Reloading procedure

daskal

Would it be possible to disable the loader from auto-loading a round after firing the maingun and having it load only if instructed to? /question relates for the next update/

It's a slight change only but I think it would add a lot - I kinda always missed this in SB.

• Moderators

Why would you want the loader to load only when told to do so? The loader's primary job is to "keep feeding the breech" with maingun rounds. The first thing any half decent TC tells his loader is, "I should have to tell you to STOP loading, I should NEVER have to tell you to load a round".

We just do not need a brain dead loader that must be told what to do: it would be completely unrealistic. Essentially real life human loaders are programmed to keep loading the same round type until they are told to stop, they run out of that type of round, or they are told to load a new round type. A loader standing next to the breech with a deer-in-the-headlights look on his face wondering what to do next is a primary target for a boot missile, this coming from a year or so experience as an E1 loader, having held every position on the tank, and having received and administered plenty of boot missiles. ;)

On the other hand, it would be completely realistic to have a key that instructs the loader to STOP loading and essentially not load the next round until the TC presses an ammo select button.

• Moderators

Actually, that reminds me, what we do need is internal position 3D crew members which can be clicked on for a pop up rotary command menu a la that old game, B-17 Flying Fortress, where you can give commands to your crew members by selecting certain icons (tell the loader to man the LMG weapon which would then have him call out contacts that he sees). This would setup the next feature of the TC being able to click on a member of his crew and deliver a boot missile which momentary stuns the AI or human in that position. This would be accompanied by a THUD / SMACK sound effect. :)

• Moderators

Mainly for use against a human; knock him senseless for a second or so for doing something stupid. Obviously you would not want to do it in the middle of a battlesight engagement, and it really wouldn't do anything against the AI other than to satisfy you with the sound of punishment. Kick the same human a third time and he is banned from the vehicle, getting thrown to the observer view, or something like that. It would become especially useful if we ever had human loaders, since the odds are they will be doing everything but loading.

Edited by Volcano
typo and additional info

Actually, that reminds me, what we do need is internal position 3D crew members which can be clicked on for a pop up rotary command menu a la that old game, B-17 Flying Fortress, where you can give commands to your crew members by selecting certain icons (tell the loader to man the LMG weapon which would then have him call out contacts that he sees). This would setup the next feature of the TC being able to click on a member of his crew and deliver a boot missile which momentary stuns the AI or human in that position. This would be accompanied by a THUD / SMACK sound effect. :)

Hell yeah i second that, 3D crew members

• 3 weeks later...

(Keep in mind, I'm still banging away with SB classic for the time being...)

Only very rarely do I wish my loader would hold on a second. Thats really only when I'm engaging PC's with HEAT and would like to have a few seconds to see if that last round hit so I can go back to Sabot...

"Loader, wait a second!....TARGET! Load Sabot!"

As for the 3D crew members, I remember B-17 II and kinda like that idea... Perhaps some encouragement options to get the loader to load faster...

"Hurry up! Before he roasts us!"

Or for when your gunner is being a little...Less accurate than desired...

"UP! UP his nose, not across it!"

I can just see all kinds of phrases from our various favorite movies getting thrown into this.

"Come on freckles, better move it if you wanna live to 16!"

'Misfire!' "Uh, it's *clearly* the loader's responsibility to unload..."

'We're out of HEAT!' "ANYTHING!"

(Keep in mind, I'm still banging away with SB classic for the time being...)

Only very rarely do I wish my loader would hold on a second. Thats really only when I'm engaging PC's with HEAT and would like to have a few seconds to see if that last round hit so I can go back to Sabot...

"Loader, wait a second!....TARGET! Load Sabot!"

As for the 3D crew members, I remember B-17 II and kinda like that idea... Perhaps some encouragement options to get the loader to load faster...

"Hurry up! Before he roasts us!"

Or for when your gunner is being a little...Less accurate than desired...

"UP! UP his nose, not across it!"

I can just see all kinds of phrases from our various favorite movies getting thrown into this.

"Come on freckles, better move it if you wanna live to 16!"

'Misfire!' "Uh, it's *clearly* the loader's responsibility to unload..."

'We're out of HEAT!' "ANYTHING!"

he he he

Instead of:

"there he is"

how about:

"get that jammy fucker"

• Members

It's not going to happen. Not because of a sense of decency (do we have one?) but because expletives become repetitive very quickly unless there is a huge amount of variation. For each localization, each voice, and each action - that's unmanageable overkill.

• Members

It's the very same as with expletives. I tried to be deliberately calm and neutral simply because you'd need at least an "excited" and a calm version of the same command and eventual comments which essentially doubles the work and maintenance effort. Finally, we can't afford professional voice actors (heck, it's quite possible to hire the German voice of Bruce Willis, to name an example), so with the constraints in mind that are imposed on our work I think that all in all we do a decent job.

Noticeably better voices will require a disproportionate amount of extra costs and effort which we simply cannot afford, given team size and budget.

It's the very same as with expletives. I tried to be deliberately calm and neutral simply because you'd need at least an "excited" and a calm version of the same command and eventual comments which essentially doubles the work and maintenance effort. Finally, we can't afford professional voice actors (heck, it's quite possible to hire the German voice of Bruce Willis, to name an example), so with the constraints in mind that are imposed on our work I think that all in all we do a decent job.

Noticeably better voices will require a disproportionate amount of extra costs and effort which we simply cannot afford, given team size and budget.

So Voice mods then?