Rolling Chunder

hoggydog

I was wondering, as someone who can suffer from moderate motion sickness, how AFV crewmen or passengers deal with motion sickness.

Is it something that would prevent you serving in certain vehicles or can it be trained out of you or just controlled with meds?

Well given the ADF's no drug policy, I've never seen it medicated.

Crewman get used to it and usually any passengers (i.e. grunts) are asleep or stealing the crew's rations.

I've never suffered it, either when completely closed in (i.e. as a Loader or Gunner, or in a M577 / Type 2 ASLAV as a passenger) or being partially outside (i.e. as a crew commander).

I don't think I've seen anyone else suffer either, apart from immediately after CBRND drill but I think that's more to do with the time in the tent with the CS agent, than the moving. 

Edited by Gibsonm

18 minutes ago, Marko said:

I have read the BMP has a particularly uncomfortable ride for the dismounts.

Sure, but there is a difference between "uncomfortable" and "motion sickness" - I never said I wasn't bounced around on occaision. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

3 hours ago, hoggydog said:

I was wondering, as someone who can suffer from moderate motion sickness, how AFV crewmen or passengers deal with motion sickness.

In my experience, it's typically gunners that suffer the most as they are often looking in a different direction to the vehicle's direction of travel.  On the rare occasions when I'd get queasy in the gunner's hole, just pulling away from the sight and looking in the direction of travel (whether you could see anything or not) generally solved the issue.

Edited by MAJ_Fubar

• Members

...and then there's the rubber "over boots", or in ye olden days, empty 105 casings to contain ... the spillage.

We had some exchange officers in our class, one of them suffered really badly from it. Was apparently used to the commander's position where there's a lot of fresh air, a clean view (and, possibly, lots of metal flying at high velocity ... with the good comes some of the bad).

From what i can tell.

Comfort and room For Dismounts/crew plays a much bigger role in modern AFV designers considerations then in previous older designs

Even the russians seem to be making there designs far more dismount/crew friendly comfortable looking seats leg room air con.

The T14/15 seems to be on par with there western counterparts in this regard.

I can say with pure confidence that I got sick when I was not driving any car for an extended period of time on uneven surface. No I am not part of land forces or army, but just saying I cant stand the rolling motion. I imagine the sickness is compounded when you have to read a map or tiny letters inside a book page (for example enroute) as your vestibulo-cochlear system can not sync with your eye bouncing and vibrating inside their orbits (yes I am a doc, though). Like this one time when I was in studying the multiplication tables, in a passenger side, I couldnt resist. 

Surprisingly if the ey is trained on a far sighted object the effect seems less (unless you have inner ear problems which is another story.

Edited by wildbillkelsoe