Any experts on the T34 (early models)?

hoggydog

Just a quick one for those who know their WWII vehicles, specifically the 76mm equipped early T34's

The Commander/Gunner had a rotatable periscope and a fixed telescopic sight attached to the gun barrel. Each one had basic range and lead markings (with an adjustable range line i believe).

My question is; which of these sighting systems did the commander/gunner use for engaging with the main gun and coax?

12 minutes ago, hoggydog said:

Just a quick one for those who know their WWII vehicles, specifically the 76mm equipped early T34's

The Commander/Gunner had a rotatable periscope and a fixed telescopic sight attached to the gun barrel. Each one had basic range and lead markings (with an adjustable range line i believe).

My question is; which of these sighting systems did the commander/gunner use for engaging with the main gun and coax?

Both,  but AFAIK periscopic sight provided less accurate lay on target because of backlashes in traversing head and it's gear

On 11/1/2017 at 4:45 AM, Homer said:

The L-11 armed units did not have a effective marked observation periscope. 

This depends from production batch. Some had observation periscope in the turret hatch cover, some had periscopic sight, some had both devices.

39 minutes ago, Homer said:

...and command tanks had an extra one on the right side.  Even within production batches there were differences because of shortages of the PT sights early on.  WW2 vehicles are very confusing.

Speaking of panoramic device at loader's station on command tanks, it is not reliable ID feature, since regular "line" tanks had dummy installed sometimes(in order to conceal command vehicles).