Why does the M1A2 SEP TC demand Sabot against ASLAVs? [RESOLVED]

cobrabase

This is a really weird protocol.  I've had a TC "fight" me for ammunition selection when ASLAVs were being targeted.  I saw them on the other side of a valley and had sabot loaded.  I switched to the TC position and selected MPAT (which is a round I REALLY dislike but it was the only HEAT I had at the time).  I heard the loader unload sabot and load MPAT.  I switched back to gunner and index MPAT only to realize Sabot had been RELOADED by the replacement AI TC. 

I really don't think protocol should be sabot for an ASLAV.  That's really weird. 

• Members

I agree.

Although, at really long ranges it may still be the right decision. But our vehicle commanders do not take the engagement range into consideration when making the decision about which ammo to fire, as far as I seem to remember.

1 hour ago, cobrabase said:

I really don't think protocol should be sabot for an ASLAV.  That's really weird. 

You may want to check how the sim regards an ASLAV.

Some time ago I did a spreadsheet listing which vehicles fell into which class for the AI (so when the logic says "more than 1 tank" - what does SB regard as a "tank") and it had some interesting outcomes.

There is a chance that an ASLAV is catergorised as a "tank" and therefore APFSDS is selected.

Here is the file but a warning it was built in 2.654 and things may have been re-caterorised since then:

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

Gibson, you may want to check that logic again, I just made a test SCE and the NEW ASLAV-25 is NOT considered as a tank (nor is the ASLAV-PC). Its actually considered as a PC. Perhaps you are thinking of the old ASLAV-25 which could have been broken?

Just FYI to all: the consideration of whether a vehicle is a "tank" or "PC" actually has nothing to do with troops, its a very basic flag assigned to the vehicle, either its given the tank, PC or truck flag. This determines logic for conditions/events/scoring, and determines what the AI commander calls the vehicle when it calls it out to the user. Obviously, this needs to be improved, as it has been this limited since 1999.

[See attached scenario if anyone wants to test the ASLAV-25's classification. You can use that for any vehicle if you want to know.]

Cobrabase,

As for the AI commander on the M1A2 insisting on using KE for the "ASLAV" (assuming we are referring to the ASLAV-25), maybe you can provide us a little more information? What was the range to the target? The thing is, these rounds have a maximum range that the AI strictly adheres to. I ran a quick test with ASLAV-25s at about 2000m and the AI commander certainly called for MPAT to be used, not KE.

My guess is that the target is ~3000m, and the AI commander will call for KE because M830A1 has a max range just shorter than this, but still further than M830, in which case the AI is not wrong for doing that, given the extreme range and flatter trajectory for KE.

So as far as I can tell, there are no issues here other than our known need to expand vehicle classifications further from just tank, PC, truck and "chopper".

ASLAV-25 classification test SCE.zip

That's it.  The range.   Was 2980 meters.    

God I HATE MPAT but I use it when I have to do so.  

I have CV90s causing the "must choose sabot" protocol as well but at much closer ranges. 

Edited by cobrabase

7 hours ago, Volcano said:

Gibson, you may want to check that logic again, I just made a test SCE and the NEW ASLAV-25 is NOT considered as a tank (nor is the ASLAV-PC). Its actually considered as a PC. Perhaps you are thinking of the old ASLAV-25 which could have been broken?

The logic is fine. I merely suggested that might be the cause because I couldn't access the spreadsheet.

However I now can and it indicates:

ASLAV.png

Note:

1. This spreadsheet was built in 2012 for version 2.654

2. No idea if it still applies to the "new" ASLAV.

Edited by Gibsonm

Is there any quick way to override the commander as gunner to choose the ammunition type being loaded? I usually just hop into the TC seat right after a round is fired, command the ammunition type to be loaded while the loader is loading, then hop back into the gunners seat.

11 minutes ago, Nate Lawrence said:

Is there any quick way to override the commander as gunner to choose the ammunition type being loaded? I usually just hop into the TC seat right after a round is fired, command the ammunition type to be loaded while the loader is loading, then hop back into the gunners seat.

Nope. You will have to make the change as the TC. You can double tap the ammo selection key to order your loader to unload the current round and put in the selected type. 

Yeah, also in RL theTC can select the ammo index from his ICDU Tactical Screen. In SB I like that the AI gunner will automatically index the correct index when the round is loaded making it easier to fight. When you multi-crewing, the TC has to watch the index symbol on his CITV Screen to be sure.

Edited by Assassin 7