The Business of Shot Traps

lavictoireestlavie

Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning a "shot trap kill"  illustrated in the diagram. Description: The projectiles hit the left front hull plate of the IS-6 heavy tank in both cases and one-shotted the IS-6 tank each time from a distance of no more than 100 meters.

The projectiles were full-bore shells that detonated over the engine, somehow penetrating the turret ring and traversing the fighting compartment, as in the T29 case and inside the fighting compartment as in the case with the Tiger 1.  The T29E1 fired a 105 mm T13 APHE projectile, whereas the Tiger shot a 88 mm PzGr. 39 APHE shell.

Could this actually happen? For me both cases seem very unlikely to ever occur and seem to be a bug in WT. Interesting enough, practically everyone in the WT forum just told me that the IS-6 was just one-shotted via a shot trap and were surprised that i had "apparantly" not realized that. I was very suprised by their responses, which left me wondering if they even bothered looking at the diagram i had provided.

Either way, any feedback would be greatly appreciated concerning this shot trap issue.

IS6_armor_anomaly.jpg

1303133405_tank-obekt-253.jpg

1304587901_130809_is-6_3.jpg

Edited by lavictoireestlavie

• 2 weeks later...
On 14.7.2017 at 11:33 AM, Homer said:

Could the burst charge be detonating and the shrapnel penetrates turret ring?

1.jpg

IIRC , on the replay it looked like the entire shell was intact bwfore detonating inside the fighting compartment. The hull roof under neaththe turret face is 20 mm thick so maybe shrapnel could have gotten in there somehow.