Best music for PRE-combat ?

Nike-Ajax

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah I know what you mean when one of your fav bands screw it up live. It happend to me with UFO, singer was drunk as hell.  Anyhow, as long as there records are still good. Any one can screw it up once in awhile, but with live shows your kind of hyped to go see them, aside from the money you lose.  So yeah a bummer overall.

Edited by Red2112

If it's any consolation, I bet the musicians were embarrassed and sorry for their failure. I was in a rock band for well over a decade. One night our bass player had a few too many drinks before the show. When we got on stage he had totally forgotten how to play his instrument. We might as well have picked some random dude out of the audience with no musical talent whatsoever to play with us. (And our bass player was, BY FAR, the most talented musician in the band.) It was really bad. At first I thought he was playing a different song than the rest of us ... then I realized he wasn't playing anything even close to a song. He walked over to me (rhythm/ sometimes lead guitar player) in the middle of a song and apologized for screwing the show up. But there was nothing that could be done at that point. We just had to soldier on. We knew it was disappointing to the fans. Hell, it was disappointing to US!

If you think it's bad watching a band screw up at a live show ... just imagine how you'd feel being in a band - having hundreds if not thousands of people watching you FAIL. It's like a nightmare where you show up at work naked. Everyone is looking at you wondering why you're such an idiot. Except you don't wake up and realize it never happened. You actually did ruin a lot of people's night out. And there's nowhere to run and hide. On the contrary - there's a spotlight on you.

Being in a band often seems like an easy way to become rich without doing any "real" work. But I'm here to tell you that all those bands that have produced the soundtrack to your life have sacrificed a lot and put in countless hours of their time to deliver a product which may or may not even put food on their table. It may be popular today and forgotten tomorrow. And there's really no "magic formula" which tells you the difference. I've seen dozens of bands with amazing talent go unrecognized because there are simply too many other bands to compete with. Getting recognized, signed to a major label and becoming successful is, for the most part, a crap shoot. And even IF you hit the "big time", one little slip up can take you down in the blink of an eye. Add to that the fact that you have to perfectly reproduce your work each and every time you step on stage and you may begin to see how nerve-racking it can be.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that musicians are any kind of heroes. We are little more than clowns - here to amuse you. I understand that. But we're also human ... and sometimes we don't deliver. But that's the nature of the business. And we know what we signed up for.

Cheers!

Thanks @Lt DeFault for your insight.

No it´s not easy, but to some it´s not even worth it. As a teen I wanted to be a rock star, well like alot of teens!  So yeah, I played my a** off to be good, hours and hours a day for quite some years, invested a bunch of money on gear, dropped alot of girlfriends etc. you name it!  Went through some bands and had a on and off dedication through out the years.  I then got into the buisness and had a look from the other side (stage manager/promotor, among other duties). To make a long story short, being on the other end made me drop music and all my dreams with it!  The buisness dosent care about you, your just a money machine as much, they will even bleach money with your band telling your gonna make it, and burn your band name with it.  Sad story really, because it´s a form of art but that´s how sad it is in a nutshell.  I don´t work for the industry any  more by the way, but I still play once in awhile.  Do love to listen to alot of music, that part will remain with me for sure!

While Iam not to up-to date, with the actual buisness now days, I do know that it´s alot easier to have control of your own product, compared to when I was into this.  There´s alot more freedom in this aspect, but the sharks are still out there and always will be.  There the ones who make the money, not the band, at least in it´s inital stages.  That wont change, and yeah you need luck!  In other words, be at the right place, at the right time and with the right people.

Anyway, rock on... \m/

Red

jaja yes ! U have to take care with Halford he likes to kick phones from people 😱 😁

https://youtu.be/6FqNGg9g2AU

Saludos desde Argentina y brindo con una cerveza por España 🍻 Viví allí algún tiempo, buenos recuerdos! ☀️

(greetings from Argentina and toast with a cold beer for Spain. Lived there for some time, good memories) 

@Red2112 Nice ones buddy !

Tyr woke me up and Alterbridge kept me up!

Sometimes I think I was born a few centuries too late ...

And sometimes I think that its better that the good old days are indeed the old days ... 😁😉

Edited by Nike-Ajax