SB Pro and Voice Attack

Werewolf

NOTE: for those not familiar with Voice Attack - it is very versatile PC voice control software created by a gamer for gamers.

I use Voice Attack with Elite Dangerous all the time. It is especially useful when used with a HOTAS control system. Never have to touch the keyboard - ever.

I'm thinking of building a profile for SB but figure some may already have done so. If so what is your experience with it and SB? Is it worth the effort to put a profile together (not hard - might take 30 minutes)? Does it add to the immersion factor.

If I put one together it would primarily be for vocal commands the TC would issue to the gunner, driver and loader.

What say you - what is your experience using VA with SB?

• 1 year later...
Older but exciting video of someone using a voice control program, Glovepie, with SB.

Now Glovepie’s EULA interdicts its use for military simulators, so I only show this as an example of how voice recognition can increase immersion enormously !

Guess I will definitely try Voice Attack

3 hours ago, Arvigna said:

i am not sure, have understood what you mean ( french) but you can use variable with jess

J'ai un problem avec dwvac. Il doit parler un nombre des sentences pour comprends le software. La meme commande voudrait plus des phrases pour registré. Desole moi mon Francais est preparatoire 😂😂

3 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

J'ai un problem avec dwvac. Il doit parler un nombre des sentences pour comprends le software. La meme commande voudrait plus des phrases pour registré. Desole moi mon Francais est preparatoire 😂😂

Yes it better for me to read your english than your french !! 😄😅

so in french

"Je n'ai pas essayé moi-même, mais le principal problème de Dwvac est la mauvaise interprétation des commandes.

À moins que je n'ai plusieurs phrases ou mots pour une commande, cela devient bizarre (et parfois drôle aussi)." google translate

Jess on my pc crash... i using "vocals" find too, in elite dangerous forum, it work good.

• 2 weeks later...

quick question regarding VA in multiplayer, or any voice recognition software. Is it possible to have two mikes in one pc? I use VA in flight simulation, but as I fly with VR I use the headphone´s mic for communications with the others (with PTT) and the Oculus integrated mike for VA. In this way the others don´t hear me giving orders to VA.

But in SB it´s not the case and I´m thinking on attaching a tabletop mic in the rear plug for the same purpose. I don´t want you people hearing me constantly saying "gunner, sabot!".

Said that, I´m gonna prepare a VA profile for SB, but in spanish. I´ll let you know when I´ve done it Should be easy enough to translate it into other languages. 

I use a considerably older software called Shoot, but here's what I do:

I only need one mic -- the headset one. Shoot is set up for Push-To-Talk, and so is TeamSpeak. I use a different PTT key for each.

So, since each app only hears/sends voice when it is keyed, TeamSpeak players only hear you when its dedicated key (or keys, the case of multiple whisper channels) is pressed; Shoot only responds when its dedicated key is pressed.

I have limited multiplayer experience, but the setup has worked fine thus far. It's just a matter of remembering which send-key to press. Admittedly, it's quite possible to get confused in the heat of the moment send on the wrong one ... but in general, multiple mics aren't needed if you use Push-To-Talk rather than voice-sensing or always-on.

• 2 weeks later...

That’s a simple question, but requires a long answer. 😊

The best place to start looking is in the manual of VA.

It goes over how to setup and edit profiles just fine.

In essence VA just ties voice input to keypresses to make the game do what you say.

So have the keybinds ready in SB and start configuring VA and you’re set.

Edited by Yskonyn

19 hours ago, sjr162 said:

can any of you guys tell me how to set up my voie attack profile for SB.  I am new to VA but not sB.  

as yskonyn said. In essence is a series of "when I say..." press this button and release it. Then you take the SB manual, decide which commands you want and start putting them in VA.

I would suggest starting with one or two simple commands.  That way you can get used to how to set up VA and how it works with SB.  If you want to use it with another communication program, such as Teamspeak, then you will need to set a separate key for VA to start listening.

I have made a basic VA profile yesterday which has all the basic default functionality and keybindings included straight from the SB manual for Commander, Gunner, Driver and Loader stations, plus formation calls. If you're interested I can upload it here for you (and others) to download.

It's just a basic "I say x" and VA makes the virtual keypress in Steel Beasts, nothing fancy with scripts and nifty automation you come across in advanced profiles like the one for ArmA 3 (Speakeasy) or DCS (Vaicom), but it gets the job done. At least for me.

One thing that can be tweaked is the variations of the voice commands. As it stands now, there is only one voice command per function, but people say things differently all the time. To elaborate: To make the Driver stop the vehicle you'll have to say 'Stop' in my profile. But some people might say 'Halt' or 'Brake' instead.

You'll need to add these into the profile if you want to use those commands.

Another example is for changing to other stations. Switching to the Gunner's position requires: "Change to Gunner" to be said, but you might also say "Switch to Gunner" or "Go to Gunner's position". These then need to be added.

Only the basic commands are implemented at this point, because as I am using the profile for longer, only then I become aware of what my personal habit is of saying commands and I tweak accordingly instead of just trying to come up with every possible variation in advance. YMMV.

3 hours ago, marcel said:

Hi Yskonyn,

Yes I would be very interested in your profile, was thinking of creating one myself. I use VA (Vaicom pro) for DCS and it works great.

Best, Marcel

Ok!

Let me prepare the profile and add some documentation so its useful to people who havent seen this thread.

Expect an upload tonight (GMT).

I have expanded upon the profile a bit to include several variants of the same commands to increase user friendlyness.

The profile has been submitted to the repo and can be found here:

Please let me know what you think.

If you have additions or suggested changes with respect to realism I'd love to hear it.

Edited by Yskonyn