Ad-hoc/Impromptu SB sessions

Nike-Ajax

Hello all

A very good Christmas to you all, may the season bring you nothing but happiness and good experiences.

I  will be doing some ad-hoc COOP sessions over the holiday seasons. 

They are open for ANYONE who wants to have some SB fun. I am aiming for smaller games and in all likelihood will do these fairly spontaneous. 

SO ... for those who are not on our Discord but might want to have some fun with us, then post below and I will send you a PM if and when we mount a game.

There are NO obligations and its quite OK if you cant or have other obligations when its time.

But if you post below, then you will at least get the offer as soon as we know we will be playing.

Edited by Nike-Ajax

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm pretty sure you are one of the people who received the email.

Once I consolidate the few returns I have (most are only the scheduled Thursday events or very vague) I'll post them here.

I must admit to being frustrated with trying to do something, getting limited response and then the Kanium juggernaut offers the same thing.

Edited by Gibsonm
Typo

Hi Mark 

Well... 

I am in fact certain that I have not received anything from you, at all: and I just checked to be sure. If I had or if I knew, then I would have talked to you first. Havent I always treated you with respect?

Secondly we have played a few times, and I like playing with you, in fact I have zero problems with you: I am thus not your opponent, believe me you would know it if that was the case. I dont mince words. Ever.

Thirdly Chris, a few others and myself have begun these low-key, no obligation sessions a few weeks back, but just wanted to expand it a little if people wanted to have fun with us, and they werent on Discord, which is not an requirement.

Fourthly then I have done more formal Ad-Hoc games going back for months and posted on this website, so hardly something new ?

Finally ... Then I really, and respectfully, have to say - and I am NOT pointing any fingers at you now Mark, or anyone else for that matter - with the very limited civilian fanbase for Steel Beasts, then we should work on getting along. Or at least agree to disagree to the point where we can run the best Emulation of armored combat that exists on the market, together.

I dont claim to be better than anyone else, nor that I represent anything. And even if I did represent Kanium, then I would simply do it as a facilitator and not claim that we were anything special, and hardly a juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination.

I dont make money off this - I do this for FUN. And the conversation and camaraderie with interesting and enlightened people, who leave me with a bigger knowledge. And because there really isnt any other similar platforms to do it on. 

Now ...

In the spirit of the season, and with the aim of just having fun together:

If anyone wants to play on the spur of the moment, then feel free to post here, and make sure your settings is set up so you get a mail when somebody posts here.

I and Chrisreb will post here if we can scratch some people together, and I will go for Gibsons games if I have any opportunity or possibility.

Edited by Nike-Ajax

I will play either or both ad hoc sessions. Only factor is time and making sure it does not clash with things like family duties etc.  More people the better as very hard with 2 or 3 to exercise sufficient control over the units. I don't have the skills like Mark of producing those wonderful basic training missions that I played with ANZAC.  They are on my drive so can be pulled out if real newbies want to participate with any of us

7 hours ago, Nike-Ajax said:

I am in fact certain that I have not received anything from you, at all: and I just checked to be sure. If I had or if I knew, then I would have talked to you first. Havent I always treated you with respect?

Ah well I might be mistaken about yourself (its hard sometimes to sync emails with names and if that's the case I apologise), but Chris certainly did get the email since he replied.

Then I might not have understood it from Chris, in which case the fault is mine.

However, then it seems to me that we are working for the same goal, per my post above. So instead of allocating blame, then lets play some SB together.

I am up for whenever I have the chance and possibility, and I know that Chris feels the same. 

I dont care who is hosting or who is doing it - its all good for me. And the more people we can activate in one way or the other, then the better it is for everyone. 

Edited by Nike-Ajax

Hi Gibson 

Good question, I wish I knew honestly - as always you are welcome, but the nature of these adhoc games is that I have little if any warning to give sadly. For now the time is just what ended up working for everyone.

We had another great game yesterday: a double sitting with 8 players, lots of fun.

I will try to see if we can mount a game tonight again, and post something here as soon as I know something solid.

Yes well.... I can see your position and challenge.

Here is mine: 

If I promised you that we would be playing tonight at 2000 GMT, and you got up early to find that I could not live up to that, then my guess is that you would not be happy ?

I will do my best with posting a heads-up, as I wrote then it is my INTENT to have a game tonight at circa 2000 GMT, but it depends on everybodys plans and wishes. Best I can do sadly.

Actually initially it referred to both, but judging on the experiences of the last few nights, then it is my best estimate that it will start sometime after 2000 GMT

IF there is a game as I hope there is

At any rate it is what it is, incidently and in reply to your queries, then I still havent seen the times and dates where you wanted to host a game over the christmas season. These impromptu games does not in any way, stand in the way of you hosting with the people who have signed up, if that is better for you ? 

Edited by Nike-Ajax

Ok so I can't even plan on 2000 GMT (0700 here), since this seems to have started at 1800 GMT (its now 0620 or so and this started a hour ago) or so. :(

Sorry I can't stay up 24/7 in the hope that you happen to run one.

I'll assume its just for people "in the know".

Edited by Gibsonm

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Ok so I can't even plan on 2000 GMT (0700 here), since this seems to have started at 1800 GMT (its now 0620 or so and this started a hour ago) or so. :(

Sorry I can't stay up 24/7 in the hope that you happen to run one.

I'll assume its just for people "in the know".

Steel Beasts Unofficial Discord

https://discord.gg/swnBnk

Edit: let's all move into the information age so we can share information rapidly

Edit 2: If nobody joins this after 2 weeks then I will delete it. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

1 hour ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Edit: let's all move into the information age so we can share information rapidly

Thanks sort of exactly not the point.

Getting a message at 0200 here that a game will start in 30mins is pointless for me.

Getting a message 24hrs prior so I have a hope to plan my day is much better.

E.g. given the earlier comment that they'd be run at 2000 GMT lets me plan now to get up early tomorrow. At least then I can attend and if the decision is "No, it wont happen" that's fine.

BTW, see you tomorrow at 2000 GMT.

More broadly I think it will weaken the community to have numerous sources of information rather than one central point of truth, esp. if only the people in your hemisphere can effectively use your channel.

Certainly the BG ANZAC forum explicitly says:

"It should also be noted that the aim of the BG ANZAC web site/forum is to supplement (not replicate) the Steel Beasts site with a focus on BG ANZAC specific material. The Steel Beasts web site/forum remains the focus of general discussions and acts as the central reference."

In an attempt to mitigate just that risk.

We already have people coming to BG ANZAC sessions talking about things that have been discussed on say the Kanium server (not an attack on Kanium) that the rest of us have no idea about.

I also don't have time, or usually the required access, to monitor here, BG ANZAC, Kanium and now this Discord option.

Edited by Gibsonm