CCTT training

jazjar

2 hours ago, jazjar said:

As a part of USMA Cadet Field Training, I conducted a exercise in an M1A1 SA mock-up trainer, serving as the TC.  Pretty good time!

Ah, CFT. That brings back memories of room clearing, delicious milkshakes, and establishing a patrol base in a field of poison ivy. 

7 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

Ah, CFT. That brings back memories of room clearing, delicious milkshakes, and establishing a patrol base in a field of poison ivy. 

Just wait until you are a Company commander and experience the Cadet Summer Training Program.

Cadets are required to serve as actual Platoon Leaders now. It's a bit much, given the number of safety requirements and liabilities..not to mention micromanagement from the real PL and Company Commander (yes, your ass is still on the line for everything this frat boy cadet does...including having sex with....everything, getting a DUI or getting arrested in downtown El Paso)

Do I detect a hint of scar tissue, my dear @Apocalypse 31B|

I experienced CSTP up in Alaska as a Troop XO. Our requirements of the Cadets were greatly reduced compared to this year's program. We were essentially handed Cadets and told "show them your ways."

We ended up taking our Cadets on a camping trip into the Alaskan interior, followed by a trip to Denali Park. It was quite enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, Mirzayev said:

Do I detect a hint of scar tissue, my dear

Absolutely not. But everything I said DID happen during CST when I was a company commander (not in my company, obviously)

I let the cadets have chances to lead, but not going to let a cadet run a TOW live fire or maneuver a platoon when the actual Platoon Leader barely gets the opportunity to do so. 

1 hour ago, jazjar said:

Is that CTLT you are talking about?  I did hear a story about how some cow (junior) was an actual PL for three weeks because his host PL had to step out for some reason.

Not sure on the broad policy. My Division Commander had a policy letter than mandated that the cadets were required to serve as Platoon Leaders during their summer training.

57 minutes ago, jazjar said:

Well now that's definitely news to me.  Honestly, I'll probably end up doing something like ADA for my CTLT.

Again, not sure how other divisions do it, but the cadets we received were paired with their branch choices.

As a company commander, I received a spreadhseet months before their arrival that included personal contact information and branch choices.

The information that was listed as their branch choices wasn't always accurate, but that's a different story. On 2 occasions I received cadets that were not interested in branching combat arms.

Even if you go to an ADA unit, there are still opportunities to lead and leadership lessons to be learned. Besides, there's no better welcome to the Army than being given a curve ball at your first introduction.

8 minutes ago, Hedgehog said:

I'd give the cadet PLs the job of Plt Sgt. (with normal Sgt assiting)

Then they have appreciation of all the crap the Sgt has to deal with.

Just my thought.

Well I'm sure the 2 star Divisional commander will take it under advisement. :)

14 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Again, not sure how other divisions do it, but the cadets we received were paired with their branch choices.

As a company commander, I received a spreadhseet months before their arrival that included personal contact information and branch choices.

The information that was listed as their branch choices wasn't always accurate, but that's a different story. On 2 occasions I received cadets that were not interested in branching combat arms.

Even if you go to an ADA unit, there are still opportunities to lead and leadership lessons to be learned. Besides, there's no better welcome to the Army than being given a curve ball at your first introduction.

Thanks for the advice.  CTLT is probably the summer training that I'm looking forward to the most.  Besides that, I only have CLDT (14 days in the field) and my leadership detail to do.  Hopefully I can frontload all of that next summer and get the summer before my Firstie year to be all leave.