Infantry Training levels?

Gibsonm

Hi,

After trawling through numerous release notes I found that Infantry training levels are defined as "Elite, Regular, Conscript, Milita and Untrained"

That is fine except in the Mission Editor the options are "A, B, C, D and E"

Does A = Elite or does A = Untrained?

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

"Which" English have you chosen as "your English" in the Options Menu?

This may be at the core of the issue. I think we changed the A...E denotion (because it was non-intuitive) in the American English strings definition. But other language files may have escaped that change.

• Members

Well, you can always review the pstrings.txt for this and other peculiarities and push an update my way (possibly through the AU chain of command if you want to do it by the letter). I mean, we also changed the designation of the 3D characters several times, maybe you find the US American strings better than the original as well.

That would seem to be the case (English (US) has the expanded choices). However I had thought that all the language choices were as developed / complete as each other.

I'm happy to keep the AU choice now that I know the translation of levels.

Also its the language that all the Australian installations are set to, so its our standard - I can't speak to Australians who think they are Americans, but people in WA are "unique". ;)

• Members

Well, "we" maintain US English, and copy our (new) strings over to "the other Englishs". But we don't revise old strings as we can never be sure if the customer for whom that language option was added will actually appreciate our meddling (more often than not, they don't). So, maintenance of the language files falls back to the main (.mil) customer using that language option.

Unfortunatley the network isn't built like that.

There are multiple independent networks (roughly one per site). There is no single training WAN that everything is connected to.

Nor does that account for the various trainee laptops, issued to soldiers, etc.

MUCH easier to wait for release X.XXX and roll it out then when the disruption is worth it.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
5 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I'm less excited about editing pstrings and then getting it copied to X hundred machines. :)

That's not the idea. We would add a modified pstrings.txt to the next software release, so it gets automatically installed with the next rollout. It's just that such a modification needs to be initiated on your end to make sure it reflects the intent/consent of the Australian program manager.

15 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Also its the language that all the Australian installations are set to, so its our standard - I can't speak to Australians who think they are Americans, but people in WA are "unique". ;)

I did have my language preferences set to AU once, but some of the voice acting is terrible (imagine the sound of a cat having its guts pulled out through its arse), so i went back to U.S. option. Also mods.