We love photos

Koen

• Members

And yet, as the best protected systems, they get routinely sent into urban areas. Whether or not we tankers like it, we have to prepare for this likelihood rather than dismissing it as "against doctrine".

(Not that I'm saying that you said this, but other tankers in other conversations did, with some routine.)

• Members

Depends on the surrounding air's metallicity. You want the best possible situational awareness, but you also want to stay alive. As a WW2 veteran once phrased it to me, "bullet to the head is an occupational hazard for tank commanders, deal with it".

Needless to say, if it's quiet for a while and everybody opens up, that's the opportunity for patient snipers. So it really depends on the enemy's MO, and that will change over time.

Buttoning up helps with the survivability of commanders, at the expense of a higher attrition rate for the tanks. Classic dilemma. At the end of the day it's a personal decision, and how courageous you are you will find out only after it has started to happen.

You give a defined situation , this helps to look at our (my) training. Generally, in this situation tanks are in support, thus in theory, you have additional SA from the grunts, more grunts, larger SA area.

Your there to place openings in "objects" , and remove "objects" for the grunts , from orders, rock drills, wargaming pre mission etc. There are SOP's written, and modified for such a defined situation. This was my training with combined arms.

I would be down in my optics, scanning my arcs, not looking (unprotected) outside. I had better optics inside, especially in low light. With the hatch configuration/design of the tanks we have now, the overhead improved protection no need I think for being totally buttoned down.

Never found my self in a mission as lead the movement into a urban environment. This may have changed from my time though.

In RL counter insurgency I had optics that allowed me to remain buttoned down when in any built up area, and the wind in my face in open desert. And I do miss this :)

It all depends on , as eloquently said, the air's metallicity.

Again its only my opinion,

But some type of custom design with APS.

And the ability to lay down intense suppressive fire 

Even better if the design was remotely controlled

May be a better alternative then sending tanks in to urban combat

main-qimg-90d09b5524310c5f934371a3dfd98528-pjlq.jpg

Iveco LMV - Рысь 4x4

The Russian LMV is named Rys' (Lince Lynx) by MVPS, an Iveco Russia and Oboronservis LLC joint venture company,[9] and launched complete knockdown assembly of Ryses[10] on the premises of the 127th Wheeled Vehicle Repair Plant in Voronezh, Rys' supply chain by different plants firms provided around Russia.

FOoQJUPXMAgA5WA.jpg

Iveco_LMV_Lynx_photo002.jpg

IVECO Рысь 2.jpg

photo_2022-03-24_15-51-01.jpg

photo_2022-03-24_15-51-02 (2).jpg

photo_2022-03-24_15-51-04 (2).jpg

Edited by Rad

The first volunteers of the Freedom of Russia Legion from among the former military personnel of the RF Armed Forces have already begun individual additional training. Under the guidance of instructors from the Armed Forces of Ukraine, they studied the NLAW SRAAW.
A common wish from all the volunteers to hold the first battle against the Kadyrovites.

FPCZn-n-XMAY-lw-E.jpg

FPB9v-Dn-WYAIh-RF.jpg

FO9-Nd-A-Xo-Ags-ENs.jpg

FPB7h-Q1-WUAgc835.jpg

FPB9uo-UXo-AEAg-Lw.jpg

Edited by Rad

16 minutes ago, Rad said:

..., they studied the NLAW ATGM.

For what its worth its not an ATGM, per se.

Apart from the first 2-3 seconds, its fire and forget from the operator's POV.

It does make small corrections autonomously but is not controlled by the operator, nor a beam rider, nor does it have any sort of doppler radar etc.

"Smart" SRAAW, yes.

ATGM, no.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Of course Ukrainian equipment gets destroyed and soldiers killed. But Ukraine has every interest to not provide intelligence to the Russians, and to dominate the information war. And they are doing so in a spectacular fashion.

That's not to say that what gets published, just because it's part of the propaganda effort, is untrue. It's, however, incomplete. But that shouldn't surprise anyone.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 9:48 PM, Rad said:

??

This might be news to you, but many of us are serving or formerly serving soldiers. We all at some point signed our name on a dotted line saying we would go and do what our country needed us to do without questions. So did the Russian soldiers and so did some of the Ukrainian, some seems to be conscripts that did not have a choice, the poor sods. For us this is not like a football game where you pick a team and root for one of them, and most definitely it is not an opportunity to wallow in pictures of the graves of people that were just like our self. some of us feel kind of sick about that type of behaviour. 

19 hours ago, Sgt_Anzac said:

... of people that were just like our self. ...

I strongly disagree with this point.

I read and understand enough russian to follow the russian news and their social media.

And, with many of them, their deed and the underlying mindset of the russian troops...I have NOTHING in common.

That would be like feeling something in common with the "Einsatzgruppen-Ost" in 1942...nihil