Does SB Still use .raw files?

Wax Savage

• Members

a) Yes, they are needed (most likely)

b) SB should still be able to read them. We try to maintain backwards compatibility.

HOWEVER, these files are practically guaranteed to not have proper latitude/longitude information. Steel Beasts will therefore pick the only logical location, somewhere near 47°9′S 126°43′W. You may need to change that in the editor, or be prepared for substantial UTM offsets to make the sun actually rise in the morning rather than the evening (note that the sun's zenith will be in the north if you keep the lat/long coordinate).

Scenarios that come with SB1 "raw" type height maps are pretty much guaranteed to have no weather information, no time of day settings, etc.

10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

a) Yes, they are needed (most likely)

b) SB should still be able to read them. We try to maintain backwards compatibility.

HOWEVER, these files are practically guaranteed to not have proper latitude/longitude information. Steel Beasts will therefore pick the only logical location, somewhere near 47°9′S 126°43′W. You may need to change that in the editor, or be prepared for substantial UTM offsets to make the sun actually rise in the morning rather than the evening (note that the sun's zenith will be in the north if you keep the lat/long coordinate).

Scenarios that come with SB1 "raw" type height maps are pretty much guaranteed to have no weather information, no time of day settings, etc.

Hi Ssnake,
Thanks for the response.

Generally, each of the old scenarios I found (circa year 2000) have two .raw files and one .sce file per scenario. The install notes (attached with the scenarios) instructed to put the two .raw files in their respective terrain and height folders. I put the .raw files in the ...Users/All Users/eSim Games/Steel Beasts/maps/terrain (and height) folders.

The maps editor did not recognize the .raw format but, when I forced the file extensions from .raw to .ter the maps editor could see and open the file. Once opened, I could see that the maps were very crude, little detail and the colors were shifted into some weird LSD induced dream. I erased all the .raw files and ran the scenarios with just the .sce file. Played okay.

My takeaway is using the scenarios written in the early days is questionable. Initial experience… the .raw format data isn’t needed.     

Edited by Wax Savage

• Members

Well, you can rename the large files to "hgt", and they definitely are needed; embedding height maps followed only later.

Renaming the small raw files to "ter" would allow you to edit the whole map; the scenario file has only the part of the tile map ("ter") embedded that it actually uses, which may be a smaller subset of the whole map. To just play an old scenario, the "ter" file isn't required, yes.

If you're confused now what I mean with "small" and "large" raw files - there's the reason why we changed the file extensions: Disambiguation.