Red2112

For those who enjoy Ground Branch

Developer Update

https://steamcommunity.com/games/16900/announcements/detail/2254561823450265854

INTEL UPDATE #006
Bad News/Good News
Alright, everyone—we got some expectation management to do.

As laid out in 
Intel Update #005, we've been struggling to get the new character rig (the skeleton) worked out and ready for the new animations and character assets, which were the core of upcoming update 1030.

So, earlier this month, we brought on board experienced freelance animator Mike Munk (a former Tripwire developer with Red OrchestraRising Storm and the Killing Floor series under his belt) to have a look at the new rig and help us make sure things were being done correctly and as future-proof as possible. The diagnosis wasn't great: upon inspection, it was determined that getting the skeleton in shape—so that it won't be a source of headaches down the road—would take several weeks; possibly a couple months.

Well, 1030 has been in the works for a long time now, and we don't want to leave you all without a new major update for that much longer.

The silver lining
So we made a difficult decision which, in retrospect, seems kinda like a no-brainer: let's release everything else. If it's not dependent on the new skeleton, why not put it out there and give everyone some new stuff to start trying out? Postponing the animation and character work sucks and we're beyond frustrated about being forced to delay the main attraction in the update, but as the old adage goes… it is what it is. Might as well make the best out of the situation, so that's what we're gonna do.

If we cut the animation and character work from 1030, you get a smaller update, yes, but you get it a lot earlier and have something to play with while we get the rest of the package sorted out. It also means less potential for new bugs, as well as getting older bugs (such as the VOIP randomly not working) fixed ahead of time.

What will remain in 1030?
Although we've been forced to push the new animations and character assets back, update 1030 will be far from underwhelming. Here's where it currently stands (for detailed descriptions and media, see Intel Update #005😞

Remaining features
Everything we've announced for 1030 that is not related to the character and animation rework will still be in the update:
  • [SCHEDULED] First pass on the Encumbrance System (weight and stamina).
  • [SCHEDULED] Interactive lights (shootable/switchable) – will be present in all maps instead of the announced few (Depot and training maps).
  • [SCHEDULED] 2 new multiplayer maps.
  • [SCHEDULED] Map soundscapes and updated acoustics.
  • [SCHEDULED] Tactical FAL and G3A3.

Delayed features
All character and animation-related work will be pushed back to a later update:
  • [DELAYED] New and updated character assets. They were made for the new skeleton's specs, and therefore will have to wait.
  • [DELAYED] New and reworked animations.
  • [DELAYED] M24 SWS, due to the bolt-action poses and animations.
  • [DELAYED] Prone.
  • [DELAYED] Hit feedback.

To-be-confirmed features
These may or may not make their way into 1030:
  • [TBC] Visible gunshot wounds.
  • [TBC] Wristwatch. Relies on the new clothes (with the cuffs pulled up) to show properly with long-sleeve tops, but we may be able to try a workaround.
  • [TBC] Listen servers, a.k.a. hosting your own games without having to setup a dedicated server. (This was not a planned feature for 1030, but might be ready for it.)
We've also updated the Early Access roadmap to reflect these changes and other minor ones.

Some sneak peeks to make up for it (not in 1030!)

As previously shown, 3D artists Dan Conroy and Pau Peñalver have been working diligently on some new assets for GROUND BRANCH. Here is a little update on their progress:

d5c83a5daaff8877f78879b9ed55195cc0154107

ba9e1639f08305c500ba8262774875707e30d642

49f12f630758bd46d2bb5feada5e6e2ae3c2f06b

d37c4d83da81b43260c597eedfc17d167021c1d8

Thanks for the update on GR Apoc 👍

The future looks promising then. Especially if we can host our own server without the need of a dedicated client server as now.  That waist harness looks sick! Nice stuff.  I recently got two tactical bags (EDC´s) from Helikon-Tex (Poland) for this summer.

Played Nine to Five today as Alpha test team.  Can be very good IMHO, the 3 team vs 3 team makes it slow and with the need to comms among each other, even if you don´t know the other two players.  You are only a fireteam of three, so if anyone decides to go solo, the whole phase goes down the drain!  I think it´s a great concept.  Makes it quite challenging and tactical, with a big amount of a competitive role to the overall gameplay.  Can´t say much more then that...

Red

Edited by Red2112

1 hour ago, Red2112 said:

The future looks promising then. Especially if we can host our own server without the need of a dedicated client server as now. 

This will be an absolutely welcomed feature. Will be nice to play with a small, closed group of people rather than the general population. 

I recently got two tactical bags (EDC´s) from Helikon-Tex (Poland) for this summer.

I don't know anything about Helikon. My entire kit is from Tactical Tailor

2 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

This will be an absolutely welcomed feature. Will be nice to play with a small, closed group of people rather than the general population. 

I don't know anything about Helikon. My entire kit is from Tactical Tailor

I have a few garments from Helikon. I love their UTP (Urban) trousers, very comfortable and durable. Haven't tried their backpacks tho; mine is a First Tactical Half Day pack and I absolutely love it, even if its a bit a heavy.

1 hour ago, stormrider_sp said:

I have a few garments from Helikon. I love their UTP (Urban) trousers, very comfortable and durable. Haven't tried their backpacks tho; mine is a First Tactical Half Day pack and I absolutely love it, even if its a bit a heavy.

Tomorrow this should arrive...

In Coyote color

and this also in Coyote color...

Also have there Poncho which I use as a Tarp too.

Plan to get there Swagman Roll Poncho which you can hook up to there poncho as a liner...

@Apocalypse 31

Squad and Insurgency Sandstorm have both had a mayor graphical overhaul for the better lately, they both look and perform very good now.

Glad to see the flight model getting some love in SC...

and other features...

Red

Edited by Red2112
added content

I think the map is made by Matt Farrow from the Ground Branch team...

I've been following the progress on that map. Really great work. 

But I'm not touching it. Terrorist Hunt is too boring of a game mode.

Edited by Apocalypse 31

@Apocalypse 31

Is that going to be some sort of single player mini-campaign, or maybe co-op mini-campaign?

Really wish one could create his own client server without the need to rent one...

Don't think so. Squad does these "events" that are just regular MP games with a ruleset applied that makes it applicable to a specific scenario.