Best music for PRE-combat ?

Nike-Ajax

Music have always followed soldiers on the battlefield. In the older days for signals and orders. Concurrently with that to boost own troops morale, or lower the enemies.

Aside from a more curious use of them, like when the US tried to annoy Manuel Noriega to leave the Vaticans embassy in Panama by way of Rock music, then I havent heard any official use of it in recent history.

So...

2 questions:

1) Have anyone heard of use of music in a modern (Post WW2) war or combat situation, official or unofficial ?

2) What would be the tune to play before going into combat ?

As an example, then I knew someone who used to play this before going on patrol:

But what tune could motivate or focus the troops?

(The fictional attack from Apocalypse now with Wagners ride of the Valkyries excluded)

Edited by Nike-Ajax

While not really "music," check out Operation Wandering Soul from the Vietnam War. The idea was to use creepy noises, music, and tie it all to a Vietnamese tradition to demoralize the NVA and the VC. It's effects were limited, with any helicopters playing the four minute track drawing fire from the enemy. 

My old Squadron Commander mentioned that during the First Battle of Fallujah some of the younger Soldiers would get spooked at night by the taunts from the insurgents. To counter this, the unit brought in loudspeakers and played the theme song to "Team America" on repeat. I don't know what the effect was on the enemy, but it did boost US morale a bit.

Those are two that I know of that were officially used. Unofficially, there has been plenty an AFV Crewman who has spliced his iPod into the vehicle's comm system.

14 minutes ago, Zaphod said:

Music like that Nikie , you are bound to get friendly fire if there is no enemy around :D

Yeah ... makes the blood roll allright, combine that with a few Red Bulls and plenty of adrenaline .... the finger is at half-pull on the trigger ....

The CRAZY thing is that they actually used a scottish bagpiper during WW2. Both in the battle of Monte Cassino and on the D-day.

When I did full-contact viking fight, then we sometimes put this on for training:

We stopped doing that because we got too many injuries .... music CAN put you in a fighting mood...

Edited by Nike-Ajax

20 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

Oh, you hit my weak spot Nike :D

I love the way these kids did the cover...

That is pretty impressive.

Its funny - it seems fighting music change a lot. And yet some songs still can get you in a fighting spirit regardless of age

Of course:

Half of Iron Maidens songs is about soldiers... I wonder if its a cultural thing.

Would this make russians ready to fight:

It makes me want to mount a Russian lady ... eh I mean Tank ... and fire the cannon and plow through all resistance

Edited by Nike-Ajax

13 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

My old Squadron Commander mentioned that during the First Battle of Fallujah some of the younger Soldiers would get spooked at night by the taunts from the insurgents. To counter this, the unit brought in loudspeakers and played the theme song to "Team America" on repeat. I don't know what the effect was on the enemy, but it did boost US morale a bit.

There's more than one way to counter that...

Just gonna leave a warning here, that this video contains some foul language and other insensitive comments.  It's war.

If you're bothered by hearing the "F" word a couple times and some references to people's mothers and stuff, maybe a tank simulator which is fundamentally about employing a weapons system in the manner most efficient to kill people isn't the place for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xL86JlioLA

14 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

While not really "music," check out Operation Wandering Soul from the Vietnam War. The idea was to use creepy noises, music, and tie it all to a Vietnamese tradition to demoralize the NVA and the VC. It's effects were limited, with any helicopters playing the four minute track drawing fire from the enemy. 

Those are two that I know of that were officially used. Unofficially, there has been plenty an AFV Crewman who has spliced his iPod into the vehicle's comm system.

Just did ... DAYUM ... scary stuff if you are in the middle of a jungle and locked in deadly battle ... any forest at night will mess with your senses and imagination.

But as an former LRRP and Light Infantry, then what really got the adrenaline rolling and set the little hairs standing up, wasnt so much noise but the ABSENCE of it. If the animals shut up then something is always wrong...

Edited by Nike-Ajax

1 hour ago, Maj.Hans said:

There's more than one way to counter that...

Just gonna leave a warning here, that this video contains some foul language and other insensitive comments.  It's war.

If you're bothered by hearing the "F" word a couple times and some references to people's mothers and stuff, maybe a tank simulator which is fundamentally about employing a weapons system in the manner most efficient to kill people isn't the place for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xL86JlioLA

Pretty Funny that. I couldnt understand half of what he said, but I got the idea.

Reminds of an exercise we did years ago with some unit from one of the Baltic states. We were assualting them, and as most Balts can speak russian, I decided to spice things up a little by yelling a few pleasant niceties at them (it was dusk so they couldnt really see us).

Including "Jobtwojemadj Nekulturniy Pederasti Zabackas..."

Apparently the trainers had to restrain them, as they were ready to jump us physically... And all the trainers tried to find out who had yelled at out Foreign Guests  - which No one knew of course. My platoon leader was beyond angry, but couldnt figure out who could speak russian. I helpfully submitted that it might be one of the guests that yelled it at us, which our PLT CO wasnt impressed by.

That was pretty funny. Afterwards. :D  

Childish but very funny ... 

Edited by Nike-Ajax

Arrrrrrrtgggggghhhhh. ......

my ears Are bleeding.... Curses to the @Zaphod....

but it works - I'm ready to turn anyone inside out now....

I guess that's one way to do it: Bug the crap out of your troops until they are ready to rip the enemy to shreds...

#hashtag 2 nukes for Japan and none for these girls - why oh why ??

Edited by Nike-Ajax

Just now, Nike-Ajax said:

Arrrrrrrtgggggghhhhh. ......

my ears Are bleeding.... Curses to the Zaphod....

but it works - I'm ready to turn anyone inside out now....

I guess that's one way to do it: Bug the crap out of your troops until they are ready to rip the enemy to shreds...

I have nothing to do with this... This is Apoc's fake news 

Just now, Nike-Ajax said:

Says the president of the Canadian Powerpuff Girls and manga Fan club ...?

Clear whatever is left of your reputation by submitting a kick ass tune now !

hahahaha you puppet master!