Flight Sims

Apocalypse 31

13 hours ago, thewood said:

they should shutdown in-house releases for six months and just clean crap up.  I know that is unlikely because of cash flow reasons

Sometimes i feel that way about this other game... 😉

Edited by Bond_Villian
winky face emogee added for ironic butthurt reduction purposes, and to better illustrate humorous intent, for the benefit of sensitive internet wankers.

1 hour ago, Bond_Villian said:

Sometimes i feel that way about this other game...

I have to say, this is one of the more insulting comments I have seen towards these devs.  Is the game perfect?  No.  Could they release more frequent patches to address issues?  Yes.  But the SB devs are more communicative, honest, and transparent than most devs will ever be.  When an SB product is released, its in pretty good shape and complete.  There is no Early Access churn you see with most modern developers.  Go to the DCS, ARMA, or BFC boards and see how long you have to wait to get anything fixed.

To make a comment like that, I have to assume you are so incredibly dissatisfied with the game, that I have to wonder why you play it.  Why waste your time where you feel you have to be so passive aggressive to feel any form of satisfaction.  I mean, there must be other detailed combined arms games out there that are perfect enough to spend your valuable time on.

Really?  I could say the exact same thing.

SO some people just don't have the skill to understand how what the write or speak gets interpreted.  So I'll ask...do you really think how the SB devs work is on par with a company that has a pretty poor reputation for delivering unfinished product and abusing the Early Access concept?

Edited by thewood

It´s hard to consider anything "finished" in the computer world, as everything is pretty much evolving constantly, weather it be with patches, updates or additions. Then you have the dependency of hardware and OS, which they too are in constant changes.  So there´s always a chance that a fix, breakes something else, or a update needs other things to be fixed.  So is anything really finished?  In a way, if you Isolate yourself and your PC from the world, but even then there will be some aspects that never got fixed of what ever hard/soft you have installed.  Nothing is perfect, the same way that people are not perfect playing a game...

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Red2112

On 2/29/2020 at 6:33 PM, Captain_Colossus said:

i never played dcs before, i just downloaded it and played the su-25 tutorials.

the environment of course looks fantastic in most cases. it amazes me both what modern computers and programmers have accomplished, in some cases if you squint, this looks almost like reality and not cartoon like which video games and computer simulations have tended to look like until the technology has caught up to reproduce images and scenes that look like reality. the light reflection of water, the wave mechanics, the way the shallows are represented look like something you would see in real life. the engine is smooth and fast, but i think there are obvious corners cut for why that is so, one being that the woods seem to be transparent, they look great, but the computer doesn't expend computation cycles calculating lines of sight through or around them, which affects the simulation results.

is it fun? i'm not sure. maybe because i never was a fan of jets or at least the computer representation of flying, but at least the tutorials feel sterile. it looks great, it manages to represent the feel of a machine with momentum and energy and a human being shaking and bouncing around inside the cockpit and sun glares and all this good stuff,

but something still seems missing. maybe it's the convoluted control schemes which just inherently make it less fun to get to business, fly around and blow up things, i found the key mapping and muscle memory non-intuitive and feel like fighting the interface rather than opponents, making the experience a lot less fun. it almost goes to an extreme modeling certain procedures, and i question whether some of the details are overkill and unnecessary. still i've heard commentaries that VR technology like occulus rift take it to another level and once users experience it for the first time, there is no going back to the 2d computer screen.

i see potential in the engine, since it is so detailed, in theory any kind of computer game imaginable could make use of it; this could be the engine to have the universal combined arms simulation from jets to ships and submarines that everyone was attempting for decades in the commercial market. not that the developers intend for it,

but if technology continues to evolve this way, rpgs, pure strategy games zombie apocalypse, sci fi exploration or whatever you imagine represented in this quality with the caveat that the big game developers like electronic arts seem mainly uninterested in a detailed world like this for their games, they still produce the mass market movies on rails ego shooters like

call of duty and so forth rather than detailed open worlds.

IMO.

Eagle dynamics missed an opportunity on a joint venture to bring SB to DCS world. 

Besides the obvious advantages for game play. and a much expanded milsim community 

I believe it would have added that missing element in the DCS world environment. (A less sterile environment) 

I have dabbled with combined arms and its fun but not a simulation its more akin to WOT then SB.

And i think ED have pretty much abandoned it as a module.

take for example using the su-25's shkval tv sensor to use guided missiles and bombs. try fling the aircraft on a stable approach route while at the same time using the combination of required keys to slew and zoom and frame the sensor around a target- the dexterity required with the convoluted key mapping makes

this procedure not fun at all, it's too difficult. they could pare down the amount of key procedures by making some redundant, for example, instead of zooming the sensor out with minus (-) and zooming in with equal (=), they should make one key for both functions, press it once to zoom in, press again to zoom in, press again to

zoom out and so on. instead every single function must have some unique key procedure assigned to it, and these are often combined with right ctrl or left ctrl or the space bar and so on. with your fingers tripping over these bizarre key assignments while trying to lock the tv sensor while flying is a poor interface decision. might be more possible from  a stable hover in helicopter, but a flying jet which is shaking and buffeting and drifting- good luck

Edited by Captain_Colossus

The same happens with the Kamov Ka 50 (Black Shark). Done it, and can be done. Most serious flight simmers have two monitors, and added key pads to assign key-strokes, read +500 page manuals etc.  Then some complain there´s not enough realisim, or it´s to arcade like... Someone ALWAYS has to complain. Especially when they don´t have it there way, aye Sir!

What ever you play, ENJOY the ride!

But no, then someone will bitch at one because you misfired, like if there life depended on it, or if you were under there command in RL. To miIsim when they play, but then, oh this is to geek for me. Yeah sure, been playing for the last 50 years, and I can tell what wheel rim belongs to each AFV hidden in the bushes by only seeing the wheel rim.  Looks away when he hits blue on blue! No thanks!

DCS has been at it for 20 years or so, BIG fan base, that means something weather some agree or not. Fanbois or not, theres plenty of them, for the good, and the bad.  There´s NO one ring to rule them all, but at least it´s as close as a combined arms sim can get for now.

GUNNER FRONT!

im not interested in any of that. politics between arguing players aside, the interface is this clunky, anyone planning on purchasing might want to have this information before committing. it is good that there is a demo to try, it is highly recommended from this non fanboi and non self described geek to get a sense of what its like before purchasing modules out of the gate. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2020 at 12:01 PM, Captain_Colossus said:

im not interested in any of that. politics between arguing players aside, the interface is this clunky, anyone planning on purchasing might want to have this information before committing. it is good that there is a demo to try, it is highly recommended from this non fanboi and non self described geek to get a sense of what its like before purchasing modules out of the gate. 

There's a demo for combined arms?  You must just be talking about DCS overall.  The free SU25T is a real gem.  I have all of the helicopters (best part of DCS IMO), the FA/18C/Supercarrier, A10C, Harrier, PG, and Vegas Maps.  Hind will be next on my list.  I'm a ground attack guy for the most part...same reason I like SB.  You have to have a HOTAS to play DCS, and head tracking.  Also rudder pedals if you like helis.  Thousands of hours just to learn the systems.  HOTAS also works well for SB from my limited time with it thus far.

Edited by aleader

On 3/1/2020 at 7:44 PM, Captain_Colossus said:

try fling the aircraft on a stable approach route while at the same time using the combination of required keys to slew and zoom and frame the sensor around a target- the dexterity required with the convoluted key mapping makes

this procedure not fun at all, it's too difficult

This is why I no longer play DCS. It's not fun for me. It is purely a cockpit simulator focused on smashing buttons rather than focusing on combat.

The other issue that I have with DCS is the awful damage model. Blast damage isn't modelled, so unless your bomb or rocket is a direct hit, you won't be killing anything. I laugh at these guys who spend thousands of dollars on those wild sim pits. For what? 

Finally, their "game" doesn't feel like a game, particularly multiplayer. The UI, specifically is lacking so much information that it becomes hard to work with other players. 

I think there's tons of potential but it's not being explored. DCS World is an incredibly powerful game engine; I've played Battalion sized multiplayerscenarios with air support in a combined arms capacity and everything went smoothly.

ED seems to be doing well with their model of releasing a slew of projects (although unfinished) and has no reason to fix anything else since most of their players don't care 

• 2 weeks later...

DCS WW2 vehicles are now playable!

Armor Car:

• Sd.Kfz 234/2 Puma

Assault Gun

• StuG III Ausf. G
  • StuG IV

Cruiser Tanks

• Centaur IV
  • Cromwell IV

Heavy Infantry Tank

• Churchill VII

Heavy Tanks

• Pz.Kpfw VI Ausf B Tiger II
  • Pz.Kpfw VI Tiger I

Medium Tanks

• Pz.Kpfw IV Ausf H
  • Pz.Kpfw V panther Ausf G
  • M4 Sherman
  • M4A4 Firefly

Tank Destroyer

• Elefant Sd.Kfz.184
  • Jagdpanther G1
  • Jagdpanzer IV
  • M10 GMC

DCS: WWII Assets Pack

ED Forums - View Single Post - DCS World Weekend News

Why bother if you don´t play  it, and/or like it as stated in above post?

Nothing is perfect, and we have what we have...  

More so, the core game is free and you get a couple of airframes to play around with, along with a editor.

1 minute ago, Red2112 said:

Why bother if you don´t play  it, and/or like it as stated in above post?

Ironically, I really enjoy the ground component of the game. It's a little gamey and has bugs but can produce some really great battles, and is really fun.

My most enjoyable time in DCS was when I was playing with a small group, doing combined arms operations. We had 3 guys on the ground managing Platoon and Company sized units and 3-4 in the air flying in support.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find an active VU that is interested in integrating any ground combat into their operations. Most units only want to do air to air, and can't even comprehend how to include a ground element.