Red2112

23 hours ago, Red2112 said:

I could not run SC with my old PC, so I never really got a chance to fully check it out. I made myself a new build some months ago, and just last week decided to install SC, which Iam happy I did.  It just happen to be a week after v3.7.0 Live came out, of which all of the hardcore followers say is the best and most playable patch to date.  They are fixing some bugs that came with the patch in the PTU branch (v3.7.1c), which most likely will be out very soon (maybe next week).  Patch v3.8.0 will be Live next month 23th with the upcoming CitizenCon 2949...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon

With that out of the way, I can say that with the actual state of SC (v3.7.0) there´s plenty of things to do and discover.  There´s about 250 missions you can take on to make money although SC is still not persistent yet, hopefully it will be very soon, so your status gets reset after every mayor patch.  In other words your progression is lost and money (aUEC) lost when v3.8 comes live.  For the most part, you can dogfight, hunt down bountys, do cargo runs, mine caves or astroids, rent ships, and  there adding harvest in v3.8 and group missions for example. You also have a criminal stat if you decide to be an outlaw.  There´s penty of things to do now and servers don´t crash like the past.  It´s alpha though but you can definitely spend hours and hours playing SC IMHO.

Thank you for the elaborate answer to my question! I'll check it out more closely - sounds like heaps of fun already. Just need to cut down on my game-time with NiteTeam4 :)

1 hour ago, Red2112 said:

IL-2 Great Battles; update v4.001 official release of Battle of Bodenplatte and Flying Circus.  Tank Crew gets two new scenario campaigns and will also be officially released soon...

https://il2sturmovik.com/news/504/update-4001-launched-battle-bodenplatte-and-flying/

Red

What? Tank crew release soon? Last time I tried it earlier this year it felt still many years away.

• 2 weeks later...

looks quite boring like the other mechwarrior games- always magic radars or what you see here pointing out targets behind mountains or buildings, well there's no hiding, therefore there are no ambushes, there's essentially no tactics other than these machines walking up to one another at close range with weapons turned on and circling each other until one explodes.

repeat over and over again. the weaponry seems less capable or less efficient than contemporary weapons on earth, they just beam one another and hold the fire button down. missiles raining all over targets with no effect, they keep walking around.

the pace of gameplay is too slow as an arcade action shootem up, too generic for a 'sim'

• Members

The background in the Mech verse seems to be that while mankind is still space faring, for some reasons there is knowledge decay in engineering and they basically just downgrade and downrepair things, so that's why you have laser gatlings but no tracked vehicles, or guided armor piercing missiles, orbital bombardments, high yield kinetic energy weapons and other stuff you might expect from far future ground combat set in the space age. The question is, can you license/call a game "Mechwarrior" that ditches this background lore.

Some people may be able to suspend their disbelief; personally, I think it should have T-Rexes as riding animals for infantry in power armor to joust the mechs if we're leaving the realm of the credible anyway, and nano dust grenades that melt faces.

On a more serious note, I fully agree with the magic radar critique, LOS limited detection, emission control, and some limited electronic warfare capability to create false targets would make it way more interesting. And, yes, some sort of infantry in power armor, maybe with jetpacks. And orbital kinetic energy bombardment. But then we're fully into combined arms combat simulation, and boy, that can get complex real quick.

CitizenCon 2049 starts tomorrow...

Funny how 2049 is also stated/set in Blade Runner as in Nov 2049!

Star Citizen (CIG) has said that they do plan to introduce "Titan" suits (armor) in a near future of there development. For all the Battletech heads out there 😉 

The Surge, is a game I had alot of fun playing.

Red

Edited by Red2112