Ammunition & Missile Effective Ranges?

Werewolf

Looking for the effective ranges of the various anti-tank missiles in SB Pro PE. Can't find any info in the docs (probably not looking in the right place).

Googled the ones I was interested in but - well - you ever seen the TV commercial about the French Male Model? Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true.

Is there a source recommended by the SB community as reliable and that matches the specs in SB (one wonders why they aren't shown when one chooses the ammo or unit).

59 minutes ago, Werewolf said:

Looking for the effective ranges of the various anti-tank missiles in SB Pro PE. Can't find any info in the docs (probably not looking in the right place).

Googled the ones I was interested in but - well - you ever seen the TV commercial about the French Male Model? Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true.

Is there a source recommended by the SB community as reliable and that matches the specs in SB (one wonders why they aren't shown when one chooses the ammo or unit).

The info is in the ammo setup screen when you adjust their ammo. Also when you give them a battle position the shaded area of the range arc is their effective range.

37 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

The info is in the ammo setup screen when you adjust their ammo. Also when you give them a battle position the shaded area of the range arc is their effective range.

That's really good to know. Feel pretty stupid for not figuring that out. Thanks.

1 hour ago, MAJ_Fubar said:

Umm...you could always check the wiki

I could - but Wiki's are notoriously incorrect. Anyone can change them anytime. Hell I won a bet once doing just that - changed a wiki. Bet a guy and told him to look it up. He used wiki - I collected $20 and changed it back. Last I checked where I lived the schools won't allow students to use wiki as a source for papers they write. 3 daughters - didn't understand why - so when my middle daughter was writing a paper about Abraham Lincoln I changed the name of his wife to hers and told her to look up his wife's name on wiki. She did. She understood. I fixed it back to Mary Todd. My other two daughters never did get it.

Wiki=Not Reliable

That said: Dark Angel supplied the answer to my question.

Edited by Werewolf
Update:

• Members
2 hours ago, Werewolf said:

the specs in SB (one wonders why they aren't shown when one chooses the ammo or unit).

Uh, when you create an infantry missile unit, select the proper weapon, then go to the Set Ammunition dialog, I just checked and the range is there; I don't think we changed the UI between version 4.023 (which I assume that you're using) and the version that I just fired up to verify.

Now, admittedly this is the range that we set for any given missile or round. For ATGMs I don't remember a single case where this wouldn't be identical with the nominal range that we can find in open sources; in some cases we add a few dozen meters if we positively know that the missile will continue to coast after the guidance wire rips (others are programmed to dive immediately, which is what we assume by default).

For gun ammunition the case is a bit more complicated, as the range that we set is also the limit beyond which computer-controlled units will stop using that ammo. Obviously, for a 120mm APFSDS round like the DM33 with a danger zone exceeding 120km, we only set whatever we deem reasonable to strike a decent balance between range and effective use/not wasting ammo by premature firing. Sometimes this is justified by the tracer burnout range, or because the ammo is so slow/has such a steep trajectory that even minor range errors will result in a miss. So, for unguided rounds the range in Steel Beasts is the limit for tactical employment by computer-controlled units, not necessarily the ballistic limit.

As far as the credibility of our sources is concerned, this is the sequence that we try to follow whenever we add a new round's parameters

1. Use a firing table
  2. Ask the customer
  3. Check Jane's Weapons - Ammunition 2016/17
  4. Check Jane's Ammunition Handbook 2009
  5. Check the internet for multiple sources
  6. Check Wikipedia, at least the English and the German version of a page

Occasionally we solicit advice from certain experts who, however, do not want to be named in public because they can't control the quality of our work and don't want to see their scientific reputation lend potentially undeserved credibility to Steel Beasts. We have to respect that.

If everything fails we go by plausibility and interpolation.

5 hours ago, Werewolf said:

Pretty sure my ATGM Tutorial scenario includes ranges as part of the information by weapon type.