What does " 'lase' to mark position" actually do?

Nercon

Silly me with a topic that is pretty much self-explanatory.

This command shows up when playing as TC in and holding down shift, however it doesn't do anything when I press lase(either ctrl or m2). I even tried the combination of hold down shift, then hold down lase and release shift first, in this case the text changes to mark position, but nothing really happens neither.

I would really appreciate for an answer or a clarification of what it suppose to do, from what I understand it helps creating an reference point on map for quicker artillery calls and other uses, but apparently it's not.

If the realism setting in SB is turned down to medium or low it'll allow you to place a red mark on the map at the point you're looking at. Lasing with the LRF will do the same. Also, on any realism setting it will "officially" spot a target (although it can be a bit finicky sometimes) even if your vehicle is set to blind, placing it on map if map updates are on.

• Members

...which in turn can be useful if you create reconnaissance missions that rely on the user "spotting" a certain unit in a certain region. How do you know that the user actually "saw" the target and it wasn't just accidentally rendered on the screen when he wasn't paying attention? Shift+Lase is the answer in that case.

6 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

If the realism setting in SB is turned down to medium or low it'll allow you to place a red mark on the map at the point you're looking at. Lasing with the LRF will do the same. Also, on any realism setting it will "officially" spot a target (although it can be a bit finicky sometimes) even if your vehicle is set to blind, placing it on map if map updates are on.

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

...which in turn can be useful if you create reconnaissance missions that rely on the user "spotting" a certain unit in a certain region. How do you know that the user actually "saw" the target and it wasn't just accidentally rendered on the screen when he wasn't paying attention? Shift+Lase is the answer in that case.

Thank you guys for clarifying this to me, I originally thought it is something integrated with the vehicle's C3 system, since I only play under High realism, better not let this spoil anything.:D

26 minutes ago, Nercon said:

Thank you guys for clarifying this to me, I originally thought it is something integrated with the vehicle's C3 system, since I only play under High realism, better not let this spoil anything.:D

I had the same doubt not to long ago and saw the video below (from mark 6:00min. - 8:00min.), you can see how it´s done and put in use...

Edited by Red2112