New system in mod folder?

Pandur

i just upgrade to v4 from an old version some days ago, by the way v4 is GREAT!!!

now, in the winter, autum, desert and woodland folders are very many folders now, it seems for different countrys? what is that all about and how do i work with that?

for example i would like 1 leo 2a4 skin to show up every time i play woodland(as example) scenario? do i need to copy the skin in each and every(!?) country folder?

i am properly puzzled with the new system, i try to read but i can not find a explanation how to work with the system and mod it so i get the results i expect.

is opfor the new "red" folder?

can you link me to something that explains it or explain to me please? thanks you!

The new system does provide you additional folders because you can now specify nationalities.

You can conceivbly have Finninsh and Canadian 2A4s working together, albeit on different sides, but both part of "Blue".

That way you could have say one skin for the Finns and a different looking skin for the Canadians.

The same applies to the dismounts.

So if you only ever want to use German Leo 2A4s, put the one skin in the DE folder and pick Germany as the country. If you don't know what theme a scenario uses (say Woodland or Autumn) then put the one skin in the DE folder within the respective Woodland and Autumn folders.

Does that clarify things?

BTW, pretty sure this is detailed on the ver 4 Release Notes. :)

about the release notes, i did read the 4.019 and 4.009 release notes as these where linked at the download page while i download the program ( http://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1390 ). however i could not find the 4.000 rel notes there so i gave up. now i google for the 4.000 release notes and ofcourse found them ( http://www.steelbeasts.com/updates/SBProPE_4-0_RN.pdf ). still i could see nothing in there about the new system in the mod folder using country folders. where in the 4.000 rel notes is this explained?

15 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

You can conceivbly have Finninsh and Canadian 2A4s working together, albeit on different sides, but both part of "Blue".

That way you could have say one skin for the Finns and a different looking skin for the Canadians.

this sounds good but how does that work/what will happen on old scenarios? like a large part of the scenarios in the download section are made before this feature was introduced. how do the old scenarios interact with this new feature?

what "folder" do old scenarios take the skins from?

15 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

So if you only ever want to use German Leo 2A4s, put the one skin in the DE folder and pick Germany as the country. If you don't know what theme a scenario uses (say Woodland or Autumn) then put the one skin in the DE folder within the respective Woodland and Autumn folders.

how to "pick germany"? where do i pick germany? is this in the start of the scenario? where is this option?

as concrete example i want the "austrian" Leo 2A4 skin(downloaded) to be showen every time i play a Leo 2A4 on the BLUE side, no matter if the scenario want me to be finns or canadian or whatever.

• Members

If you put a mod skin into the "woodland" folder, that tecture would ALWAYS be used UNLESS there's a competing mod skin in a nation-specific folder, in which case SB will use that IF that nation was chosen in the camouflage options. So, the search order is:

1. Mods, nation-specific
  2. Mods, theme-specific
  3. Default program files, nation-specific
  4. Default program files, theme-specific

So you don't have to create a gazillion duplicates.

14 hours ago, Ssnake said:

If you put a mod skin into the "woodland" folder, that tecture would ALWAYS be used UNLESS there's a competing mod skin in a nation-specific folder, in which case SB will use that IF that nation was chosen in the camouflage options. So, the search order is:

1. Mods, nation-specific
  2. Mods, theme-specific
  3. Default program files, nation-specific
  4. Default program files, theme-specific

So you don't have to create a gazillion duplicates.

It would be nice if things did work this way. It certainly is more intuitive. Unfortunately, they do not. Perhaps it is a bug, then.

In general, No. 2 is broken. 

i tried to install some skin mods yesterday with the guidelines Ssnake posted above. No2 seems to be broken indeed. i can get a 2a4 skin to work in country folders, but NOT in the theme folder.

so for example   "...mods/textures/woodland/leopard2a4.dds" does NOT work;

"...mods/textures/woodland/de/leopard2a4.dds" does work

i can not tell if something in the order is switched around, but its not working like described, i can say that for sure ;)

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Could it be that the order of #2 and #3 is reversed?

I think it's more a case of files in the mod/season folder (outside of the nation-specific folders) not being applied to models. There are exceptions ... but in general, if you don't place your vehicle skin mod in a nation-specific folder, you will instead see the default skin from the main folders. In other words, your #2 is not in the hierarchy.

There are a couple of ways to achieve what Pandur wants, but they involve skins in multiple folders. Unfortunately I don't have time for more detail this morning, and when I do, I'm sure my attention will be on Ssnake's other news today. :D

I think my last post about this is in the "How to Install Skins" sticky. There are others.