Longest effective range to eliminate your target

Nike-Ajax

I wonder what the max effective range is for rifle and tanks to achieve kills. The short version would be 3,5 km for canadian snipers and 5,6 km for british challenger 2

But a little more info and context and discussion ?

Edited by Nike-Ajax

1 hour ago, Thonar said:

Is it now about "effective range" or about "longest possible range"?

Well there's a rabbit hole.  Let's see...M829@40 degrees super-elevation equals...126km...not that the round would actually get there, or hit anything mind you, but, yeah.

1 hour ago, MAJ_Fubar said:

Well there's a rabbit hole.  Let's see...M829@40 degrees super-elevation equals...126km...not that the round would actually get there, or hit anything mind you, but, yeah.

It would certainly hit something, especially if you are aiming at a zip code or larger. :P

Edited by TankHunter

The typical max effective range for weapon systems should be fairly easy to find online. For most western MBTs, like the M1A2, the Leopard 2A6, and the Challenger 2, the max effective range is 4000 meters according to the Worldwide Equipment Guide.

That being said, in a Steel Beasts context, ammunition type used can and will make a big difference. A T-72M using crappy ammo (ie the 3BM-9) is going to have a much shorter range and penetration, versus using more modern ammo, like the BM-59. 

Of course, you still have to factor in the optics of the tank itself, and the effective range of the LRF. While the BM-59 may be capable of being fired up to 4000 meters accurately, is the tank itself capable of the same feat?

12 hours ago, Thonar said:

Is it now about "effective range" or about "longest possible range"?

"Longest effective range to eliminate your target"

I thought that in no way, shape or form could that be misunderstood? I was wrong, post edited. 

With all due respect:
Who cares about the longest  possible range, thats totally irrelevant unless you are a range safety officer - its at what range you can bring down your foe with any degree of certainty that is interesting.

AS I wrote on the first post, then the longest confirmed effective hits I have heard of is 3,5 km with a rifle and 5,6 Km with a tank.

Wanted to know if anybody else had any experience of actual long range accuracy with different army systems ? Its not just the weapon types that factor into this, but also ammunition types, as HEAT for instance does not need to strike particularly hard to have an effect. As opposed to APFSDS.
Edited by Nike-Ajax

1 hour ago, Nike-Ajax said:

"Longest effective range to eliminate your target"

I thought that in no way, shape or form could that be misunderstood? I was wrong, post edited. 

With all due respect:
Who cares about the longest  possible range, thats totally irrelevant unless you are a range safety officer - its at what range you can bring down your foe with any degree of certainty that is interesting.

AS I wrote on the first post, then the longest confirmed effective hits I have heard of is 3,5 km with a rifle and 5,6 Km with a tank.

Wanted to know if anybody else had any experience of actual long range accuracy with different army systems ? Its not just the weapon types that factor into this, but also ammunition types, as HEAT for instance does not need to strike particularly hard to have an effect. As opposed to APFSDS.

I asked since you spoke of two fundamentally different things before your edit ("longest" and "longest effective").

Also you are missing here in terms of "effective". Only because a sniper killed an ISIS guy above 4km and a Challenger 2 killed another tank above 5km doesn't make it effective ranges.

These are "just" the longest achieved kills.

The theoretical maximum long-range kill possible is the theoretical longest range possible for a given system... you just need unlimited time, the right circumstances and some moron who actually tries it.

Now the longest effective range of a given weapon system is... usually stated within army regulations and far below the actual kill ranges.

See it like this: Take your average joe, give him a rifle, train him a bit, set him under combat stress... how high are his chances to hit something at certain ranges?

Depending on what you want to achieve at the enemy, let's say a hit probability of 50% is enough for you, than the range average joe is hitting every 2nd shot is the effective range of the rifle you've given to him.

Challenger 2s effective range isn't above 5km and neither are snipers shooting at targets above 4km effectively.

Only because it was done, doesn't mean it's somehow effective.

Thus your question sounds more like: Which weapon system of a certain category of which army has the longest effective range?

And I can't answer you that question since I don't have access to all armies regulations.^^

Edited by Thonar