Wargames

Red2112

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Galileo said:

Regiment will be launch on August 16. I liked the demo, it change from the RTS use to play.

Another Cold War gone hot wargame (but NOT Wargame) about building magical decks of units, capturing random but yet symmetric areas on a map with no tactical value, against an enemy that applies zero tactics or decision making. 

Kidding Aside...

1. Microprose is not the same MP of the early 90s. They are literally signing anyone who can run a developer version of Virtual Basic. Their catalogue is rather uninspiring at this point and it keeps me rather skeptical of anything I see with their name attached to it. 

2. Are there any developers out there that are willing to do something DIFFERENT. How many Wargame clones do we need? The gaming industry has zero innovation these days. It's all so boring and predictable. 

• Moderators

Yes I think the main problem with these Wargame (and now Regiments?) type games is that everything is sped up waaaaay too fast, in regards to vehicle and infantry movements. You barely have time to think and process the tactical situation. I understand why they do this (for action!, and for the ADD), but at least it should have option to control tempo.  Sure Wargame can be fun (I have played more than my share of Red Dragon), but if it felt more like a tactical chess game and less like a frantic action FPS, then it would be much better experience - at least for many people.

I think Microprose should set itself apart and instead make a "more realistic Wargame clone", with more realistic ranges and op tempo, but that likely is not the case. Let's see!

22 hours ago, Volcano said:

Yes I think the main problem with these Wargame (and now Regiments?) type games is that everything is sped up waaaaay too fast, in regards to vehicle and infantry movements. You barely have time to think and process the tactical situation. I understand why they do this (for action!, and for the ADD), but at least it should have option to control tempo.  Sure Wargame can be fun (I have played more than my share of Red Dragon), but if it felt more like a tactical chess game and less like a frantic action FPS, then it would be much better experience - at least for many people.

I think Microprose should set itself apart and instead make a "more realistic Wargame clone", with more realistic ranges and op tempo, but that likely is not the case. Let's see!

Have you ever watched a 20 something play a competitive RTS-like game? These kids are insane; to them it's all already too slow.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, hope your all doing well...

From Sweden (Free League Publishing) comes a remake of GDWS Twilight 2000, some of you might remember this RPG/Wargame from back then In 1984, designed by our beloved Frank Chadwick who did the fabulous Assault Series among many other great titles of that era for GDWS.

Free League Home site:

https://freeleaguepublishing.com/en/games/twilight-2000/

They are also responsable for Alien and the upcoming Blade Runner RPG´s.

FYI game and shipping cost me 60€ shipped to Spain. 

It has two campaigns, Poland (from the original game), and Sweden. You can GM the game or play solo (solo rules Included). In the case below also co-op using the solo rules...

If you have some time, have a look. Cool video format...

Red

Edited by Red2112

Not exactly a tank or modern warfare wargame, but I recently picked this up on Steam and have been enjoying it so far. 

It's a war of the roses 2 player wargame. The PC AI can be customized supposedly, though I haven't dabbled into it. 

Blocks!: Richard III on Steam (steampowered.com)

RICHARD III | Blocks (blocks-games.com)

Edited by RooksAndKings