Getting vehicle to stop to let troops disembark when fired upon

ChrisWerb

Hi

I can get troops to disembark should their vehicle or unit come under fire by setting a condition in "dismount if". The problem I have is they won't do this if the vehicle is moving. "Well duh!" I hear you say. Well, I have seen videos of troops disembarking from moving BMPs - this probably wouldn't pass current UK Health & Safety legislation, but it happened. More to the point though, the only way I can get the vehicles to stop to let the troops disembark is to set a damage to engine condition that activates if the vehicle comes under fire. The vehicle/platoon of vehicles is immobile from that point on, but the troops still don't disembark, even if I set a delay in activation of over ten seconds. It would be good if, when the vehicle/platoon came under fire, it would stop, disembark troops and then resume its route. It would be even better if the infantry disembarked would then adopt tactics or routes of the designer's choice. I admit I'm a neophyte at best with scenario editor and would really appreciate any advice you can give.

Edited by ChrisWerb
Clarity.

Hi TankHunter

I played the test mission you sent and the BTRs stop, let the infantry disembark, then carry on, which is perfect. 

I then tried to see how this had been implemented by opening the scenario in Scenario editor. This gave me two problems:

1. Bizarrely the vehicles did not appear to have routes assigned - if so, how would they know to move?

2. The right click menu did not contain a "Troops" menu - the one that lets you set "dismount if" as I would have expected, so I couldn't see how disembarkation had been coded for.

I have no idea why either of the above would be the case, but I can provide screen captures to evidence it. Weird!

Edited by ChrisWerb

There is a route, I'd check your settings first.

Check in the map, in the overlays on the right hand side of the screen, do you have routes on or off? It sounds like you may have them off.

About the test mission itself, the dismount condition is on the route itself, the route is an assault route.

• Members

Note that if troops disembark on a route (due to disembarkation condition), they will remain in place. When dismounting on a waypoint, they may pick routes leading away from that waypoint (assuming that suitable embark conditions exist, be they explicit or implicit).

14 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Note that if troops disembark on a route (due to disembarkation condition), they will remain in place. When dismounting on a waypoint, they may pick routes leading away from that waypoint (assuming that suitable embark conditions exist, be they explicit or implicit).

Hoping that in the future, we can get some combined disembark/join in formation options.

I already know how to get the vehicles to arrive at a waypoint, drop their troops, defend the waypoint, and have the troops spread out and converge on an objective.  That's great.

What would be better still are the options to get infantry to dismount and then move together with the APCs as a cohesive unit...

For example...

"Dismount Defensive if..." - Used to allow APCs/IFVs to react to an attack while moving along a route.  Troops dismount, find cover within 100 meters of the vehicle they dismounted from, set up crew served, anti-tank, and mortar weapons, and get in the prone, and open fire.

Any mortar team that is part of this action will, autonomously, without human orders, fire it's mortar at targets that it has a direct line of sight to.

The vehicles will move no further than 200 meters away from their infantry squad.

When the condition (for example "Unit this is under direct fire") is no longer true, the infantry re mount and the vehicles continue on route.

"Dismount Scout" Route - Creates a "Scout" tactics route.  RIFLE teams dismount, and move to a position about 500 meters ahead of their vehicles.  All other infantry teams remain mounted.  If the retreat condition is met, the infantry pop smoke, run back to their PC, mount, and the unit retreats.

"Dismount Engage" Route - Creates an "Engage" tactics route.  Rifle and support teams (but not mortars) dismount, and move ahead of their PCs along the same route.  Support teams set up and engage when they ID a target.  Any mortar teams dismount, but stay at the way point where the route was created.  They fire, autonomously, without player orders, at targets identified by the members of their platoon only.

"Dismount Assault" Route - Creates an "Assault" tactics route.  As above, but only the rifle teams and LMG teams dismount.  Teams with weapons that need to be set up (HMG, AGL, ATGM, etc) remain on board their PC and only dismount when they locate a target to engage.

• 2 weeks later...