Flight Sims

Apocalypse 31

oh yea 2.5 is glorious. though i mostly play in  DCS to for the aircraft simulation experience ., not for dedicated ground forces/ combined forces play, which is tad but too arcadey to replace let alone rival Steel beasts^_^

Now with 2.5 out, Hornet anticipation time.

Edited by Kev2go

I to mainly use DCS for flight simulation and I agree with regards to a rival Steel Beast, although I don´t think that´s the intent on behalf of iether.  But there´s a option within DCS World to have a joint multiplayer experience (land/air), so at this point we are missing the full motto "Land/Air/Sea", as there´s no playable ships yet in DCS.  Besides that, and without being to picky, CA dose add some flavour and a challange to the Air Forces. 

The thing is that most DCS pilot wings (SQD) just don´t want to add CA to there plotted missions.  Which is something I never understood, because they rather blow up scripted AI armor/SAM then a real life opponent behind CA.  Hope this changes in a near future.

Airworthy is great in DCS but at times I think the mix of "era" airframes is a bit on the handycap side, but with the upcoming F/A-18,  future F-14, and F-4 things will be more even within there eras.  Although I have the Dora, for WWII I prefer iL-2, but that dosen´t mean that flying the P-51 and/or Dora/109/Spity are a bitch to fly... well land and take-off´s are a tricky deal :D

--

Edited by Red2112

23 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

I to mainly use DCS for flight simulation and I agree with regards to a rival Steel Beast, although I don´t think that´s the intent on behalf of iether.  But there´s a option within DCS World to have a joint multiplayer experience (land/air), so at this point we are missing the full motto "Land/Air/Sea", as there´s no playable ships yet in DCS.  Besides that, and without being to picky, CA dose add some flavour and a challange to the Air Forces. 

The thing is that most DCS pilot wings (SQD) just don´t want to add CA to there plotted missions.  Which is something I never understood, because they rather blow up scripted AI armor/SAM then a real life opponent behind CA.  Hope this changes in a near future.

Airworthy is great in DCS but at times I think the mix of "era" airframes is a bit on the handycap side, but with the upcoming F/A-18,  future F-14, and F-4 things will be more even within there eras.  Although I have the Dora, for WWII I prefer iL-2, but that dosen´t mean that flying the P-51 and/or Dora/109/Spity are a bitch to fly... well land and take-off´s are a tricky deal :D

--

I would like to participate with other like minded players in some sort of joint air ground VU.

I did contact the Grim reapers VU (DCS VU) reference same. they did show some interest.

If enough people show interest i will make further contact with them. 

I can attest that we have had numerous DCS multiplayer sessions in our group where Combined Arms is incorporated. Many misisons are Huey missions where we insert troops and then command them to assault various objectives as we insert more troops or run CAS for them. IN this way an entire campiagn is fought over mutliple sessions with meaningful battles on the ground which we can support from the air. Sometimes someone will be a TACP,  though we seldom actualy fight inside the tanks, they are nowhere near as awesome as Steelbeasts. It is a great of wargaming and flight simming combined.    Los

dcsbtl.jpg.a41168acbbf8345cf357d3502e5f27e3.jpg 

I tried to implement CA in my older VU. I did a training mission which consisted of each side having CA, with a JTAC operator (FO), and a K-50 for support and lasing/JTAC practise.  This way we would have air (K-50) and ground (CA) elements in the same mission controlled by players, with no AI what so ever.  The point was to get people involved in a multi-task enviroment and be proficient with joint tasking.

The problem was that being my older VU mainly a VFS (Virtual Fighting Squadron), with most instructors of each wing having the "top-gun" ego trip sindrome, they didn´t like the Idea of real ground OPFOR messing with there "confort zone".  For them it was alot easier to bomb some ground AI, then RTB and call it a day!

Virtual pilots will accept getting hit by Air to Air from a real OPFOR, but getting hit by a real OPFOR SAM site hurts there ego real bad! :D  "Hear the guy laughing in the SAM kill video above!"

Any how, the difficult part is having some good pilots on your VU in order for all of this to work.  CA against CA is cool, but the real deal is when both have air support, that´s were DCS shines.

Thank you! Will try it at once ^_^ The preview pictures look so nice.

Hope someday we will have a game with SB (for tanks) + DCS (for planes) + ARMA (for infantry) + SAM simulator (like an extra) super mixed in a total war simulator B|

Edited by Vikingo

I have not flown the DCS Gazelle for a while but the last time I did, that thing was surely not well coded regarding how a helicopter should behave in some parts of the flight and aerodinamics envelope.

Maybe they have fixed that but I cannot say since I have not flown 2.5 yet

The problem I see with helos is weapon range.  If there´s a long range SA site along your route your in trouble.   The thing is to knock out the SA with your SEAD flight first, just as long as you have SEAD in your mission. :D

Edited by Red2112

On 12/2/2018 at 12:15 AM, mpow66m said:

how do i get my CA module t work for 2.5?i bought it 2 yrs ago.

It dosen´t take into account when you bought it.  Download 2.5 and if you have 1.5.8 still, the dowload installer will get files needed from that version and some.  Once the install is complete you have to install the modules again, the same deal here, the module installer will get the files needed from your 1.5.8 and some till the modules are installed.  After that, you can either have two version´s or just 2.5, that´s up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

IL-2 Sturmovik Cliff of Dover, by 1C Games, also got a nice update two months ago.  It officially now adds the Team Fusion mod with added improvements and airframes.  This mod was out some time ago, TF worked very hard to fix/patch all the bugs that 1C left behind in there CoD title, so if you wanted to fly CoD in a decent manner, then you needed to install the TF mod.

This new version of CoD is now called, IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz edition.  It´s free for all of those who already own the original (Steam) version.  You don´t need to have the original installed (as long as you own it), just download the newer Blitz version.

Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/754530/IL2_Sturmovik_Cliffs_of_Dover_Blitz_Edition/

Slowly getting back to flight mode again... :D

Red

Glad you liked it!

I agree too.  It just shows that you can get alot out of DCS.  Some don´t like the learning curve of a new airframe, but for me that´s part of the fun too.  Once you get it down, you get the sence of achievement in return, you see the effort that´s been put into the model, and how close to real it can be (to a degree).  Overall it´s a great experience, specially with others as the Reapers are showing.

I even like there debrief´s! :)

BTW, they use Tacview which is a great tool!  

http://www.tacview.net/

Red

Edited by Red2112

What I like most about the Reapers is that they combine ArmA and DCS missions. Really great for building immersion between the air and land aspects of their campaigns.

Although, their ArmA skills are not high, and their sessions are not usually as serious as their flights in DCS.