Wargames

Red2112

On 17/3/2018 at 2:38 AM, Bond_Villian said:

Yeah ill probably get myself a copy of the BAOR expansion, even if just for the scenarios & OOB (for SB). Ill see what the price is :)

Nice!

I have the Avalon Hill version so I guess not.  Might get the GMT Panzer someday, but those maps are hmmm...

I think you did a great job @dpabramsI might get the GMT version just because of the counters and expansions some time in the future. 

Another great series is the Tactical Combat Series (TCS) by "The Gamers" and published by Multi Man Publishing (MMP).  Yeah all you ASL players know what Iam talking about, but just in case for future newbies.  Lee Forester guides us through the 4th edition of the TCS rule set.  Unfortunately "Force Eagles War" (2nd module of the TCS series) can not benefit from the backwards compatible 4th edition rules due to the nature of the beast (specific modern era equipment).  At present TCS is at v4.1 rule set.

You can follow this series rules videos and other rule (GTS) set videos on Lee´s channel...

https://www.youtube.com/user/hpdforester/feed

Red

Seriously, I don´t have all that time, I don´t even know if I will buy the above Desert War. For a game without a campaign and made with Java, I find it a bit expensive.  But then it has a pretty good editor and its fully modable, so who knows, or I might just wait for it to be on sale.

Not all the games I post here I own and/or play.  It´s just a way to inform others of whats out there and what has just been put out, instructional means, or my take of what I like and play.  Like alot of other wargamers, I buy games for to someday play them, if I have time or for my retirement! :D

I see alot of other players "bat-caves" with walls full of games and there´s no way there ever going to have enough time to learn and play all of them.  Iam trying not to be like that because I don´t do this as a collection, I try to buy games that have "something" that interest me, be it it´s system and/or the era.  Basically I try to find games that are tactical and have a high degree of realisim for the most part.  Just learning the rules is very time consuming, so it´s a matter of picking the right games.  I do admit that I like ALL wargames, but you have to draw the line somewhere, because as stated " there´s just not enough time".

At present Iam trying to get into a traning sesion with the author (J.D. Webster) of Whistling Death form his Fighting Wings series, this via the Fighting Wings user group.  That will take me some time to learn and go through the rules set.  In between I will poke at Birds of Prey, and the Assault Series (GDW) with my friend Mr Abrams.  These three games alone are quite complex, so time and dedication are needed.  I tend to try to be at to many places at once, so with age I learned to narrow things down and get things done! At least I´ll try.  It´s a hobby that I enjoy and that captures my fasination, that about sums it up. :)

Red

Of all my wargames, the most accessible ones have always been titles by John Tiller. I recently purchased Budapest '45, Minsk '44, and Korsun '44 (shown below) from the Panzer Campaign Series. All Eastern Front titles from the series, with new team Wargame Design Studios, have now been updated to Gold versions (if you own versions from the previous publisher, HPS, you simply send pics to John Tiller Software of your CDs to receive the Gold download link and serial#). Refreshed from the ground up, with much improved graphics (the original personnel portraits were particularly awful) and many new scenarios (right, Volcano?). These are fast becoming my favorite wargames and I can't wait for the Gold versions to become available for other Panzer/Modern Campaigns Series titles.

KorsunGold3d.thumb.jpg.305342ebb7fa892017364df8127c076a.jpg

Yes JT´s games have always been a reference for most wargamers and designers. He has recently released Republican Bayonets on the Rhine...

Product page:

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/NapoleonicBattles/RepublicanBayonets.html

For anyone willing to try his games, he has great demos available:

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Demos.php

I highly recomend the "Panzer Battles" Demo, it´s updated to his recent format of the Panzer Battles series.  I have both the Normandy and Kursk Battles.  I also have the Campaign Series (East/West) Matrix Games version, and Campaign Series Middle East, also Matrix Games version.  I enjoy the Squad Battles and his Modern Air Power series too, but I think Volcano knows more about JTS then me for sure.

Red

19 hours ago, Red2112 said:

He has recently released Republican Bayonets on the Rhine...

I mainly focus on WW2 and Cold War era stuff, but during one of Matrix Games' irresistible holiday sales I picked up some Civil War and Napoleonic games by JT and AGEO(?). Speaking of which, I got lured by Matrix yet again just last December and picked up CMANO, Harpoon, Order of Battle (Pacific & Marines), and good 'ol JT Campaign Series. I also happened to find out about GoG.com and picked up some old DOS/Win95 era games and just like that my PC is loaded like its 1999!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...