THE RETURN OF FIRST CLASH

12Alfa

Hey, so I'm new. I got a chance to play in TGIF last night and it was fun. Being on the west coast it's saying game starts at 8. Is there anything I need to know prior to game start? What tanks will be used so I can set some range time? Is this open to anyone?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look back a page or two you'll see that the Tanks are Leo AS1s (there are some skins posted to make them look Canadian).

Pretty sure its open to all, but again there is a manning chart posted previously so expect to be put in a currently vacant slot.

Edited by Gibsonm
Typo

3 minutes ago, Kazick said:

Hey, so I'm new. I got a chance to play in TGIF last night and it was fun. Being on the west coast it's saying game starts at 8. Is there anything I need to know prior to game start? What tanks will be used so I can set some range time? Is this open to anyone?

Hi ya! First Clash has the Leopard 1 as the main Tank of the 4CMBG, so some range practice with the leopard AS1 would be good.For most missions we have the M113 with Inf, so there's the infantry knowledge also. But there is very knowledgeable people in 1st Clash, you would not have any issues, we will help, and guid you for  a fun Sunday. Hope to see you there.  First Clash is open to all, 1CAD and Kanium promote this type of play.

16 minutes ago, Kazick said:

Being on the west coast it's saying game starts at 8.

Just be aware that the actual time will be (click on the link and look for a town/city near you):

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=1CAD%2FKANIUM+SUNDAY+25TH+OF+FEB+1900+UTC+"FIRST+CLASH%2C+%234"+BY+12ALFA&iso=20180225T19&p1=%3A&ah=3

E.g. The entry for Los Angeles is 1100 on Sunday.

For some reason the Calendar entry here is off by quite a few hours. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

1 minute ago, 12Alfa said:

we will help, and guide you for  a fun Sunday. Hope to see you there.  First Clash is open to all, 1CAD and Kanium promote this type of play.

That's odd, the calendar on this forum list's the game at 8pm TODAY, 2-22, so in 2 hours. But then again, I am on the west coast of the US, so time zones. Looking over at the events page on Kanium, I don't see anything listed for today.

Just now, Gibsonm said:

Just be aware that the actual time will be (click on the link and look for a town/city near you):

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=1CAD%2FKANIUM+SUNDAY+25TH+OF+FEB+1900+UTC+"FIRST+CLASH%2C+%234"+BY+12ALFA&iso=20180225T19&p1=%3A&ah=3

For some reason the Calendar entry here is off by quite a few hours. :)

Ah, I see that now. Thanks. I don't know if I'll be able to make it as I have other plans at that time. But we'll see.

8 hours ago, Kazick said:

That's odd, the calendar on this forum list's the game at 8pm TODAY, 2-22, so in 2 hours. But then again, I am on the west coast of the US, so time zones. Looking over at the events page on Kanium, I don't see anything listed for today.

Simply because i havent had time this week to put it up been to busy at work

Hey Click on the link and see the time and date in local time

On the TS setup if you have time come early and we will help you with the setup

Just put this "teamspeak3.i3d.net:10077" in the address field off a new bookmark on TS and you will join us we are there usually 1 hour before game start or join us on discord directly via the link below:

https://discordapp.com/invite/bHNEWk?utm_source=Discord Widget&utm_medium=Connect then you can almost always get 1 of us online

And remember you don't have to join us to be on our Discord or to play with us, we only wont to play with you when you feel like it and family is more important then SB 

MD

Reporting from the battle field.

A Sqn RCD suffered a devastating defeat east of Rasttat today. Although they inflected damage on a Soviet Advance Guard they failed to stop the Juggernaut from the 290 Guards. 4CMBG Command will need to plug the gap in his line if he has any hope to hold back the Red tide forcing their way into his AO.

Stay tuned for further developments from the area.

8 minutes ago, 12Alfa said:

A Sqn RCD suffered a devastating defeat east of Rasttat today.

That doesn't sound good. :(

Will check out the AAR when I get home but I suspect lots of attempted frontal shots and getting involved in gunnery duels instead of shoot and manouevre?

Edited by Gibsonm

Please post her your input from last mission.

3 good points,

3 points to improve,

and recommendations.

next mission is O COY Task Force  South of N COY's AO (North of Sandweir) fighting another MRR Advance into their AO.

Also. Do you prefer another tank vs tank mission, or are you good with the current format,

Mech VS MRR,

then Tank vs tank,

then MECH vs MRR

I value input. :)

Edited by 12Alfa

No frontal shots by me - didn't see any tanks. Very very open area for initial BP - nowhere to hide from ATGMs as whilst engaging one and withdrawing another killed me - about 1km of open ground behind.

Improves

Need to avoid big open areas for deployment. 

Sort out callsign nomenclature in briefing

Sustains

Intra plat work was good for 2A at least

Keep up working on inter platoon co-operation

We were run over in short order but still things to take away.

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

It looks like from the AAR that the first two tanks in 2A were destroyed by T-72 APFSDS shots.

I didn't see any missile hits, perhaps later?

Didn't see that - I looked through scope and thought I saw a missile 1 sec from impact but if you have looked at AAR then must have been sabot but didn't live long enough to see it!

7 hours ago, chrisreb said:

Didn't see that - I looked through scope and thought I saw a missile 1 sec from impact but if you have looked at AAR then must have been sabot but didn't live long enough to see it!

10 hours ago, chrisreb said:

No frontal shots by me - didn't see any tanks. Very very open area for initial BP - nowhere to hide from ATGMs as whilst engaging one and withdrawing another killed me - about 1km of open ground behind.

Improves

Need to avoid big open areas for deployment. 

Sort out callsign nomenclature in briefing

Sustains

Intra plat work was good for 2A at least

Keep up working on inter platoon co-operation

We were run over in short order but still things to take away.

Thanks for the input.

Will place in mission brief, the call-signs, that being said, onlty(2) callsigns were different from the above manning list I believe, the CO, and XO. Both were sorted out in the first 15 min\s. All First Clash missions have the Canadian Templates ie: CO-Niner. XO- BC   Bee SEE (Battle Captain)

But your point is taken.

I do not micromanage Troop BP's, So it's clear, They are a general area in which the TP LDR's can position their troop, I just need to know if you make adjustments, no issues when you feel a better placement is found, that's why I pay you guys, to make sound judgments on the ground, I trust you will do your best. :)

Next mission will be out sooner for planing by troop/Plt to get a feel of the ground, and orders/questions.

Edited by 12Alfa

3A was the victim of a hit and run. We deployed south to the highway on the southern boundary, (trusting Speckfire's instincts that the southern edge was being run) just in time to see the Soviets rolling west down the highway. Our little gun fight lasted about 45 seconds, before we were aerated by 125mm. We had no opportunity to set up in flanking positions, this was clearly a head on collision.

Edited by dpabrams

9 minutes ago, dpabrams said:

3A was the victim of a hit and run. We deployed south to the highway on the southern boundary, (trusting Speckfire's instincts that the southern edge was being run) just in time to see the Soviets rolling east down the highway. Our little gun fight lasted about 45 seconds, before we were aerated by 125mm. We had no opportunity to set up in flanking positions, this was clearly a head on collision.

RGR, if you had to do this event again, what steps would you take to avoid the head on collision?

Just jumping in - I would have used mines in open area and had BP more to the sides at say 45 degree angle to OPFOR likely MLA. Whilst I was only Plat Sgt I did not feel that the platoons could support each other given the frontage. If you have T72s barrelling down at you and other plats could not engage I am not sure what you can do - either engage head on or run if dead ground sufficiently near. In either case 30 or so secs is all you have before destruction. With Leo 1's I guess I am saying just put the BPs out of the direct lines of OPFOR advance and try to hit them from concealed positions as they roll by into prepared fixed defences.

If we knew the enemy was taking that southern boundary highway, I might have deployed into 2 sections in depth along the highway. One section forward in the woods along the highway to engage from a "keyhole" BP down the road, and the second section to cover one's retrograde move rearward to cover and secondary BP's. Leap frogging rearward. 

10 minutes ago, chrisreb said:

Just jumping in - I would have used mines in open area ...

I'm sure if the Squadron Commander had had mines, they would have been deployed.

Mines, like most obstacle / defence stores are held centrally and allocated by the senior commander to the piece of ground that needs them most (perhaps not you). They also take time to deploy.

If the Sqn hd been allocated this ground for some time (say 1 week +) then an obstacle / defence plan would have been developed, assuming mines were allocated. If it was a short notice activity to "fill a gap" then its likely you would not get these "extras". :)

There were mines that commanders could deploy along with wire at the start of the scenario. They were laid behind us which would have been fine if there was anything left by the time OPFOR got there to defend the obstacle. My alternate suggestion was to have been more off to the side and engaged as they reached the mine barriers and this might (I say might) have given us more flanking shots. On the other hand they may still have been too numerous to have even noticed us!

Edited by chrisreb

I believe that 1A and 2A had LOS to the sides.

This may be a good time to discuss BP's as we are trained, if not for a teaching lesson, for those not trained in the task.

Let it be known, I'm not faulting anyone, just putting out some info for a commander to consider.

The troop BP has certain elements, Lines of fire, security, concealment, covered approach, and covered with-drawl routes.

-So the Troop leader finds the above, then tells his other 3 commanders the left/ right arc of the troop.

-Then he gives each commander his arcs, to which overlay each other within the troops arcs.

-He, as the Ldr commands the fire for each tank. this can be done in a few ways, tank arcs, enemy type assigns to each call sign, rotation etc. When to engage is critical also, when 1st sighted,flank shots,rear shots, certain veh types, etc. Shooting when one see's the first AFV is not always best, The Troop leader will think about his best option to inflect the most damage.

-TP LDR commands each fire team "up" in the firing position from a hidden position as required so as not to expose all of his tanks (situation dependent) and for re-loading drills. Having all tanks up and firing has the draw back of most tanks will run out of ammo at just about the same time, and exposing all to enemy fire with no one really observing the flanks, or where he fire (s) are coming from.

-Good Troop Leaders have their troop practice this in the BP prior to any engagement so all are in the know on how the troop will engage to them in any direction.

-Individual commanders will practice   moving from turret down to hull down in the BP, as well as their arcs for the gunner.

There is a lot to do in the BP, it takes practice and training, but a few of the above must be employed in any mission if you want to survive.

We at the 1 CAD can set up training sessions for those who want training in this type of tasking, we have in the past with our new members and will again I'm sure, just advise us of your needs.

Just my 2 cents, and again not point any fingers here, the last mission was difficult, life is not fair.We learn from our mistakes.

Edited by 12Alfa