Wargames

Red2112

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I'm sure it will since the island depicted here is on  the "wrong" side - at least for the vast majority of CV, CVN, LHDs, etc. who have it on the starboard side. 😄

The original Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is a futuristic game, so they followed the same path here. Same goes with Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, both are Sci-Fi set. I guess they could have modeled it to it´s real world counterpart but I also doubt that´s going to put off the Carrier Command fans in any way as this is Sci-Fi.

Will have to wait till Sea Power is released if we want a semi-realistic approch.

On 6/13/2021 at 2:28 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

This is my most anticipated game this year.

I really hope the AI isn't a disaster like Gaea Mission.

In regards to AI, as I see it...

There was more talent/passion in making games 20 years ago, with some exceptions of course.  Iam afraid I don´t keep my hopes high when it comes to AI now day´s, but we gotta keep the faith or we are doomed in the PC entertainment gener, which goes like wise with movies 😆

I see better AI in a single dev making a roguelike game then some triple A games TBH.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

Now you made me laugh!

I don´t know, you tell me...

1. Scaling

2. Unit Movement/Reaction

3. Logistics

1. I never understood the scaling in games like this. You obviously have an operational scale map with towns, cities, and countries. Then you have these units - realistically representing Divisions or Regiments. But then you also have weird specialty units like...a bazooka. What does that represent? A division of bazookas?

2. This sort of relates to #1 - but units move very oddly to represent Divisions or Regiments. They just bounce around and retreat at a moments notice. It just seems odd for the scale.

3. Panzer Corps nor Order of Battle, nor Hex of Steel seem to have a coherent logistics model. Every town is a depot - but thats not really how things work. Unity of Command has the best representation of logistics in any wargame that I've played. There are depots and lines, and they are susceptible. In game like Panzer Corps, Order of Battle, or Hex of Steel there is no way to influence logistics against your enemy. There are ways to cut off individual units, but you cannot truely effect the SYSTEM of logistics for the opposing force - thats how combat works in real life. You must protect lines of communication and supply. 

Unit of Command II is still my go-to wargame for any example of TERRAIN and LOGISTICS, and their influence on combat. I also really like how UoC II uses the 'attachment' system for units. Basically, there are only a few types of units game (tanks, infantry, cavalry) but you can attach enabler units like artillery, engineers, and even more specialty tanks to 'buff' a unit. 

@Apocalypse 31

Bare in mind that the game is WIP and he will be adding things as he goes along. For example, he plans to add ZOC but has not coded it yet to his liking.  I think I once mentioned here that wargames do abstract alot of the realism in there mechanics, as some sims do aswell.

1- No, it respresents that the unit has bazookas (firepower). That might be limited in ammo, or turns, but then could have added range and penetration (mech).  Again abstracted, and does not mean the whole division or regiment has bazooka firepower.

2- While I agree with you, I also understand that a realistic approach could be a burden for some players (delay in orders, movement etc.), me thinks on Flashpoint Campaigns.

3- I havent played the game yet, although I know how the supplies mechanics work. Here I would like to see something Innovative for a change.

Basically I like the rhythm of updates and dedication this dev shows, and the asthetics of the game.  I don´t know but I have a good feeling with this game, and he already has Steamworkshop ready which could only make the game grow. Iam thinking cold war units etc.  The game editor is also a great addition, and the fact that you can build a martime warfare scenario is very appealing for me.

I also agree with Ssnake, he has done a great job with the UI so far.

4 hours ago, Red2112 said:

While I agree with you, I also understand that a realistic approach could be a burden for some players (delay in orders, movement etc.), me thinks on Flashpoint Campaigns.

One of the worst, and most un-fun wargames I've ever played. I can't understand why the grognards praise this game so much...oh wait, most have never maneuvered units in real life. 

There aren't even command delays like that in real life. 

7 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

One of the worst, and most un-fun wargames I've ever played. I can't understand why the grognards praise this game so much...oh wait, most have never maneuvered units in real life. 

There aren't even command delays like that in real life. 

Well, there you have it, and the fact that one can´t satisfy everyone in gaming. Or should I say life in general LOL.

I still look forward on your thoughts later on as you play Apoc, but again remember it´s in WIP. Thanks for your Insight so far.

While not strictly wargames per say, here are a couple of games I picked up while the Steam summer sale that Iam having fun with...

Songs of Syx

I bought the GOG version (no DRM). 

It has a bit of Total War in it. Also in WIP one man team, but hard working...

Wizards and Warlords

Available on Steam.

Another cool game Iam enjoying...

Red

8 hours ago, Red2112 said:

I still look forward on your thoughts later on as you play Apoc, but again remember it´s in WIP. Thanks for your Insight so far.

I was referring to Flashpoint Campaigns in those last comments.

I'm trying to keep an open mind when it comes to hex of steel. It's still early. Hopefully It won't be one of those games that stays in early access for years to come

1 hour ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I was referring to Flashpoint Campaigns in those last comments.

I'm trying to keep an open mind when it comes to hex of steel. It's still early. Hopefully It won't be one of those games that stays in early access for years to come

Yes I know you were referring to FCRS.

I don´t mind the EA status as long as it goes forward, and dosen´t screw up something done before to bad.  If we think about it, it´s like game versions, we could say versions are like being in EA, or just "other" cycles till the game dies, or reaches it´s end term. 

Basic foundations are done and 70-80% of the intended content is coded yet not polished. Then we go through the public "testing" phase, but there´s always something to be fixed, polished or added. It´s basically the same process in todays games, EA is just a way to do the same but from a alpha stage, and provide early Income while the devs test the waters. As I see it...

Edited by Red2112