M-48? Toy Conversion to Plastic Model

GT1070

Is this toy supposed to be an M-48 or M-60?

Santa allegedly has some nice modern armor 1/72 scale plastic models coming my way soon.  Well, I was cleaning up the other day and found this M-48 (or is it an M-60 with extra idler wheels?)  It was obviously given to my son about 20 years ago and he never touched it.  Just to warm up my mediocre armor weathering painting skills, I got a $6.00 Testors non-toxic acrylic "military" paint set and went to work on this toy.  BTW:  My son likes what I did to it.

Ha ha!!  The basic shape of the thing is somewhat detailed!  I wonder if some inventive person made molds of an assembled 1/35 scale model In order to mass produce this dollar store friction powered toy?  I decided to make up my own desert camo scheme.  This was just practice really...I am not really proud of the paint job.  

FWIW:  That non-toxic paint is really good stuff...I believe I may have about the same number of brain cells as when I started!

image.thumb.jpeg.3cc211ee29387856c3dd284d20743ff8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e39b0c3e3142cdc1e81cc3bc18d42e20.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by GT1070
Trying (and failing) to fix upside down photos

14 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well given that the model seems to have the drive sprocket at the front, instead of the back, I don't think you should expect too much.

Ha ha!  Yes, when I reassembled it, I had it "backwards" with the drive sprocket in the back and it didn't go together.

18 hours ago, TSe419E said:

M-48.  Too many return rollers, rounded nose, and wrong cupola for an M-60.  That and the muzzle brake.

Thanks for the info, TSe419E!

It's just a toy and the project was just practice.

I just found an unassembled T-62 kit in the attic.  I've got a lot of builds planned for 2018. (T-80, BMP-2, M-1A1, M-2 Bradley, etc.)  All 1/72 scale...stay tuned.