nothren Inferno" which is dowloading now.  Also beacuse a recent nVidia update has knocked out my "Janes Fleet Command" game, it didnt start-up but fixed it by installing newest nGlide 1.5 exe. but now the sound is gone too, so, so much for me playing FC for a while...

For €10 I think Command NI is well worth the try.

I have War in the West which is a bit different (2 phases Air/land), so I can´t pitch in here...

--

There is actually an unofficial PBEM mod for CMANO. I think it is made by Baloogen. Check it out; you have an overall OOB, and you select specific units to deploy to battles. I'm not sure of the full specifics, but you can play PBEM for sure.

Edit: Here is the link. https://baloogancampaign.com/command-plugins/joint-command/

Edited by Mirzayev

39 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

There is actually an unofficial PBEM mod for CMANO. I think it is made by Baloogen. Check it out; you have an overall OOB, and you select specific units to deploy to battles. I'm not sure of the full specifics, but you can play PBEM for sure.

Edit: Here is the link. https://baloogancampaign.com/command-plugins/joint-command/

Thanks Mirzayev!

Yes, I did read about last year.  In some way I have always been following CMANO, but just today decided to go for it on this sale.  Added the link to my fav just in case.  

Again thanks Mirzayev, hope to do some playing tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

I bought it (War in the West) on Xmas-sale last year but have had very little time to get into it. Still, I know I will some day (when kids grow little older and I can play normal hours, lol).

I'll try to get hold of that nice looking game manual, would be a nice to read when summer days gets shorter now.

A nice feature of CMANO is how you can spread out the game over a tripple monitor setup. Missions and reports on the left monitor, unit database on the right and deployment/action map in the center. Not sure how GGWitW can use tripple monitors the best way, anybody have any tips/experience?

So I tried my hand at playing another scenario as the Soviets: Demyansk Pocket 42. The scenario scale is still fairly small, so this is a good beginner scenario to focus on for post-1941 fighting. Also, you get to appreciate the growth of your Combat Units, and see a bit of an ad-hoc in-game storyline play out. For example, after shattering a Waffen-SS Unit, two of my infantry regiments earned a Guards designation, with their Higher HQ being designated as a Shock Army. My forces up north, near lake Ilmen, also fought courageously, resulting in their HQ being designated as a Guards Army. 

Besides the general fluff, these designations improve the morale of your units, due to their new-found pride in their regiment. 

By the end, I managed to earn a Major Victory as the Soviets. This is definitely worth playing after the tutorial scenario.

Also, I watched this video prior to playing the scenario. While not directly applicable, it does a pretty good job of explaining the basic concepts. 

Now, I need to figure out how to use the Soviet Airforce, and how to properly employ partisans...